Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,872

1 members and 2,871 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vegan dog food?

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Vegan dog food?

Dogs are natural carnivores like stated above and only eat plant matter in times of famine. My dog Atlas will literally eat anything including foods that are posinous given the oppertunity, that being said i obviously don't let her. You cab probably achieve a vegan diet for your dog with a little effort but obviously that's not the way nature intended so who knows the long term health effects. Dogs need iron and protein just like we do and the best source for those vitamins are meat. The long term effects of most supplements have not been studied too long so who knows if there's underlined issues that could arise from taking those vitamins away naturally and replacing artificially. If you want the best health for your animal i would not cut out meat entirely maybe just feed it less. We all have the power to decide what we eat and that's a wonderful liberty i don't think we as pet owners should rob that liberty from our pets to fit our own life style choices. I know you stated your against it so please don't think im knocking anyone's personal choices cause i believe humans that eat vegan are typically very healthy i just don't see it working in the animals best interest. Whatevef you decide best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Me too, we could join a forum for that and enjoy tossing out sophomoric banter together. Derail a thread or two while we are at it. Disrespect one another.
    What on gawd’s earth are you smokin’ - there’s really no need or justification for the attitude you are displaying in your posts .

This is quite probably the best forum on the Internet for getting help and advice but it’s also the most friendly and chilled place ..

Maybe bear that in mind ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-20-2020),jmcrook (02-20-2020),ladywhipple02 (02-21-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (02-21-2020),Sonny1318 (02-22-2020),Tila (02-20-2020)

Thanks
    I have been vegan for close to a decade (see my screen name). My wife is also vegan. We also have 2 dogs and a cat. At one point many years ago we wrestled with this same question and looked into the science and evaluated the nutrition and species requirements for products such as V Dog. We eventually concluded that...

A) Veganism is a personal decision that you should not push on others (including dogs or your own children). Why? Because ethical decisions are personal and shouldn’t be made on behalf of others. For instance, when we have children, we will not force them to be vegan, they need to make that decision on their own. However, if they are living in our house, eating our groceries, they will need to accept that we will not be purchasing or cooking them non-vegan food.

B) We believe that when you take on the responsibility of caring for an animal, you owe it to the animal to care and provide for it to the best of your ability. That means not intentionally feeding a diet that is less natural (or so complicated that it could inadvertently present new problems, deficiencies, or health issues) because you want to push your personal views upon other beings. Just because it CAN be done, doesn’t mean you should. The higher risk for causing a new nutritional deficiency or imbalance is not worth the risk based on the research we had done.

I also noticed that you are trying to micro-manage this conversation and ban opinions, demanding only scientific evidence. Just a little advice on that...
    1) Trying to control people on the internet like that is a pipe dream so don’t even waste your effort.
    2) Saying you don’t want other’s opinions sounds arrogant because it implies that you think you have nothing to learn from others except for the specific facts you are researching. If that’s the type of hard data you want, you’d be better off doing a literature review, not posting on a public Internet forum which isn’t even related to vegan nutrition or dog rearing.

Bottom line is I gave you opinions, which you stated you don’t want. Do I care that you don’t want my opinion? Not not really, I’ll post what I want. Should you maybe care about my opinion since I have been vegan much longer than you, have had dogs all my life, and as I mentioned, wrestled with the same question many years ago? If you were wise you’d consider other people’s viewpoints, and if you disagree in the end, that’s fine. But to hold your hands over your ears and say “I don’t want to hear opinions” isn’t going to serve you well in life.
    Last edited by Vegan.Hiker; 02-20-2020 at 05:19 PM.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Vegan.Hiker For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

ballpythonluvr (02-22-2020),Bogertophis (02-20-2020),CloudtheBoa (02-20-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-20-2020),GoingPostal (02-20-2020),jmcrook (02-20-2020),ladywhipple02 (02-21-2020),MissterDog (02-20-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (02-21-2020),Spicey (02-20-2020),Tila (02-20-2020),wnateg (02-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan.Hiker View Post
    I have been vegan for close to a decade (see my screen name). My wife is also vegan. We also have 2 dogs and a cat. At one point many years ago we wrestled with this same question and looked into the science and evaluated the nutrition and species requirements for products such as V Dog. We eventually concluded that...

A) Veganism is a personal decision that you should not push on others (including dogs or your own children). Why? Because ethical decisions are personal beliefs and shouldn’t be made on behalf of others. For instance, when we have children, we will not force them to be vegan, they need to make that decision on their own. However, if they are living in our house, eating our groceries, they will need to accept that we will not be purchasing or cooking them non-vegan food.

B) We believe that when you take on the responsibility of caring for an animal, you owe it to the animal to care and provide for it to the best of your ability. That means not intentionally feeding a diet that is less natural (or so complicated that it could inadvertently present new problems, deficiencies, or health issues) because you want to push your personal views upon other beings. Just because it CAN be done, doesn’t mean you should. The higher risk for causing a new nutritional deficiency or imbalance is not worth the risk based on the research we had done.

I also noticed that you are trying to micro-manage this conversation and ban opinions, demanding only scientific evidence. Just a little advice on that...
    1) Trying to control people on the internet like that is a pipe dream so don’t even waste your effort.
    2) Saying you don’t want other’s opinions sounds arrogant because it implies that you think you have nothing to learn from others except for the specific facts you are researching. If that’s the type of hard data you want, you’d be better off doing a literature review, not posting on a public Internet forum which isn’t even related to vegan nutrition or dog rearing.

Bottom line is I gave you opinions, which you stated you don’t want. Do I care that you don’t want my opinion? Not not really, I’ll post what I want. Should you maybe care about my opinion since I have been vegan much longer than you, have had dogs all my life, and as I mentioned, wrestled with the same question many years ago? If you were wise you’d consider other people’s viewpoints, and if you disagree in the end, that’s fine. But to hold your hands over your ears and say “I don’t want to hear opinions” isn’t going to serve you well in life.

*drops mic and walks out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-20-2020),MissterDog (02-20-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (02-21-2020),Vegan.Hiker (02-20-2020),wnateg (02-20-2020)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

A) Veganism is a personal decision that you should not push on others (including dogs or your own children). Why? Because ethical decisions are personal and shouldn’t be made on behalf of others. For instance, when we have children, we will not force them to be vegan, they need to make that decision on their own. However, if they are living in our house, eating our groceries, they will need to accept that we will not be purchasing or cooking them non-vegan food.

First of all not trying to control the conversation in regards to hearing one side and being sold one way or the other. Just looking for people like yourself who struggled with this and have an answer that could benefit my question. I only asked for people that have gone through this.
    I am not now or ever in favor of feeding my animals vegan. I am not the owner of these dogs. However as you know there are probably 50 vegan dog foods on the market. I’m not looking for the moral or ethical or environmental reasons to feed/ not feed the dogs that do live under my roof a vegan diet.
    Scientific reasons, varied and widely available for dogs fed meat. Not so much for vegan dogs. Seems like a taboo topic on dog forums. So who would have this information I seek. Pretty much people that have gone through or are involved in a vegan diet for their dog. So far seems logical to maybe ask a know group to me about this and possibly get folks like you to say why the choice they made or what went wrong if a vegan diet was or is tried. I’m sorry but feeding meat to dogs is a dime a dozen on an internet search. No need to ask the question from that opinion or body of facts. Just sayin’. Seems like a good way to get an honest answer from a targeted audience right.
    I never said I want the dog to eat vegan for any reason. I believe it’s extremely irresponsible. I did go back and read what I posted and perhaps the part about the meat eating belief for the dog eluded you. My decisions are mine and like you provide no meat products in my home but do not control the diets. For me this is no different. However, it’s not just that but dealing with a relationship that is clearly divided.
    I suspect your soul searching did not just take you straight to the ethical part of this question and since we are on ethics and morals do you suppose having agreed to respect others on this site should play a role in the decision to post in a manner that was requested to avoid, oh I don’t know the mass of controversy and conflict. My feelings are not hurt I just don’t care for the eating meat jokes as one starts a whole mess of them. Counterproductive. Does it help the problem, create more problems or poke fun at the problem.
    My reasons to not eat meat are not just cruelty. Environmental as well as the unnatural aspect of mass produced food pumped up with growth hormones and antibiotics on my plate. Not here to sell you on what you already know but that’s my point about the people having never tried or contemplated the choice or lifestyle.
    If I want information from a library would it be the same from a guy on the corner with a dictionary?

Account Disabled
    Thanks

One more notable fact, Zincubus made a second post to flame on Vegan after a somewhat helpful post about the squirts. Picking up what I’m putting down. It certainly had a moment of thought there before post wash pushed.
    Truly don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect personal respect. I don’t know any of you and affect does not come through on a keyboard. Joking or not, it was not helpful nor was the assumption on who and what I was asking for. Sorry not every one can participate but hey I feel that way when I have no experience or valuable info but I refrain from useless involvement.

Thanks

I just don’t care for the eating meat jokes as one starts a whole mess of them. Counterproductive. Does it help the problem, create more problems or poke fun at the problem.
    Please know I'm just sharing, not trying to scold. I have used this same user name on many different forums.. from NFL forums, backpacking forums, running forums, etc. I can tell you the following with 100% certainty:

- You shouldn't let those comments get to you. Not worth caring or taking to heart, especially if this is going to be a long-term lifestyle choice. Dumb comments will always be there, so just have thick skin and ignore them.

- If you specifically tell people not to make comments, or let it appear in any way that it would bother you, it will only egg people on to do it more. That I promise. The only reason they do it in the first place is because they think it might might be fun to press your buttons. However, nobody finds it fun to be ignored.

- If someone really tries trolling you hard to the point where you have to address it, just calmly say "sorry to disappoint you, but I don't take the bait on that stuff" then get back to the actual conversation. That person will look dumb (and probably feel dumb).

Of course all of this is only true if you don't come off as preachy or judgey about being vegan.
    Last edited by Vegan.Hiker; 02-20-2020 at 07:04 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vegan.Hiker For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-21-2020),jmcrook (02-20-2020),MissterDog (02-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

...Dumb comments will always be there, so just have thick skin and ignore them...The only reason they do it in the first place is because they think it might might be fun to press your buttons...
    Just like when people find out that I keep snakes & they "cannot resist" telling me snakes are only good for eating, or "the only good snake is a dead snake" etc...ppl can be real jerks & I try not to reward them with the reaction they want.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-22-2020),GoingPostal (02-20-2020),Vegan.Hiker (02-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Vegan dog food?

[QUOTE=Jakethesnake69;2727201]
    One more notable fact, Zincubus made a second post to flame on Vegan after a somewhat helpful post about the squirts.

How on earth was the post below a ‘flame on vegans ‘ ??

I seriously have no idea what you’re crying about here ... I was just showing that sometimes, some dogs will prefer tomatoes to bacon ..

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    On a different note .. the other day I was frying bacon and the wife was making a salad ... our dog was stretching up trying to get at the .... tomatoes !!

Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-20-2020 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Language

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apparently some people cannot debate like mature adults so ENOUGH IS ENOUGH TAKE YOUR BICKERING TO PM, this is not a suggestion but and official warning which means after that we are heading straight to infractions.
    Deborah Stewart

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-22-2020),dr del (02-21-2020),jmcrook (02-20-2020),mlededee (02-22-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (02-21-2020)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234