Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,080

2 members and 3,078 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Sahira Progression Thread

I have conquered the freaking thermostat I think!!! Well, kind of.

It has stayed steadily between 88-90 (on the warm side) for 24 hours now instead of constantly dipping and spiking. Plus I figured out how to set an audible alarm if it ever gets too far out of range. If anyone is wondering, InkBird thermostats have the most confusing and difficult to read/understand directions EVER. It was kind of mid range in price between the Jumpstart thermostats and like a full blown Herpestat so I thought it was a good compromise between the two. At this point I think I made a mistake in that decision.

It came with two places to put a plug. Supposedly the second plug can be used for either a heating, cooling, or humidity element depending on the type of sensor you buy. The options are "temperature sensor" or "humidity sensor". However, after reading the d@mn directions for the umpteenth time, it looks like the second plug has to be for a "cooling" element or a humidity element. So far I can't seem to find a way to do this where it monitors two heating elements. If I let it think the second thing is a cooling element, it will turn the secondary heating element ON when it gets too hot, which is obviously the opposite of what I want. I was hoping to plug the heat mat into that, that way she can have both ambient heat and belly heat, and the thermostat would turn one or the other off as needed to keep the temps in the right range. (The mat has obviously not been plugged in while the thermostat was acting the fool). Now I am wondering if it's even configured to work that way. It's going to take another instructions study session to figure out if it can even be done. I think I would have been better off just buying two Jumpstart thermostats, one for each element, and skipping the InkBird altogether. *sigh*

On another note, a mystery was solved yesterday. The Mystery of the Hiding Dookey. I knew that she had pooped because she no longer had her bulge going on, and there was a random short lived humidity spike, So I KNEW she had pooped. But when I looked in her enclosure, I couldn't find it. I looked in all her foliage, in her humid hide, behind the rocks, under the vines, etc. No poo. She's on coco fibers so I figured maybe it just got absorbed or something? But then this weekend when I was lifting her warm side hide a bit to anchor the heat sensor under it, low and behold, she did a huge poo in her hide! I thought I had read somewhere that they usually don't go in their hides, but obviously that was either incorrect information or else Sahira is just an exceptionally sloppy lady LMAO. I didn't want to bug her too much since she just ate on Saturday, but I removed the big lumps real quick and will do a partial substrate change probably this evening or first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Ha! Mine poops in his hide every stinkin time!!!

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Turningstar For This Useful Post:

MamaRhea (04-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Don't believe everything they say... Plenty of snakes defecate in their hides. I've had LOTS of snakes, & NONE of them do invisible poo. Some like to leave it
    in their shed skin, some in the water bowl (like a bidet?), others just play hide & seek.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MamaRhea (04-04-2020)

Thanks

Been a while since I checked in so I thought I'd give an update!

Sahira is doing wonderfully. She weighed in at 117 grams empty last night and enthusiastically took a feed today. It was kind of a weird feed though. She struck in such a way that she must have cut an artery in the pup. There's never been blood before but there was tons of blood this time and the rat was white so it was super obvious. It got all over Sahira's pretty white scales. And then she tried to eat it at a weird angle so the arm was stuck going the wrong direction. She got it halfway down but then spit it out and started over. She did eventually get it down, and I gently cleaned her up a little to get most of the blood off her. I did make triple sure that none of the blood was Sahira's.

I finally figured out what was up with the thermostat! This is going to sound insane, but a piece of quartz was near the sensor. Not touching, just close to it. As soon as I moved it, the sensor started functioning properly. I think the energy from the quartz was interfering with the sensor. But all is well now. That's why it was working great before I did the substrate change and then it wouldn't work after. I added the quartz to her enclosure during the substrate change.

The other night my daughter was holding her and Sahira started crawling up her sleeve to her arm pit and she was CRACKING UP. It was hilarious.

I think she may be just *slightly* overweight. I'm not sure how that happened because I'm only feeding once a week and her prey items are technically a little too small by the "same size as the widest part of the body" thing. I'm not too terribly worried because she still has a lot of growing to do. I'll just keep her on this size of prey until she is looking a little less svelt haha.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaRhea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2020)

Thanks
    She looks fine to me, & very cute daughter too, btw. I'll admit to being terribly ticklish when snakes do that to me too...Oooo!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MamaRhea (04-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Very nice Pied, always move to see the kiddos getting into the hobby as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

MamaRhea (04-05-2020)

Thanks

I can't believe it!

Sahira weighed in at 154 grams today! That's 37 grams in just 2 weeks! That is so crazy to me. My baby is getting so big

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaRhea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2020)

Thanks
    They do grow up pretty fast, don't they? At least they don't go off to college...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MamaRhea (04-18-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    They do grow up pretty fast, don't they? At least they don't go off to college...
    Thank goodness! They learn python at home (nerd joke)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaRhea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2020)

Thanks

She’s a beautiful little girl! I tend to add crystals into some of my snake enclosures as well. Is she your first? Be warned they’re like chips, it’s almost impossible to stop at one! Can I ask why you feed live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast