Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,418

1 members and 1,417 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Planning on a new BCI. General questions?

Thanks for reading. I'm currently planning on getting a male BCI. This would be my 1st ever boa. I have had multiple ball pythons, corn snakes, king snakes over the past 20 years, but got out of the hobby about 4 years ago. Since I was young I have always loved the looks and demeanor of red tails. I just had some general questions.
    I plan on purchasing this hopefully at the reptile expo in 2 weeks here in upstate NY. Hopefully some of the vendors have BCI. Am I correct in thinking that a male BCI will normally be smaller than a female? I don't know If I want to get a huge 10 foot monster which is the reason why I'm looking at BCI and not BCC. I absolutely love the colors of true red tails though. The basic light tan look. Any recommended species that I should look at that in general is docile but wont grow huge and have my wife worry it's going to look to eat her cats? Lol.
    Also, with my ball pythons, I always housed in a rubbermaid/Tupperware container with a Uth. Can I house a young boa also in a Tupperware? As he grows I would like to upgrade to something more sturdy with a lock and plexiglass so we can see him better, but I rather keep it simple for the 1st few months while he grows. Also, if I use Tupperware, I usually get a small uth and put on one side with a dimmer for protection, any suggestions on raising ambient heat on his cool side? House is room temperature.
    Thanks for reading, I'm sure I will have more questions before I make this purchase. Thanks.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome back to the hobby!!! I took a few years off too, but have been back at it a few years.

I have all the answers you're looking for, but I'm a Red Sox fan, so I don't want to help you, Yankee fan!!!

Hahahhahaha, I'm just playing. I'm a die-hard Boston boy, who likes to have fun.

In all seriousness, I haven't ventured into boas yet, so I'll let others help you there.

I can say that, yes, a tub will work as a grow-out enclosure, though. But other than that I'll let the experienced boa keepers help you out.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Boas take 3-4 years to grow up to adult size so a tub can be used for quite a while. If the ambient in your home is fairly cool you can run two UTH's under the tub, one to create a hot spot of 88-90*F, the other around 80*F on the cool side. Put a hide over each and the water bowl in between them.

Males typically stay smaller than females, but they can still get to respectable size. I have three in the six foot range. If you want something smaller look at the Central American or Mexican localities.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-26-2020),richardhind1972 (02-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Planning on a new BCI. General questions?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
    Thanks for reading. I'm currently planning on getting a male BCI. This would be my 1st ever boa. I have had multiple ball pythons, corn snakes, king snakes over the past 20 years, but got out of the hobby about 4 years ago. Since I was young I have always loved the looks and demeanor of red tails. I just had some general questions.

Welcome back. I love BI's and have 2, as well as a male Dwarf BC.

I plan on purchasing this hopefully at the reptile expo in 2 weeks here in upstate NY. Hopefully some of the vendors have BCI. Am I correct in thinking that a male BCI will normally be smaller than a female? I don't know If I want to get a huge 10 foot monster which is the reason why I'm looking at BCI and not BCC. I absolutely love the colors of true red tails though. The basic light tan look. Any recommended species that I should look at that in general is docile but wont grow huge and have my wife worry it's going to look to eat her cats? Lol

Males generally stay smaller than females. How you feed is very important. Less is more with Boas. BI's generally stay smaller than the larger BC locales, but again, how you feed makes a big difference. If you don't want a monster snake, don't overfeed. Eventually, a properly fed BI can get big, but not 10 foot, most likely, especially a male. I know 20 year old females that were fed properly and are 7-8FT max and 15-20 pounds or so. Not 8FT and 35 pounds, etc.

Having said that, I would say snakes and cats don't mix at all. I would plan on keeping them away from each other - always.

Finally, there are breeders of beautiful locale boas who can advise better on adult size. Vin Russo (Cutting Edge Herp) and Tommy Carpenter (TC Reptiles), to name two I know well. I bought Feliz, my dwarf BC, from Tommy.

PM me if you want his number.

Also, with my ball pythons, I always housed in a rubbermaid/Tupperware container with a Uth. Can I house a young boa also in a Tupperware? As he grows I would like to upgrade to something more sturdy with a lock and plexiglass so we can see him better, but I rather keep it simple for the 1st few months while he grows. Also, if I use Tupperware, I usually get a small uth and put on one side with a dimmer for protection, any suggestions on raising ambient heat on his cool side? House is room temperature.
    Thanks for reading, I'm sure I will have more questions before I make this purchase. Thanks.
    See questions answered above in BLUE.

Yes, that's fine. However, for a male, expect at least a 4X2' PVC enclosure that holds humidity well and a 5X2' or 6X2' for a female.

As mentioned, it takes Boas a while to get to size when fed properly so you have plenty of time.

They are voracious eaters, and I would get in the habit of hook training all boas. Ask if you are not sure how to do this.

Good luck and feel free to ask anything.

Thanks

I found someone on craigslist selling babies. Has a male says albino columbian. He says it's a bci. Sent w picture and just the shade of brown I'm looking for. $75 sounds too cheap though doesnt it?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
    I found someone on craigslist selling babies. Has a male says albino columbian. He says it's a bci. Sent w picture and just the shade of brown I'm looking for. $75 sounds too cheap though doesnt it?
    I would be careful who you buy from. That sounds cheap for an albino, not super cheap for a het albino.

I would be looking to get from a quality breeder. Save yourself potentially anguish. Also, regardless, do you have other reptiles now? Make sure to quarantine if you do.

All morphs are BI. Locale boas - BC, are sold by location of origin.

Take your time as this animal will live 20-25+ years if cared for properly. Try not to rush and just grab anything.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-26-2020),GoingPostal (02-26-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'd be reluctant to buy from Craigslist.

Since size is important to you I'd buy from a reputable breeder who knows the animals bloodline and can help you find the right animal for you.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-26-2020),GoingPostal (02-26-2020)

Thanks

Be aware of the craigslist deals but it wouldn’t hurt to check it out. Could be the guy is just getting started and you got in at the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    If it's brown it's het albino not albino; albino would be white/yellow/pink. $75 is a fair price.

With the cost of shipping so high plenty of good breeders are selling their lower-end snakes as pets on Craigslist or Facebook locally for cash.

Thanks

So I decided to purchase this male today. I'm very exited. I thaught the guy he was a het albino but might have mentioned jungle also. Of course I have no idea what any of this means. Any idea what he may be?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast