Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,917

2 members and 2,915 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Time to move on. Semi graphic.

The good things about keeping retics, I miss every day. The hard/stressful/frustrating things about keeping them? You couldn’t pay me enough to live through that again.

I second what has been said here. Retics are amazing in their own right, but I’m finding myself happier everyday with boas and carpet pythons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-26-2021),CALM Pythons (03-11-2020),dakski (03-09-2020),Gio (03-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I dig hearing that.
    I’m really fan of carpets and their personalities.
    Yafe, my only CP, rocks. He's beautiful, eats like clockwork, is a display animal, and is getting pretty good with being handled. Not that he was bad, but he's calming down even more.

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Nothing beats a carpet but boas are a very close second. I almost got a retic too but now I'm kinda glad I didn't.
    Having said what I said above, I love my boas. Not quite as "movey" and seemingly inquisitive, but I love the gentle nature of boas. They are somewhere between a Carpet and a Ball to me. Pretty compliant, but not pet rocks either.

I will reserve judgment completely until Yafe is full grown, as are the boas for that matter. Maybe a 7ft Behira will be too much? I don't think so, but in all fairness, I should mention that.

I will add that Yafe is an aggressive feeder, but has yet to strike at the doors, etc. like 2/3 boas do (hence the drapes). So, that's a bonus .

I think it comes down to what type of personality you like in a bigger snake.

Either way, you cannot go wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

I know they aren't very flashy and they don't have any cool morphs but for those of y'all that like big, mellow snakes please consider Olive Pythons. They're one of the most underrated snakes in the hobby.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-10-2020),Bogertophis (03-09-2020),dakski (03-09-2020),Gio (03-09-2020),Team Slytherin (03-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I know they aren't very flashy and they don't have any cool morphs but for those of y'all that like big, mellow snakes please consider Olive Pythons. They're one of the most underrated snakes in the hobby.
    That's a good point Zig, and have wondered about keeping an olive.

I seem to get everything I need from boas and carpets. I'm a big semi arboreal fan, and honestly, the retic was the king of the perches here. But I love wondering where I'll see the boa or carpet hanging out. They add a bit of mystery because they are not face to the glass every moment of the day.

Perched or grounded, Wallace was always at the glass with bad intentions.

If my Pokigron, Suri option doesn't work out, I'll be down with a Brisbane Coastal.

That will do it for me here. I'm still saddened by the fact Wallace had such a drastic personality change as I loved almost everything about him.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-05-2020),CloudtheBoa (03-10-2020),dakski (03-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

... I'm still saddened by the fact Wallace had such a drastic personality change as I loved almost everything about him.
    "When bad things happen to good people" -any of us would have been heart-broken too. You didn't want to give up, but the future was grim- you did the right thing.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-09-2020),Gio (03-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    "When bad things happen to good people" -any of us would have been heart-broken too. You didn't want to give up, but the future was grim- you did the right thing.
    The left index finger, which I thought was not involved is still healing up. The tip has some numbness still and the skin is shredded. I'll have permanent scars on the right hand with some shredded skin still. I probably should have had a few stitches but scars are fine with me.

I certainly didn't need any further damage though.

The fact that the breeder I placed Wallace with still says he's a jerk tells me he's always going to be displaying dominant and challenging behaviors.

I could never have kept him without a family member being part of the hobby. I'm a one man show here and encourage folks who are going to take on the species to look far beyond the first couple of years.

Wallace was great until late summer 2019 (3+ years old).

Retics,,,,, there is nothing quite like them!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-10-2020),jmcrook (03-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I just read through this whole thread out of curiosity and kept thinking back to my two African Grey parrots, what they did to me and each other, and how I felt before (guilty) and after (relieved) I rehomed them to a rescue center for parrots. I had them for 5 years. Individually they were temperamental but I could handle them, and even really enjoyed them at times. It was rewarding to teach them tricks and establish trust. However they were moody and nasty at times. One would randomly bite me and then say OW! and laugh! Totally knew what he was doing. Also one of them went through puberty and changed. Add a divorce into the mix and I decided enough was enough. I couldn't believe how my stress level fell when they were both gone. I didn't realize how much chronic stress they had caused in our home.

Each was rehomed by the rescue center to a separate house and has become the darling of their new family. In fact, the rescue center said I did a great job taming them (for their breed), they knew a lot of tricks, were not pluckers, and clearly had been loved and cared for-- and they would LOVE to have me foster more of them anytime, once things had settled down after the divorce. Ummm, no thanks!

This thread is a reminder that when we take on a wild, non-domesticated animal, be it snake or bird, they are and always will be wild animals. Some adapt better to living with humans than others. Some are great as small pets and then become nasty as they mature. This is beyond our control.

I, too, have scars on my hands to remind me of my time with my non-domesticated critters.

OP you did a good thing by rehoming. You tried your best and beyond. Wallace had a great start in life and is healthy and big because of you. It sounds like he would have survived great in the wild and been a reall badda$$. I'm sure he'll be very happy being a breeder and otherwise being left alone.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 03-10-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-10-2020),Bogertophis (03-10-2020),CloudtheBoa (03-10-2020),Gio (03-10-2020),John1982 (03-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    For a little perspective check out the most recent episode of Morelia python radio and count how many times Garrett Hartle mentions how bad retics are, then realize that is coming from one of the top breeders.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-10-2020),Gio (03-10-2020),jmcrook (11-24-2020),John1982 (03-12-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I am so sorry to hear the issues never really resolved themselves, but I'm glad you were able to find a good home for him! Your safety and enjoyment should be at the forefront: you are responsible for the animals under your care, so that requires you to be both fit and capable. If either of those are not possible, the best decision is definitely to let them go.

The reputation for attitude has always put me off getting a male. The stories here on the forum of everyone rehoming their retics really makes it seem like I made a good decision getting my girl instead. And I don't think I want to chance fate getting a second one.

You may remember me posting about the bite my girl gave me a few winters ago (at least I believe I posted about it). That sure was an eye-opener, and if that was her typical response, I probably would have rehomed her soon after, too. She left me a knot on my knuckle to remind me of what could have happened for a good 6-8 months. haha I love my snakes, but like you, I don't want a full time dance against an angry giant.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-10-2020),Gio (03-11-2020),jmcrook (03-10-2020)

Thanks

If you have been on this board for any length of time, you can watch 3 of us here all come into this species around the same time. I won't name names unless the others want to jump in, but we are all out of the species.
    Hello Gio sorry to revive this old thread and sorry to see things didn't work out with the SD. I haven't been active in some time but you may recall I purchased the clutchmate to your Wallace just weeks after you. I didn't have my SD retic long, as I started getting more and more worried that despite its expected smaller size, he would end up being a handful. My retic showed aggression from the time I got him so I too ended up rehoming him. I would often check back here to follow your progression thread. Its unfortunate it didn't work out as we all expected, but I completely understand why and am glad I re-homed when I did. That looks like a terrible bite.
    0.1. Boa constrictor ​imperator

0.0.1. Aphonopelma chalcodes
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchra

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RamMac For This Useful Post:

67temp (02-26-2021),Bogertophis (08-05-2020),dakski (08-06-2020),Gio (02-26-2021),jmcrook (08-05-2020)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast