Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

2 members and 2,822 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegan dog food?

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Re: Vegan dog food?

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    But you realize that by demanding only responses from those using vegan dog food, you're limiting the feedback to only those that support your opinion (an echo chamber). Instead of hearing from another perspective, i.e. someone that hasn't used vegan dog food, despite them being educated on the subject.
    Again not looking for support of feeding vegan, had you read my first post I said I’m not on board with vegan dog food.

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    My understanding is Humane dog food is dog food made using meat that is raised in a much different environment than factory farmed animals and even the slaughter is more human. My choice over the girlfriends vegan choice.I commented on this in post one and hope it does not cause confusion towards where I stand. Again open to both sides and only in how it relates to feeding animals. I eat vegan for myself and choose not to push the idea to extremes.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    On how many occasions have I seen you jump others on how they are mistreating their animals by maybe no thermostat or feeding size , etc. you do that with the respect and well being of the animal. We took on these critters and it’s our job to provide them what they need. Would you concur. I’m sure you do. Do we as pet owners have a responsibility to feed them a certain way because that’s how it’s always been done or can we do better? I can find all the the silly People eating tasty animal comments anywhere. Thought maybe some animal loving people could have a discussion like adults about this. Seems like a reasonable expectation otherwise I could have just asked the fine folks on Facebook and all that that brings.
    Jump people, no. Inform and educate, yes.

And I fully understand you have the animals best interest at heart. But you also have to understand you're on a public forum. People are going to share opinions whether you ask for them or not. It's the nature of the beast.
    You gotta take the good with the bad.

I'm sure you'll get some replies that you're looking for, but understand this is a snake forum, so dog experts or people with vegan dog diet experience may take a little time to sign in, find your thread and reply. You're asking a pretty specific question, and I know you're asking because you care about the dogs health. Please be patient, your answers will come.

And p s. I like bacon (smile, I'm just having fun)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (02-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    FWIW- my daughter feeds her dog Natural Balance brand of “vegetarian formula” canned formula. She does not use supplements, but will give tofu Deli slices as treats.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    So of the very little on line, not much is really explained other than constantly checking blood. Being extremely accurate with the diet plan and of course supplements. Seems like way to much work. I would think supplements until diet could be made right but not all the time. Vegetarian still gives animal products just not meat. Could be the dairy and eggs aid in the nutrition that full on vegan can’t?

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Dogs are not omnivorous. They are carnivores, granted by my research they aren't obligate carnivores like cats or our snakes, but facultative carnivores. They can handle small amounts of plant matter for short amounts of time, to help them in times of famine. Hence why they need a ton of supplementation and constant monitoring of health. If your research shows it's too much work, and you're fine not doing a vegan diet, I would probably just opt for a more conventional diet. It will save you a lot of work, and take out any unnecessary guesswork.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2020),GoingPostal (02-20-2020),jmcrook (02-20-2020),MissterDog (02-20-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (02-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Seriously not looking for opinion just experience. I don’t care where your eating your bacon or the fact your even eating bacon. No productive response please save your energy.

Duly noted .. I have a good memory for certain things ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Vegan dog food?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Duly noted .. I have a good memory for certain things ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Me too, we could join a forum for that and enjoy tossing out sophomoric banter together. Derail a thread or two while we are at it. Disrespect one another.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Me too, we could join a forum for that and enjoy tossing out sophomoric banter together. Derail a thread or two while we are at it. Disrespect one another.
    Seriously, dude.... Take a deep breath, it'll be ok.

P.S. way to combat "sophomoric banter" and sarcasm with more sophomoric banter and sarcasm....
    Seems like someone can dish it but not take it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (02-20-2020),wnateg (02-20-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Is "proving" a vegan diet is "the" beneficial choice to aid in a dog's life or longevity even possible? For example, certain breeds are genetically predisposed to certain diseases. Can science even prove that if a dog ends up presenting with certain diseases it was at least, in part, impacted by diet? I'm not saying obvious connections such as, "I fed my dog only bacon and now he has heart disease!" I mean to say are there even tests available to determine the detriment certain dietary deficiencies can have on a dog? To further illustrate my point, (and I refuse to do research to make it species-specific) if a person is denied vitamin D or calcium, they may develop rickets. It takes years to outwardly present with the disease, but I can bet that it feels uncomfortable long before the curved femurs and blood count abnormalities.

Also, if the underpinning of the choice stems from animal treatment/ reduction of animal cruelty, wouldn't unneccessary blood draws (based on the draws being done on an otherwise healthy dog that would not be required if the dog were fed "tested" types of dog foods) and stress at the vet be couterintuitive to the point? Could the added expense, stress and management be detrimental your relationship to the dog, thereby impacting (even subconsciously) how the dog is treated and negatively impacting it's quality of life?

Ultimately, do what you want, but consider that you (your partner, whomever) are making the choice FOR the dog and that you are experimenting because it just may be that science to prove your choice does not yet exist.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tila For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2020),CloudtheBoa (02-20-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (02-20-2020),wnateg (02-20-2020)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast