Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,130

3 members and 3,127 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My first attempts at breeding are going well, I think!

Two of the eggs looks to have gone bad. The top one I’m holding started smelling rotten and there’s no visible veins inside (though it’s reddish colored) and the bottom one looks yellow inside like there were no veins to begin with.

The other eggs are doing great, and have strong visible veins. I somehow put a hole in one while drying off a bit of water a week or so ago and put a bandaid on it, and it’s still doing good. I’ll be happy with 6 babies from this clutch!

I also removed the press n seal I was using since I’ve heard it was unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a very enthusiastic young hobbyist that is excited to see what the future brings!

Thanks

A third one went bad, but looking at the embryo inside it doesn’t seem to be horribly deformed or anything. So I don’t think it died due to anything I did.

I think the reason the survival rate has been a little lower is because the male is younger... his sperm probably wasn’t as strong. He started breeding at around 500 grams, but is nearly 800 grams now.

Hopefully posting these pictures of the contents is okay. They’re kinda grody!

The remaining eggs still look healthy with solid veins, so with them being at day 40 I am confident they will all make it to term.

The other clutch I have in there from a proven breeder super mystic male x butter female are nearly 4 weeks in and are healthy as can be. Which is why I suspect my little banana yellowbelly male just wasn’t packing enough quite yet

I'm a very enthusiastic young hobbyist that is excited to see what the future brings!

Thanks

An update!

I cut the eggs on day 53, and unfortunately it looks like 2 more weren’t viable and died shortly after. One had severe kinking in the neck and tail.

The other only seemed to have a kink in the tail:

The remaining 3 are still alive and came out of the eggs on their own, and are now set up in a tub until they shed:

All 3 have slight kinking and deformities right before the vent, so I don’t think it would be wise to breed them.
    I believe one is a pastel yellowbelly, and the other two bananas (I’m not sure if either have yellowbelly as well, but I’ll be taking a closer look once they have their first sheds)

The pastel yellowbelly will be going to my sister as a pet only, and I will likely sell the others as pet only as well.

I believe this clutch had so many problems due to me messing with them too much. I’m going to take this as a learning experience and be a little more mindful on how often I check the eggs.

I still have another clutch in the incubator that is still healthy. They’re on day 46 and only have just started having some eggs dimpling (though I believe it’s due to being close to hatch day and not because of any issues, I’ve candled the eggs and they all still have good veins)
    I also have two more clutches on the way, so not all is lost. I have plenty of chances to get it right!

Thanks

nice looking

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Best you can do is leave those eggs alone, kinking issues are caused by fluctuating temperatures during incubation. I would not cut your other clutches until you see the first one peep. Cut day depends on the temperature you set your incubator to. I believe you had a viable clutch that had to overcome human error. I'm sorry but it should not be down to i'll have plenty of practice to get it right, these are living beings. Good luck in the future.

Thanks

Thanks for twisting my words into something it wasn’t.

I do care a lot about these animals and I feel horrible that they came out the way they did. Especially since I’ve realized I did the one thing I had kept telling myself not to. Don’t mess with the eggs. I learned the hard way and will now be more careful with the remaining clutches I have coming.

Rather than throw a pity party and play the “woe is me” game, I’m trying to be more upbeat with myself and keep my eyes forward.
    I did not say I have “more chances” as if I was being careless. I want to get things right and make sure I’m doing what’s best for the eggs.

I already planned to wait until at least the first egg pips with the other clutch, and was going to do the same with the others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trnreptiles View Post
    Thanks for twisting my words into something it wasn’t.

I do care a lot about these animals and I feel horrible that they came out the way they did. Especially since I’ve realized I did the one thing I had kept telling myself not to. Don’t mess with the eggs. I learned the hard way and will now be more careful with the remaining clutches I have coming.

Rather than throw a pity party and play the “woe is me” game, I’m trying to be more upbeat with myself and keep my eyes forward.
    I did not say I have “more chances” as if I was being careless. I want to get things right and make sure I’m doing what’s best for the eggs.

I already planned to wait until at least the first egg pips with the other clutch, and was going to do the same with the others.

A medic once once told me. Unfortunately, To get good a few people might have to die. Mistakes are part of life and ok. As long as you learn from them. I hope to start breeding in a couple of years.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Igotsmallballs For This Useful Post:

trnreptiles (07-13-2020)

Thanks

I appreciate the kind words. It’s not like I’m disregarding these snakes as living creatures at all, it came down to me making a rookie mistake that I know plenty of others have as well.
    I’m just not gonna let it deter me from moving forward, which from what I’ve heard unfortunately happens with a lot of newbies. Something goes wrong and then they give up and sell off their collection.
    I’m not gonna be one of those people. That’s all.

Thanks

My first attempts at breeding are going well, I think!

Last update on this...
    the only baby that ended up surviving was this little banana male. We named him Kichi. He’s shed twice now. I’ve had to assist feed him two times, the first time was nearly a force feed (I had to shove the rat pink all the way down, just far enough for his mouth to close) and the second time he actually ate it on his own without me having to push it in too far. He was able to pass the first one without issue so I think his digestive track is functioning as intended.
    I will note that I attempted several feedings between the two assist feedings, waiting a few days between each offering. I did leave a live rat pup in overnight a few times, and even a mouse hopper once or twice. He did not show any interest in either, and at times would be looking to escape his tub like he was scared of it.
    I’m hoping he will start strike feeding on his own soon, I hate assist feeding. He’s a really sweet snake though and seems to be doing great even with the tiny kink in his spine right before the vent.

Natural sunlight through the window

His little poop

Last edited by trnreptiles; 08-28-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Absolutely stunning !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

trnreptiles (08-28-2020)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast