Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 892

2 members and 890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Sahira Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lusiphera View Post
    She’s a beautiful little girl! I tend to add crystals into some of my snake enclosures as well. Is she your first? Be warned they’re like chips, it’s almost impossible to stop at one! Can I ask why you feed live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you! Yep she has some Brazilian quartz points in there along with a moss agate skull and a moss agate dragon head. I love the look they give to her enclosure

She is our first baby! I've been around balls since I was a young girl but have never owned one until her. I definitely am already planning my next purchase

I feed live for a wide variety of reasons actually. Primary among those being that she prefers live. It also means that if for whatever reason she ever refuses a meal (hasn't happened yet but I'm sure it will at some point) the rat can be kept until the following week, as opposed to having to throw it away and it having died for no reason. It also means that I'm avoiding the risk of bacterial blooms in the defrosted rat, issues with not preparing correctly, etc. F/t has a much greater risk of error when it comes to that. I also am opposed to storing dead rats in my freezer with the rest of my food. Plus I've seen the place where the rats I get are kept and raised and I can feel confident that the rats I purchase are healthy and being raised in a clean environment where they are well cared for. Bulk buying frozen gives you no such confidence. I'm extremely watchful when feeding as well, and am there to intervene in the unlikely event that anything goes sideways. Hope that answers your question.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Just finished adding some more clutter to Sahira's digs. I'm really happy with it! Believe it or not there are 3 large digital hygro/thermometers and a thermostat sensor hidden in there hehe. I'm pretty proud of how it looks.

I discovered upon removing her to change the substrate (currently using a mix of reptichip, coco fibers, and sphag moss) that she is in blue! So that's exciting. It's only her second shed with me so I'm anxious to see how it goes.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaRhea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-21-2020),Zincubus (04-22-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MamaRhea View Post
    Just finished adding some more clutter to Sahira's digs. I'm really happy with it! Believe it or not there are 3 large digital hygro/thermometers and a thermostat sensor hidden in there hehe. I'm pretty proud of how it looks.

I discovered upon removing her to change the substrate (currently using a mix of reptichip, coco fibers, and sphag moss) that she is in blue! So that's exciting. It's only her second shed with me so I'm anxious to see how it goes.

That looks simply amazing !!

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

MamaRhea (04-22-2020)

Thanks

Time for a Sahira update!

She shed in one long piece! It was super dirty so I carefully rinsed it off (we are going to make jewelry out of it!) and it was 24 inches long exactly. So my guess is she is probably around 19-20 inches long. My only concern with the shed is that the eye caps weren't connected to it. Does she look like she has stuck eye caps in any of the pictures? Do they ever come off separately? I'd like to know what you all think. And if you think they are stuck, any advice on how to get them off would be helpful. Also, how does her weight look? According to what I've seen online, her tail indicates that she's overweight, but I feel like the rest of her looks pretty good, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Enjoy the post-shed photo dump! She just keeps getting more beautiful with every shed. I will never get tired of that gleaming white belly and high contrast!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaRhea For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,790 Times in 11,825 Posts
    She doesn't look overweight to me, & her eyes look clear & bright, not like there are eye-caps stuck, though it can be very hard to tell sometimes, & they usually do come
    off with the shed. However, in several photos there are some white skin "edges" showing around her eyes, & that's from shedding...the skin will retract & not be noticeable before too long, it's just that it can get tugged out when the eye-caps are releasing...so IMO, it's more than likely she shed them & they're around somewhere. Maybe she hid them under her pillow, waiting for the eye-cap fairy...? (does she have a pillow? LOL)

She also has some nice iridescence on top of her head...a sign of good health. I'm curious as to what sort of "jewelry" you're planning to make with the shed?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-26-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MamaRhea (04-27-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    She doesn't look overweight to me, & her eyes look clear & bright, not like there are eye-caps stuck, though it can be very hard to tell sometimes, & they usually do come
    off with the shed. However, in several photos there are some white skin "edges" showing around her eyes, & that's from shedding...the skin will retract & not be noticeable before too long, it's just that it can get tugged out when the eye-caps are releasing...so IMO, it's more than likely she shed them & they're around somewhere. Maybe she hid them under her pillow, waiting for the eye-cap fairy...? (does she have a pillow? LOL)

She also has some nice iridescence on top of her head...a sign of good health. I'm curious as to what sort of "jewelry" you're planning to make with the shed?
    That's such a relief about the eye caps! (eye cap fairy I'm dying) and yes! She's always so shiney and sheeny after her shed, I love it!

This is the end results of the jewelry! I'm pretty pleased with how they came out given that this was my first attempt! I'll make a how-to post separately in case anyone else wants to try.

*Edit I have no idea why some of the pictures look like a broken lcd screen lol, I'll try to fix

Last edited by MamaRhea; 04-27-2020 at 12:51 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaRhea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-27-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,790 Times in 11,825 Posts
    Very nice jewelry, as already noted on your separate thread. What a great idea, & when people ask, you can tell them about your sweet & beautiful "contributor" too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MamaRhea (04-27-2020)

Thanks

My most recent scale creations, along with a few pictures of my gorgeous girl She's almost ready to size up for prey items!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaRhea For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-04-2020),Bogertophis (05-04-2020)

Thanks

My little girl is growing fast! She was 197g last week 48 hours after feeding, and 182g today right before a feed. I think this is the week we break 200g!

Question : at what age/weight/prey size do you start spacing meals longer than a week?

Thanks

The Pied Princess has officially cracked 200g! She is now 233 (2 days after a rat pup). I can't believe how big she's getting It seems like yesterday we were bringing her home in a bitty deli cup

Last edited by MamaRhea; 05-28-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast