Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,013

2 members and 3,011 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Question about Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBython View Post
    But, it isn’t common for them to lay eggs at all, viable or not if they haven’t been bred?
    That's correct...most snakes don't do this to us, lol. Mine just happened to figure out how to torture me...

Another related thing: after mating only ONCE, some snakes will go ahead & lay fertile eggs for another year or several* even with no further mating. So think twice before you get into breeding snakes "just once" because they may not follow the "rules". *I had a corn snake that had fertile clutches for FIVE years with one mating.

Isn't nature a hoot!?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-28-2020 at 03:14 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Question about Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by MamaRhea View Post
    ... Sad that it seems like most of the babies are born with issues that make it difficult of not impossible to survive. I also didn't know that double clutches were possible, so I am learning all kinds of fun facts today LOL. That has got to take up a TON of energy from them to produce that many eggs every year! May I see pictures of the babies? By spinal defects I assume you mean like a kink of some kind? Sorry for all the questions
    When a solo female snake reproduces this way, the offspring have only one set of genes (from "mom") so there's a greater chance of defects. But if even a few survive, it can save the species when adults available for breeding become scarce.

Many snakes automatically do double clutches, IF they're in good health with plenty of food. But still, it takes a lot out of them: my female Florida rat snakes are much smaller than their male counterparts of the same age; the males are about 7' & hefty, while the females are about 5' & less heavy-bodied, despite crazy-voracious appetites year-round.

The one offspring with "spinal defects" has a mid-body kink, & some minor ones in her tail. So far, she's had no trouble eating & digesting food, & she's really sweet. (she'll take food calmly from my fingers while sitting in my hand sometimes, which is pretty endearing...) Sorry, I don't have pics (never take 'em, sorry).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-28-2020 at 03:34 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12