Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,071

1 members and 3,070 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Radiant Heat Pannels

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with radiant heat pannels and if so could give me some positives and negatives. Im looking to get an AP enclosure and i was told you could literally leave your cage in a walk in freezer with a raident heat pannel and a solid thermostat and it would keep your temps where you set them. I live in a cold house so if that's even closely true that would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Maybe not a walk in freezer LOL but yeah, if used with a reliable dimming thermostat like a Herpstat 1, they're a very reliable heat source since it heats ambient temp and not just a surface.

Better use them with a Herpstat though, because they do get way hotter than a heat pad would, if they are not reliably regulated.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (03-01-2020)

Thanks

Re: Radiant Heat Pannels

My old apartment was kept between 65 and 68 degrees in the winter. I have an 80 Watt RHP in each of 2 enclosures measuring 3x2x2. They held temps beautifully. You may need to adjust your air flow to help out by covering some vents in the cold. I didn't have to. I placed them in the hot side and they provide a good temp gradient through out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gunkle For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (03-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    Was wondering if anyone has any experience with radiant heat pannels and if so could give me some positives and negatives. Im looking to get an AP enclosure and i was told you could literally leave your cage in a walk in freezer with a raident heat pannel and a solid thermostat and it would keep your temps where you set them. I live in a cold house so if that's even closely true that would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.

Only with the proper wattage.

That’s why Pro-Products is considered the best. Bob will ask ask you what the coldest temperature could be so that you get enough heat for YOUR situation.

Otherwise you are gambling by haphazardly choosing on your own. Just because a 40 watt works for your size cage for someone in a home that does not get that cold, does not mean it will work for you. Maybe a 60 is fine and 80 or 120 is too much. Call Bob.
    Last edited by Reinz; 02-28-2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Add
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

gunkle (02-28-2020),jmcrook (02-28-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (03-01-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Only with the proper wattage.

That’s why Pro-Products is considered the best. Bob will ask ask you what the coldest temperature could be so that you get enough heat for YOUR situation.

Otherwise you are gambling by haphazardly choosing on your own. Just because a 40 watt works for your size cage for someone in a home that does not get that cold, does not mean it will work for you. Maybe a 60 is fine and 80 or 120 is too much. Call Bob.
    Wont the use of a solid thermostat keep the temps from getting too high? Im only getting the pannel to use for the ambient air temps. So i would not be setting it any higher than 80. Im planning on pairing it with the 300x2 its a almost $200 Tstat.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Sounds like you shouldn’t have problems since you have a T stat and you won’t be working your RHP hard with only ambient heating.

My point of getting the right wattage was 2 fold: one, a high enough wattage so it is not running wide open all of the time at 90-100% even with a T stat. This could lead to fire. From my understanding with Bob at Pro-Products, none of them are UL listed and his is or sort of is. I forgot the language he used, but his is safer.
    ‘Two, if you buy a lot more wattage than needed it will cost more.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-01-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (03-02-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Sounds like you shouldn’t have problems since you have a T stat and you won’t be working your RHP hard with only ambient heating.

My point of getting the right wattage was 2 fold: one, a high enough wattage so it is not running wide open all of the time at 90-100% even with a T stat. This could lead to fire. From my understanding with Bob at Pro-Products, none of them are UL listed and his is or sort of is. I forgot the language he used, but his is safer.
    ‘Two, if you buy a lot more wattage than needed it will cost more.
    Ill make sure I check into that, im considering either the 80 or 120 Watt. I live in a cold house and want to use it to bost air temps during winter. When summer comes i doubt ill even run it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-02-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Whoever told you that you can put a enclosure in 50 degrees let alone a Walk In Freezer is nuts. All I use are Pro Products, Herpstats and AP enclosures and thats about as false of a statement anyone could make while your shopping and looking for good info.
    Any room under 60 is a problem. Any room under 68 you need a good wattage. I run 120 watts for AP T12’s. Those are 4’Lx2’Dx2’H. I run the Herpstat on 80% power for these panels.
    I did have 80 watt panels and although they kept the Hot spot ok, in a room that falls below 68 at night the 80 wattage will struggle and the enclosures will loose heat on the coolside. I was not OK with 75 degree cool sides during winter at night when my house gets cooler. I do not allow any enclosure to drop below 79 degrees. I stepped up to 120 watt panels and turned down the power %. I suppose a happy medium would have been 100 watts but Bob did not have that choice years ago and Id rather have the juice incase my furnace broke during winter or something and the house got cold.
    This is also why your Tstat is so important. Most cheap Tstats do not have Power % choices etc... my 120 watt panels run less and in return lowered my electric usage rather than a 80 watt running wide open 24/7 on 100% power.
    Its about $20 difference between wattage on his RHP’s. Spend the extra $20 and be happy. Best of luck setting up your enclosure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (03-09-2020),Reinz (03-07-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Whoever told you that you can put a enclosure in 50 degrees let alone a Walk In Freezer is nuts. All I use are Pro Products, Herpstats and AP enclosures and thats about as false of a statement anyone could make while your shopping and looking for good info.
    Any room under 60 is a problem. Any room under 68 you need a good wattage. I run 120 watts for AP T12’s. Those are 4’Lx2’Dx2’H. I run the Herpstat on 80% power for these panels.
    I did have 80 watt panels and although they kept the Hot spot ok, in a room that falls below 68 at night the 80 wattage will struggle and the enclosures will loose heat on the coolside. I was not OK with 75 degree cool sides during winter at night when my house gets cooler. I do not allow any enclosure to drop below 79 degrees. I stepped up to 120 watt panels and turned down the power %. I suppose a happy medium would have been 100 watts but Bob did not have that choice years ago and Id rather have the juice incase my furnace broke during winter or something and the house got cold.
    This is also why your Tstat is so important. Most cheap Tstats do not have Power % choices etc... my 120 watt panels run less and in return lowered my electric usage rather than a 80 watt running wide open 24/7 on 100% power.
    Its about $20 difference between wattage on his RHP’s. Spend the extra $20 and be happy. Best of luck setting up your enclosure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Im planning on doing all pro products, the thermostat and the pannel. I think the dide was just over exagerrating about the walk in freezer thing. My house gets colder than 59 some nights and im able to maintain 77-79 air temps even in the dead of winter with a glass tank, my house never gets colder than 55. I appreciate the advise, ill def go with the 120 watt now that i know.

Last edited by NewmanLovesSnakes; 03-09-2020 at 01:43 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-09-2020)