Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,509

3 members and 1,506 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

New to pythons and some concerns.

Hello all.

I am a new python owner. Have a beautiful little girl I saved named Cleopatra (Cleo). I've had this snake for 4 weeks now I think after I saved her from a Petsmart that was starving her since she was not eating the f/t mice. I took her in because I felt so bad for her. However I'm not experienced in this field. And so I have tons of questions.

1. Is my set up alright for her? I've got the one side at about 92 and the other 71. I know 92 is high but it's hard to control when I'm not home during the day. Is there any concerns? I'm still learning humidity though so any tips would be help. I also have a light and pad combo rn where I ha e the light on during the day and the pad on by the night. Is this alright to be doing?

2. I've gotten her to eat finally (yay!!) But it's now been about 2 weeks so should I be concerned? She mostly chills in either den set up so I assume she's not hungry but Idk she is still young. I do not know how old she is all I know is she's probably less than 6 months. She also tends to sun herself when I have the light on sometimes. Is this normal?

3. I noticed this odd spot on her head as well as these weird scales near her cloaca. Is this any cause for alarm? I am still looking for a vet but I want to know if this is cause for alarm.

I'm mostly worried about question 3 since I'm still new to this and concerned for her health. I'll be attaching many photos so that you all can see everything. Feedback is much needed and appreciated! Thank you!!
    [IMG]20200219_190008.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]20200219_184502.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]20200219_184424.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks

Re: New to pythons and some concerns.

First of all your temps are off. Cool side needs to be around 80. 71 is too cold. And hot side shouldn't be more than 90. Your heat sources need to be connected to thermostats to regulate the temps as they can get too hot and burn your snake.

As to the 3rd question your pics didn't show up. Try downloading the Tapatalk app.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakemom85 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-19-2020)

Thanks
    Shoot I didn't even see that. I'll have to fix that in the morning or afternoon tomorrow it's very late on my end right now. In the mean time, what do you suggest for temperatures besides having a thermostat? And where could I potentially get one? Like I said, completely new to pythons I want to give the best for her.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

For thermostats, Spyderrobotics makes great ones and ones that can handle multiple devices.

https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...=index&cPath=1

https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...products_id=76

You can put in reptile thermostat on Amazon, etc. and find some, but many cheaper ones can be prone to failure. They can fail open and essentially cook your snake, so be careful what you buy.

No idea how to help otherwise, except to say that temps should be 86-89F hot side and 78-80F cool side. Humidity should be 45-55% normally, with a boost in shed. She wants to feel secure as well, so matching "snug" hides on the hot side and cool side.

If these requirements are met, she should eat okay.

Please provide tank size, type of tank, her size/weight, food items being offered, how often you are handling, etc.

This information will allow us to help you get her setup properly and the road to a long and healthy life.

Judging from cool side temps, you might need another heat source.

Finally, how are you checking temps? It should be ground temps checked with an IR temp gun.

https://smile.amazon.com/Etekcity-La...s%2C143&sr=8-4

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vaughan-...0022/308771313

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-20-2020)

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Ger...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If you're on a budget this is a commonly reccomended thermostat here, I have one myself.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake