Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,609

0 members and 2,609 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Options for PVC cages

My two male BPs, Ignis and Ravus, will both be turning 2 years old by August/September of this year. Ravus, the more voracious eater out of the two, is currently weighing in at around 720g and growing steadily. Is it too early to start looking into PVC cages to be their "permanent housing" as adults? I've heard that the production time for some of the popular caging options can be quite lengthy, so I thought it might be best to plan ahead.

These are the brands of PVC cages that I've heard of so far (though additional suggestions are welcomed):
    - Animal Plastics
    - Vision Cages
    - Reptile Basics
    - Boaphile

I would love to get an idea of the pros and cons of each brand, from those of you who own any of them. Some of my specific questions would be:

- What size dimensions (within each brand) would be most suitable for a fully grown adult male ball python?

- Do the cages require assembly? If yes, how easy are they to assemble?

- How easy are they to clean? (e.g. flat vs. recessed surfaces, etc.)

- Doors! Sliding vs. hinged? Glass vs. acrylic?

- What types of heating elements are most compatible with the cages? I'm currently accustomed to UTHs, but am willing to change to heat tape or RHPs if they function more optimally with a particular cage design.

- How do they measure up in durability vs. lightweight portability?

- Subjective opinions! ... Which cage looks nicest?
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Options for PVC cages

- Animal Plastics
    - Vision Cages
    - Reptile Basics
    - Boaphile
    AP or Reptile Basics, both have great products and great customer service after that it will depends on how fast you need your cage, AP lead time is often 12 to 16 weeks.

Vision makes great tubs however the rest of their product not so much.

Other company you will want to consider is Chris Chappell at Herptastic https://www.herptasticreptiles.com/shop

- What size dimensions (within each brand) would be most suitable for a fully grown adult male ball python?
    a 36 X 18 or 36 X 24 footprint will be enough for a male.

- Do the cages require assembly? If yes, how easy are they to assemble?
    AP ships flat, it saves you on shipping since Fedex shipping is dimensional, not sure about others but chances are they do to, simply contact each manufacturers.

- How easy are they to clean? (e.g. flat vs. recessed surfaces, etc.)
    Easy to clean

- Doors! Sliding vs. hinged? Glass vs. acrylic?
    Matter of preference when it comes to sliding or hinges, and acrylic would be my recommendation.

- What types of heating elements are most compatible with the cages? I'm currently accustomed to UTHs, but am willing to change to heat tape or RHPs if they function more optimally with a particular cage design.
    RHP works best with cages.

- How do they measure up in durability vs. lightweight portability?
    Expanded PVC is very durable and sturdy and much lighter than anything you could build with melamine for example, keeps heat very well and it is also fire resistant.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (04-14-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-20-2020),Luvyna (04-14-2020),RedRabbit (02-21-2020),viper69 (03-29-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Stewart_Reptiles hit pretty much everything on the head.

I'll just add my personal experience...

I have 2 Boaphile enclosures that I really like. They're super light, super easy to clean and look nice.

They do use a thinner PVC than AP and some others, but they're well built in my opinion.
    They hold heat and humidity really well, but my understanding is APs thicker PVC retains it even better.

I've been a glass guy for many years, but since acquiring a few PVC enclosures I'll never buy glass again.
    And I definitely think a RHP is the way to go. They run more efficiently and create a nice temp gradient using just one heat source.

As for height, many people go with the 12" height for BPs since they're primarily a terrestrial species. But I have heard many people say the 18" height is much easier to clean in the back corners, etc...

As for doors, I'd say acrylic as well.
    Sliding or drop down is really personal preference. With my BPs either is fine, I honestly don't have a preference.
    With my Borneo STP I definitely prefer the sliding door due to his strong feeding response.
    I plan to use sliding when my Bredli and Carpet are large enough for their "forever enclosures" for the same reason. It's just a little easier to contain a hungry snake with a strong feeding response with sliding.

I think I answered all your questions, but if I missed anything please don't be afraid to ask.

From what I know of AP, they're the cream of the crop though. I'll be adding a few over the next few years. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Boaphile either.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (04-14-2020),Luvyna (04-14-2020),RedRabbit (02-21-2020),viper69 (03-29-2020)

Thanks
    Stewart Reptiles checked all the boxes with that post but I would go with glass sliding doors for the long haul. I have acrylic doors on a PVC cage from Jon’s Custom Creations and they scratch VERY easily no matter how careful you are with cleaning. Mine has cheap plastic door hinges and definitely won’t last for the life of your snakes.

I have a pair of T-10’s on order from Animal Plastics since August and every time I talk to Ali, the date gets pushed further back.

Check out Dragon Enclosures on Facebook. I wish I had gone with them instead of AP. They are very nice folks and very responsive to emails and messages.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (04-14-2020),Luvyna (04-14-2020),RedRabbit (02-21-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Options for PVC cages

Stay away from Boaphile. They are only 1/4” PVC. My back came off like a old TV stand. They dont hold heat for nothing compaired to my AP’s.
    Visions have odd shapes. The ceilings are hard to mount a RHP if you want and I just do not like the design at all. Mine warped after 6 months of heat. The floor bowed upwards in the center.
    Animal Plastics is my winner. I will never, ever, ever order another Brand.
    I have 2 T12’s and a T70.
    They are 1/2” and the glass sliders are great.
    I suggest a T8 or T10 for ball pythons. Mine have been in there PVC enclosures since after the 3 month quarantine. They love them and are very active when given the opportunity. I have PVC in my enclosures and my Balls climb every night. People that say they are pet Rocks never gave them a chance or bought unhealthy badly bred snakes.
    Id recommend a Pro panel 120 watt RHP ($130) and a Herpstat to run it. The T8 is on sale for $165 plus $50 shipping.
    I buy to buy once and the safest for all my animals even if I have to wait for funds. Ive been running Herpstats and Pro panels without a hic-cup for a decade.
    Best out there.

Products I Use :

Enclosures- Animal Plastics: Good things come to those who wait. A 3-4 month wait on these enclosures, but the quality is worth it. Ive tried them all from Boaphile to Vision and there is no comparison:
    https://apcages.com/collections/terrestrial-cages
    https://www.facebook.com/apcages/

RHP - Pro Products: is a top of the line Radiant Heat Panel:
    http://pro-products.com/pro-heat/

Thermostats - Herpstat is one of the best if not #1 for quality and safety:
    https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...products_id=26

Thermometer- Sensor Push. This was a great investment. I do not have the WIFI Gateway station ($99) to monitor while Im away from home, I use them on Bluetooth for phone/Ipad etc..at home monitoring. I have these in all of my enclosures for cool side ambient and humidity monitoring:
    http://www.sensorpush.com/products/h...SABEgKJAfD_BwE
    https://www.facebook.com/SensorPush/

Butcher Paper. Zoro has several sizes and great prices. If you want 60lb paper it is Brown. I use 2 sheets of 40lb because I like the white. Easy to see a mess. Best prices are available through Zoro’s ebay , you can also shop on their online store:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273444919986

Hides- Reptile Basics has the best injection mold quality. They are not sharp or brittle, don’t be fooled by “look alike” PVC Hides:
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes
    https://www.facebook.com/Reptile-Bas...6716234800488/

Feeders- Rodent Pro:
    https://www.rodentpro.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgJPHPD_BwE
    https://www.facebook.com/rodentpro/

Snake Equiptment- Animal Equipment By StoneyLLC. Best quality I have used:
    https://www.aestoney.com/shop/
    https://www.facebook.com/AnimalEquipmentByStoneyLlc/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 02-20-2020 at 10:47 PM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Pretty much what everyone else said, though I'd suggest that you check out Kages as well. Their enclosures are a bit pricier than AP's, but this includes shipping and a fast turn around time. I ordered one of the base model 4'x2'x2's off their website in November and FedEx delievered the enclosure one week later -- they are that fast!

Standard enclosures are 1/2" PVC with sliding polycarbonate doors and (should you want one) a 10"x10" belly heat recess. Enclosures are shipped flat like most others and assembly is required, but it's very easy and straightforward -- step-by-step instructions are included, pieces are clearly labeled, and holes are pre-drilled. The enclosures are pretty high quality in my opinion, and only the few AP enclosures I've seen have them beat on this front. The only real downside to these enclosures is that you need a stacking kit to stack and they don't recommend stacking enclosures over 4'x2'x2'.

