Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,379

4 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New to the Hobby and wanted to introduce myself <3

Hello! I'm Jessica. I didn't see a specific "Introductions" section, but if I missed it and this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move me!

I'm a brand new snake mommy!

My best friend since I was 6 has always had ball pythons and I've ALWAYS loved them. Unfortunately my parents basically told me that they'd murder me if I ever brought one home, and when I grew up and got married my husband felt very much the same. I can confidently state that one of the many benefits of my divorce is that there's no one to tell me "no snakes!" Ironically every time my ex comes by my house now he wants to hold her and is now considering getting a snake of his own. *sigh*

A couple weeks ago I took my 6 year old daughter (also a major reptile lover) to the reptile expo at Cow Palace in the bay area (California). I didn't necessarily walk in there intending to purchase a snake, but I knew it was a distinct possibility. We walked around for a bit marveling at all the AMAZING creatures that were just everywhere, and then my daughter Anna spotted *her*. The breeder saw Anna admiring the lovely little pastel pied with stars in her eyes, and without my even needing to ask, took the pied out of its container, handed it to my daughter, and began to educate her on ball pythons and how to handle and care for them. I was so impressed, Anna was just enraptured. It was love at first sight. I had Anna put her back so I could take some time to think it over and see the other options there. My daughter apparently has an expensive taste in snakes and if I'm being honest I was kind of hoping to talk her into a less pricey option But, it was to no avail. Anna never begged, never whined, never got a bad attitude. She just told me how much she loved that one little snake, and that she'd truly rather not get anything if the little pied wasn't an option. How could I say no to such a sweet and genuine request? I pretended to think it over for another hour as we walked around, but the moment we started heading back towards the table with the pied Anna knew exactly what was up. I have rarely ever seen my little girl so happy and excited! We bought the snake and a kit and a bunch of extras including some live plants, and brought her home.

Meet Sahira! Our gorgeous little lady. She a pastel piebald with what is, in my opinion, one of the loveliest color breaks I've seen on a pied. Check out her cute little smiley face marking! We have had her for about 2.5 weeks now. We attempted to feed f/t for her first meal (one week after getting her) but she ignored it after initially showing quite a bit of interest, so we tried a live mouse hopper and she engaged immediately! For her next feeding we went straight away with a live hopper and again she engaged in less than 10 seconds, which tells me that she may be getting a little too hungry between feedings. I've been told to offer a second hopper on her next feeding day (3/1) to see if she takes it to be certain she's getting enough. If she doesn't eat it I'll just save it until the following week. She's still small enough that I don't think sizing up is appropriate yet, but I'll include a picture of her with a quarter for size perspective so you all can weigh in on that. But all in all she's eating readily and seems to have completely settled in with absolutely zero issues. Note: she is on aspen, not pine or cedar in the pics in case any of you had that concern. Though I do intend to switch her to a mixture of crushed coconut husk and coconut fiber when I next buy bedding. I also intend to switch her to the size equivalent in rats soon, since she'll eventually need rats when she's an adult anyway. She should learn to handle them while she's still young and they are still small. Ideally I'd like to switch her to f/t, but she doesn't seem to want anything to do with it. Maybe you lovely people can offer some insight here?

I have purchased a care log to keep track of her feedings and measurements. I wish I had thought to ask when she was hatched when I bought her, but as it is I don't know exactly how old she is. How frequently do you all measure and weigh your snakes? And do you have a recommendation for a scale to purchase? How much should I expect her to gain in any given time period?

I am just so happy and excited to FINALLY have a wonderful scaley little companion! We just absolutely adore her. I have to admit that I'm already talking with a breeder about buying a super black pastel to add to our family idk why but I find the solid colored snakes just irresistible!

Anyways, that is enough for now. I hope you enjoy the pictures, and I thank you in advance for your feedback and advice! I look forward to getting to know you all better! <3

MamaRhea

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your beautiful BP for a beautiful little girl. Boy your daughter sure had a mature attitude about letting you take time to decide about buying the snake. I love the smiley face too!

As far as scales go, most people get an economical digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams and has a tare function. They are easy to find at Amazon and Walmart for around $25 +/- .
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: New to the Hobby and wanted to introduce myself <3

Looks fabulous !!

Have you considered a few branches or even a network of them .. my guy loves them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-26-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your beautiful BP for a beautiful little girl. Boy your daughter sure had a mature attitude about letting you take time to decide about buying the snake. I love the smiley face too!

As far as scales go, most people get an economical digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams and has a tare function. They are easy to find at Amazon and Walmart for around $25 +/- .
    Thank you! Yes, Anna is an extremely mature and well behaved little girl. She learned pretty early on that pestering me or begging 100% every time results in the answer being no, so she literally never acts that way. She knows that being respectful and honest is the way to go. There has NEVER been a prouder mother

Thank you for the scale recommendation! I was able to find a good one on Amazon for about 20 bucks that has a tare function and does measure in kg/g, lb/oz, and f (whatever f is LOL). Once I get them in and get her first measurements I will start a progression thread in the BP Pictures section to keep track of her growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Looks fabulous !!

Have you considered a few branches or even a network of them .. my guy loves them
    Thank you! Sadly I live in an urban apartment complex where loose branches are not in ready supply, LOL. But if I ever find a dead branch with an interesting or dynamic shape I won't hesitate to add it! Your guy is really handsome! May I ask what he is? I mean obviously he is pied, but he looks too dark to be a normal pied.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MamaRhea View Post
    Thank you! Yes, Anna is an extremely mature and well behaved little girl. She learned pretty early on that pestering me or begging 100% every time results in the answer being no, so she literally never acts that way. She knows that being respectful and honest is the way to go. There has NEVER been a prouder mother

Thank you for the scale recommendation! I was able to find a good one on Amazon for about 20 bucks that has a tare function and does measure in kg/g, lb/oz, and f (whatever f is LOL). Once I get them in and get her first measurements I will start a progression thread in the BP Pictures section to keep track of her growth.

Thank you! Sadly I live in an urban apartment complex where loose branches are not in ready supply, LOL. But if I ever find a dead branch with an interesting or dynamic shape I won't hesitate to add it! Your guy is really handsome! May I ask what he is? I mean obviously he is pied, but he looks too dark to be a normal pied.
    Bought as a simple Hi-White Pied ..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Bought as a simple Hi-White Pied ..

Nice! It may just be the lighting be he looks so dark! He's gorgeous

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaRhea For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    Nice BP & cute daughter too. Glad you're thinking ahead to offer & get your snake on f/t when you can. Some snakes are easier than others (to switch to f/t)
    but for the time being, it's just great that your BP is eating & I'd wait a while before changing anything...you have time.

BTW, you've fought to have a snake for a long time...funny that your 'ex' now shows interest, but that's good for the sake of your daughter, just made me laugh.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-26-2020 at 04:16 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Congratulations on such a beautiful animal. Your daughter has great taste!!! And yeah, I wouldn't have been able to say no either, hahahha. I don't have children of my own, but I can imagine how hard it would be to say 'no' to my niece.

Actually you could size up on prey now. BPs typically only eat hoppers for their first 3-5 meals before moving up in size. You may have trouble getting her to take two hoppers next meal, but it can't hurt to try that route either.

Since you're already planning on switching substrate I'll just comment that I think that's a great choice. I personally can't stand aspen (not a dig to those who like it). It's messy, doesn't retain humidity, and doesn't retain odor. Switching to a Coco coir substrate will improve all of that while also looking more naturalistic.

Just a few suggestions: a) unfortunately those analog thermometers are wildly inaccurate (up to 15°) so upgrading to digital thermometer/hygrometers would be my suggestion. I use Accurite brand (found on Amazon or Walmart) for about $10 each.

You'll probably want to upgrade the half log hide too. Unfortunately they provide very little security for snakes. They much prefer closed off hides with a single opening.

There's certainly nothing wrong with what you have now, but it'll be worth upgrading when you can.

Lastly, just because it's the most important piece of equipment you can have for your snake....are your heat sources regulated by a thermostat? Sorry if you mentioned it and I missed it.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-26-2020),lew-e (02-26-2020),Sonny1318 (02-26-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Nice BP & cute daughter too. Glad you're thinking ahead to offer & get your snake on f/t when you can. Some snakes are easier than others (to switch to f/t)
    but for the time being, it's just great that your BP is eating & I'd wait a while before changing anything...you have time.

BTW, you've fought to have a snake for a long time...funny that your 'ex' now shows interest, but that's good for the sake of your daughter, just made me laugh.
    Thank you! Yes I have been combing through all the posts I can find here about switching to f/t. It may take some doing, but I'm determined to do it. I recognize that it's totally natural for them to hunt, but I have come to the conclusion that f/t is safer for the snake, more humane for the mouse/rat, and also less emotionally wrenching for me. I love mice and rats, so live feeding has been unpleasant. I think I will wait just a little bit before I begin the transition though. I don't want to rock the boat and put her off her food by trying to switch her too quickly after getting her. I also suspect that she may be just a little skinny for her size, and I don't want to risk her potentially losing weight she can't afford to lose right now.

And yes! I find it quite funny too. Like, REALLY!? Nooowww you want a snake? But not when I spent 7 years of marriage begging for one?

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Congratulations on such a beautiful animal. Your daughter has great taste!!! And yeah, I wouldn't have been able to say no either, hahahha. I don't have children of my own, but I can imagine how hard it would be to say 'no' to my niece.
    Actually you could size up on prey now. BPs typically only eat hoppers for their first 3-5 meals before moving up in size. You may have trouble getting her to take two hoppers next meal, but it can't hurt to try that route either.
    Since you're already planning on switching substrate I'll just comment that I think that's a great choice. I personally can't stand aspen (not a dig to those who like it). It's messy, doesn't retain humidity, and doesn't retain odor. Switching to a Coco coir substrate will improve all of that while also looking more naturalistic.
    Just a few suggestions: a) unfortunately those analog thermometers are wildly inaccurate (up to 15°) so upgrading to digital thermometer/hygrometers would be my suggestion. I use Accurite brand (found on Amazon or Walmart) for about $10 each.
    You'll probably want to upgrade the half log hide too. Unfortunately they provide very little security for snakes. They much prefer closed off hides with a single opening.
    There's certainly nothing wrong with what you have now, but it'll be worth upgrading when you can.

Lastly, just because it's the most important piece of equipment you can have for your snake....are your heat sources regulated by a thermostat? Sorry if you mentioned it and I missed it.
    Thank you! We certainly think she is lovely. And yes, given how BADLY I wanted to say yes, there was just no way I could have said no

And oh! You think she's big enough that she could handle something larger? I can certainly try it. What is the correct term for the next size up? Small mouse? Or in your opinion should I swap her to whatever the size equivalent is in rat? I have been a bit concerned about her weight. Her skin seems very loose and baggy in places as you can see from her pics, which is not what I would expect in a snake that should theoretically be getting ready to shed in the next week or two, so I really want to make sure that whatever I am feeding her will be enough for her nutritionally.

And yes about the substrate! The aspen is what came with the kit, but after a recommendation from some friends and doing my own research I concluded that coco would be best.

I am actually one step ahead of you here! I noticed that the little thermometer that came with the kit didn't look like it was doing the job, so I bought this (see link below). It has 3 little sensors, one for the hot side, one for the cold side, and one for the middle and/or the humid hide if needed, and they all report back to a screen that I can keep with me that reports on temperature and humidity. This way I can keep much tighter track of the conditions in there and make adjustments as needed. It should be arriving tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the heat sources, both of the ones I am using currently came with the kit also. One is a small UTH. I made certain there is ventilation under the tank to avoid hot spots (I'll post pictures when I get home, what I did is actually kind of funny!). The other is a heat lamp. The bulb of which I have since learned is far too bright for her, and I have ordered these to replace it (see link). As for being regulated by a thermostat, I am not sure what you mean. If it's not built in to the UTH and heat lamp then the answer is no. Can you tell me more about that, and how to go about implementing it?

I completely agree with regards to the hides. I have several in my amazon shopping cart and am just trying to decide which one will be best. I may just buy two and put one on each end of the tank. Here are my top choices, I would love your input!

https://www.amazon.com/Sempiyi-Repti...ARZ52MHFVEGXTD
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0179QK0UM...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018CJNEI...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Thank you all again for your input and expertise!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MamaRhea View Post
    Thank you! Yes I have been combing through all the posts I can find here about switching to f/t. It may take some doing, but I'm determined to do it. I recognize that it's totally natural for them to hunt, but I have come to the conclusion that f/t is safer for the snake, more humane for the mouse/rat, and also less emotionally wrenching for me. I love mice and rats, so live feeding has been unpleasant. I think I will wait just a little bit before I begin the transition though. I don't want to rock the boat and put her off her food by trying to switch her too quickly after getting her. I also suspect that she may be just a little skinny for her size, and I don't want to risk her potentially losing weight she can't afford to lose right now.

And yes! I find it quite funny too. Like, REALLY!? Nooowww you want a snake? But not when I spent 7 years of marriage begging for one?

Thank you! We certainly think she is lovely. And yes, given how BADLY I wanted to say yes, there was just no way I could have said no

And oh! You think she's big enough that she could handle something larger? I can certainly try it. What is the correct term for the next size up? Small mouse? Or in your opinion should I swap her to whatever the size equivalent is in rat? I have been a bit concerned about her weight. Her skin seems very loose and baggy in places as you can see from her pics, which is not what I would expect in a snake that should theoretically be getting ready to shed in the next week or two, so I really want to make sure that whatever I am feeding her will be enough for her nutritionally.

And yes about the substrate! The aspen is what came with the kit, but after a recommendation from some friends and doing my own research I concluded that coco would be best.

I am actually one step ahead of you here! I noticed that the little thermometer that came with the kit didn't look like it was doing the job, so I bought this (see link below). It has 3 little sensors, one for the hot side, one for the cold side, and one for the middle and/or the humid hide if needed, and they all report back to a screen that I can keep with me that reports on temperature and humidity. This way I can keep much tighter track of the conditions in there and make adjustments as needed. It should be arriving tomorrow.

As for the heat sources, both of the ones I am using currently came with the kit also. One is a small UTH. I made certain there is ventilation under the tank to avoid hot spots (I'll post pictures when I get home, what I did is actually kind of funny!). The other is a heat lamp. The bulb of which I have since learned is far too bright for her, and I have ordered these to replace it (see link). As for being regulated by a thermostat, I am not sure what you mean. If it's not built in to the UTH and heat lamp then the answer is no. Can you tell me more about that, and how to go about implementing it?

I completely agree with regards to the hides. I have several in my amazon shopping cart and am just trying to decide which one will be best. I may just buy two and put one on each end of the tank. Here are my top choices, I would love your input!

https://www.amazon.com/Sempiyi-Repti...ARZ52MHFVEGXTD
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0179QK0UM...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018CJNEI...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Thank you all again for your input and expertise!!!
    Awesome! You're definitely off to a great start. And once everything is dialed in and running optimally it's easy breezy. Just daily checks on equipment and temps and you're good to go.

The only thing is you will want to get your heating equipment regulated by a thermostat asap. For the time being, you'll want to unplug the UTH heat mat.

A thermostat regulates the temperature, just like the one in a home or car. It also limits the temps the equipment can reach, eliminating any chance of burns caused by heat spikes. Heat spikes can even be fatal.

So essentially, you'll hook your UTH and lamp up to thermostats (or a single thermostat depending which brand and model you choose). This will keep your temps at a safe, stable temp, keeping your snake safe.

There are lots of options. Some people will say HerpStat or Spyder Robotics are the only way to go, they can be pricey.
    I've been using JumpStart brand for years with no issues at all. You can get those for around $30.

I've included a feeding chart that is great for juvenile BPs as they grow into adulthood.
    Switching to rats while they're young is definitely a good idea. Most tend to switch easier when young.

Sent from my 6062W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast