Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

2 members and 2,898 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Mouse bite or Scale Rot?

Noticed this today on one of my snakes, I applied a minuscule amount of neosporin (all I had on hand) and cleaned her bin of reptichip and applied layers of dry paper towels, removed her water dish for the night just to prevent any moisture while I’m sleeping.
    I’ll put her water bowl back in tomorrow when I’m able to check on her more frequently.

I have about 30 snakes in my collection and they’re all kept in the same style rack systems with the same substrate (reptichip) at the same temperatures this girl does manage to spill her water bowl quite often but I’m usually on top of cleaning it up. If it is scale rot it looks like its the beginning stages and if I stick with this routine I should be able to stop it before it gets worse. I’ll get betadine tomorrow and give her a soak. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Mouse bite or Scale Rot?

Quote Originally Posted by Ballday View Post
    Noticed this today on one of my snakes, I applied a minuscule amount of neosporin (all I had on hand) and cleaned her bin of reptichip and applied layers of dry paper towels, removed her water dish for the night just to prevent any moisture while I’m sleeping.
    I’ll put her water bowl back in tomorrow when I’m able to check on her more frequently.

I have about 30 snakes in my collection and they’re all kept in the same style rack systems with the same substrate (reptichip) at the same temperatures this girl does manage to spill her water bowl quite often but I’m usually on top of cleaning it up. If it is scale rot it looks like its the beginning stages and if I stick with this routine I should be able to stop it before it gets worse. I’ll get betadine tomorrow and give her a soak. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Not sure.

However, if you use Neosporin, or similar, only use the one with anti-bacterial ingredient and not anti-bacterial and painkiller agent.

The painkiller part can be deadly to reptiles.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Ballday (02-27-2020)

Thanks

Re: Mouse bite or Scale Rot?

It’s the original neosporin, before I applied it I did some research and the information on using neosporin for scale rot is misleading to say the least, some people say to use it some say not to.

Most say it’s ok as long as it’s the original formula and you’re not treating a burn, which I’m not.

That’s the reason I did remove the water dish, just in case she did go in it and get the neosporin in the water and then drink it, definitely can’t be good. Also like I said earlier she does manage to spill her water quite frequently lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ballday For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-27-2020)