Whoever you go with, I recommend getting a 4'x2'x2' for a male royal. They'll use all that space as long as they feel secure. Happy cage hunting!
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've had my first AP for 8 months and it's every thing it's cracked up to be. I also went with pro products heat panel, it's first rate also. You may want to consider making your own hide. I got 6 bricks and a 1x2 ft ceramic tile, 2 bricks for the long sides 1 for short sides, cover with the tile. Fill in spaces with substrate and place it half under heat panel. Dark, quiet and long enough your snake to thermo regulate and never leave home. What size? Bigger is better, just fill it up as required.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zspook For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (02-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you Deborah, and to everyone's follow-up responses too! A lot of positive endorsements for Animal Plastics, and it sounds like deservedly so. The long wait time is unfortunate, but both my BPs still have plenty of time and room to grow in their current tubs, so thankfully I am in no rush. (Sorry to hear that you've been waiting since August though, SVT Wylde. That's an ouch!)

I think I am leaning toward the T10 more than the T8, both to make it easier for me to reach in and clean, and because my BPs seem to enjoy roaming and climbing at night, so they wouldn't mind that extra height space.

The sliding glass doors sound pretty appealing. One of my BPs has a robust feeding response that sometimes rivals my boas, but his enthusiasm is NOT matched by his strike accuracy, so a sliding partition is probably a good idea, ha. I'm looking for an improvement in visibility compared to the hazy transparency of their current Sterilite tubs too, so I'd want to avoid acrylic if it tends to accumulate scratches over time with repeated cleanings.

CALM Pythons, I love the thorough breakdown and the helpful pictures. Your preferences seem to coincide well with mine, as I already use Herpstat thermostats and Reptile Basics hides, haha. Great tip about the butcher paper; I currently use paper towel for substrate, and was wondering what would function similarly well for a larger cage floor.

Would it be excessive to have both the Pro Products RHP and a belly heat source (either the default Flexwatt heat tape, or an Ultratherm UTH) installed? I live in southern California, so during our long and hot summers, my indoor temps are already sitting around 78-80F while the A/C fights to keep it there, and I don't know if an RHP might overshoot that. I was wondering if it would be reasonable to have just the UTH on during the hot months, and then turn on the RHP for the colder months.
    Ball Pythons:

Boa Imperator:

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post

CALM Pythons, I love the thorough breakdown and the helpful pictures. Your preferences seem to coincide well with mine, as I already use Herpstat thermostats and Reptile Basics hides, haha. Great tip about the butcher paper; I currently use paper towel for substrate, and was wondering what would function similarly well for a larger cage floor.

Would it be excessive to have both the Pro Products RHP and a belly heat source (either the default Flexwatt heat tape, or an Ultratherm UTH) installed? I live in southern California, so during our long and hot summers, my indoor temps are already sitting around 78-80F while the A/C fights to keep it there, and I don't know if an RHP might overshoot that. I was wondering if it would be reasonable to have just the UTH on during the hot months, and then turn on the RHP for the colder months.
    The UTH would work great for summer as you mentioned. I have to use a RHP all year round because I keep my home at 68 with AC during summer and Heat to 68 during winter. I cant stand being warm when trying to sleep.
    So in my case the RHP gives me my ambient in a 68 degree house and a Basking area which you will already have your ambient during summer so the UTH will give you your Basking. The only thing is that you will have to keep changing probe placement or get a Herpstat2 and keep both hooked up all year only running the source you wish at the time.
    Heat tape is cheap enough but Id just keep both hooked up and run a Herpstat2 because Ive had problems with taping and un-taping heat tape in the past. Its pretty thin and a short is the last thing you want. Best of luck and have fun

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (02-21-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    The UTH would work great for summer as you mentioned. I have to use a RHP all year round because I keep my home at 68 with AC during summer and Heat to 68 during winter. I cant stand being warm when trying to sleep.
    So in my case the RHP gives me my ambient in a 68 degree house and a Basking area which you will already have your ambient during summer so the UTH will give you your Basking. The only thing is that you will have to keep changing probe placement or get a Herpstat2 and keep both hooked up all year only running the source you wish at the time.
    Heat tape is cheap enough but Id just keep both hooked up and run a Herpstat2 because Ive had problems with taping and un-taping heat tape in the past. Its pretty thin and a short is the last thing you want. Best of luck and have fun

Haha, I'm the opposite - I get cold very easily, so I like to keep my home in the high 70s regardless of season, which is probably unnecessarily warm for most people. My snakes like it just fine, though.

Also, luckily, all the reptile thermostats I own are Herpstat 2 Redlines (and I was already planning to grab a couple more while they're on sale this month, anyway), so that will make for an easy setup transition.
    Ball Pythons:

Boa Imperator:

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-21-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast