Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,133

3 members and 3,130 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Planning on a new BCI. General questions?

He's probably het albino Boa Imperator (BI). In other words, a normal BI, het albino and maybe jungle. Nice speckling and nice head spear.

What was he being fed? Do you have F/T of that available?

What are your temps and humidity?

Is that a temp probe or thermostat probe in the enclosure?

He's pretty small so you want to be sure to get him started properly.

Thanks

Unfortunately he has been eating live hoppers. I do want to switch to FT. That is a thermometer probe. I have an under tank heater with a dimmer for now. I have a thermostat coming here in 2 days. Right now warm side is around 85. Cool side is around 75 but I was just in process of setting up small heater next to his enclosure to bring up his cool side for him.
    Not even close yet to a finished product. I didnt plan on picking him up today, I think I just lucked out with finding him.
    What are good temps for him? He is in a 72 QT tub with hides on both sides. I have a zoo med UTH I believe for 30-40 gallons on one side. Trying to find ways to raise the cool end, but as my bedroom is room temp I think I will be stuck with a small space heater next to him all year long. Any ideas? It's a starlite tub, using forest floor mulch bedding. I doubt the UTH will raise the whole temp up to where I want it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
    Unfortunately he has been eating live hoppers. I do want to switch to FT. That is a thermometer probe. I have an under tank heater with a dimmer for now. I have a thermostat coming here in 2 days. Right now warm side is around 85. Cool side is around 75 but I was just in process of setting up small heater next to his enclosure to bring up his cool side for him.
    Not even close yet to a finished product. I didnt plan on picking him up today, I think I just lucked out with finding him.
    What are good temps for him? He is in a 72 QT tub with hides on both sides. I have a zoo med UTH I believe for 30-40 gallons on one side. Trying to find ways to raise the cool end, but as my bedroom is room temp I think I will be stuck with a small space heater next to him all year long. Any ideas? It's a starlite tub, using forest floor mulch bedding. I doubt the UTH will raise the whole temp up to where I want it.

Cool on the thermometer probe. You never want a thermostat probe in the tank where it can get spilled on and worse.

You should be checking ground temps with an IR temp gun. If you don't have one, get one yesterday. Those are much more accurate and easier to check temps with.

You want 86-90F hot side, I would aim for 88-90F, ambient/middle temp of about 81-83F and cool side of 78-80F.

UTH heaters will only warm what they touch.

Not sure what else to do with a tub, but maybe other rack people/tub keepers can chime in?

Humidity should be 50%+ in winter and higher in shed, or about 65% all year round preferably, with a small bump in shed to 70-75%.

BI's are very adaptable relative to BC's, in general, and can tolerate lower humidity in winter (mine drops - but never below 50% and always raised in shed). My summer average is 65-70%.

He will probably switch to F/T with zero issues. If you are worried, you can offer live for the first feeding and then switch, but it probably won't be an issue.

HOWEVER, leave him alone until feeding day - which should be in about a week. Let him get settled and then offer a F/T hopper.

If you have questions on how to properly defrost, ask, but in general, just let the prey thaw completely in room temp water and offer on tongs/tweezers, etc. Boas do not have heat pits like most pythons and go more on scent and sight, not heat.

I switched my BC to F/T from live and stunned in about 3 seconds. Boas eat anything. They are like the corn snakes of the reptile world (they rarely if ever refuse).

Any other questions, let us know.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-27-2020 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks

I do have a question on the thermostat probe. Where is a good place to put it when it comes in? Under the hide? Also, should it be under the bedding or above it? I notice it's a bit hotter under the bedding then it is above the bedding.
    Also I might be wrong. My cool side temps are hovering around 80 degrees. Maybe the UTH does raise the whole enclosure. Might not need my heater. Humidity is around 70 right now. But the bedding comes damp in the bag so I will keep monitoring it. Maybe add more holes If I have to in the enclosure. I will check again in AM.
    FT hoppers good for now? I plan on feeding in separate containers like I did in the past with other snakes. Once a week with just 1 hopper?

Thanks

I do have a question on the thermostat probe. Where is a good place to put it when it comes in? Under the hide? Also, should it be under the bedding or above it? I notice it's a bit hotter under the bedding then it is above the bedding.
    Also I might be wrong. My cool side temps are hovering around 80 degrees. Maybe the UTH does raise the whole enclosure. Might not need my heater. Humidity is around 70 right now. But the bedding comes damp in the bag so I will keep monitoring it. Maybe add more holes If I have to in the enclosure. I will check again in AM.
    FT hoppers good for now? I plan on feeding in separate containers like I did in the past with other snakes. Once a week with just 1 hopper?

1. Thermostat probes go outside the tub, between the UTH and the tub itself.

Larger tanks that use RHP's, or heat lamps, can have a probe, or probes, in the tank, but hanging on the wall, not were they can be sitting in spilled water, waste matter, etc.

2. 80F is fine for the cool side, but please, get an IR Temp gun so you know for sure. Do not rely on thermometers that take air temps.

3. You want to feed 1X a week a prey item that barely makes a dent. Boas are incredibly efficient and should be slow grown.

How old is this guy and how much does he weigh? Is a hopper (mouse) about the size of him at his biggest girth?

4. DO NOT FEED in separate container(s). This is a) a myth that it helps prevent bites in the tank (unless all you do is feed and never take out the snake) and b) you are more likely to get bit by a food hungry boa trying to move it in food mode.

As mentioned prior, hook train your boa, feed in the enclosure, and you will have likely zero issues. A 6FT male BI will cause a lot more damage than a 4ft BP in a food response bite. Boas are known to stay in food mode for days.

I commend you for asking good questions, but please take the advise of experienced boa keepers on here (not just me).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-27-2020)

Thanks

He's about 2 months old from what I'm told. So, the thermostat probe touches the uth itself? If I set the thermostat to 90 degrees wont the actual temperature above the substrate be lower than this? Or do I set the temp on the thermostat higher than what I want the substrate to be?
    And thanks about the info on feeding. I will feed in the enclosure. I assume mulch is ok If he swallows some?

Thanks

He's about 2 months old from what I'm told. So, the thermostat probe touches the uth itself? If I set the thermostat to 90 degrees wont the actual temperature above the substrate be lower than this? Or do I set the temp on the thermostat higher than what I want the substrate to be?
    And thanks about the info on feeding. I will feed in the enclosure. I assume mulch is ok If he swallows some?

Yes, you will have to adjust temps to get the correct temperature in the enclosure. It will probably be a little lower or a little higher.

Where did you get the mulch? What type is it?

I'll let someone else chime in, but unless it's specifically for reptiles and chemical and bug free, I would not be using.

Also, for new reptiles, paper substrate is best because you can determine better if the animal has mites etc. I would consider paper substrate for now and then maybe a coconut husk substrate or something safe to digest later.

Thanks

Petsmart. Forest bedding. For reptiles. All this makes sense. So even if I have to set the thermostat to say 100 degrees right on the mat, that 100 degrees wont burn him if he burrows?

Thanks

Petsmart. Forest bedding. For reptiles. All this makes sense. So even if I have to set the thermostat to say 100 degrees right on the mat, that 100 degrees wont burn him if he burrows?

The hottest spot he touches should not be over 90-91f. There shouldn’t be so much substrate that there is a discernible difference either.

Start with 86f give some time. Then slowly go up.

Read the ground temps with the IR temp gun. Do not rely on the thermostat probe temp. Again. You will have to adjust.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (02-27-2020)

Thanks

What do you guys use for regular substrate? I work up this morning and humidity is 89%. I'm going have to do something after work. I wonder if thay forest mulch holds too much humidity. Maybe drill more holes. I have 6 down each side.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast