Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,863

1 members and 2,862 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegan dog food?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Vegan dog food?

My daughter and her spouse are hard core vegans. They converted their dog to an all vegetable diet. The previous owner was feeding baked chicken breast and rice mixed with kibbles daily. The dog was easily converted. I will ask if they use supplements.

As you can see here, she looks healthy and obviously not a picky eater.

Last edited by Reinz; 02-19-2020 at 04:44 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Jakethesnake69 (02-19-2020)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Thank you for that Reinz. I appreciate the response.

Seriously not looking for opinion just experience. I don’t care where your eating your bacon or the fact your even eating bacon. No productive response please save your energy.

Good responses like above or even negative stating bad consequence like more trips to vet or maybe other issues. Diahrea could be negative or positve.

This is a serious question about the science of vegan food for dogs. Things like synthetic Taurine, is it really a viable option. Humans don’t care what goes in their bodies but how does it really affect the animal. Synthetic anything sounds bad but what really does it affect. I bet only some one feeding a vegan diet to their dog. That’s who I want to hear from.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Somebody is awfully grouchy considering they're asking for advice on a public forum....

People are going to chime in, it's what people do on forums.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2020),jmcrook (02-20-2020),MissterDog (02-19-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (02-20-2020),Sonny1318 (02-19-2020),wnateg (02-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Re: Vegan dog food?

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Somebody is awfully grouchy considering they're asking for advice on a public forum....

Looking for an echo chamber apparently
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-19-2020),GoingPostal (02-19-2020),jmcrook (02-20-2020)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post

On how many occasions have I seen you jump others on how they are mistreating their animals by maybe no thermostat or feeding size , etc. you do that with the respect and well being of the animal. We took on these critters and it’s our job to provide them what they need. Would you concur. I’m sure you do. Do we as pet owners have a responsibility to feed them a certain way because that’s how it’s always been done or can we do better? I can find all the the silly People eating tasty animal comments anywhere. Thought maybe some animal loving people could have a discussion like adults about this. Seems like a reasonable expectation otherwise I could have just asked the fine folks on Facebook and all that that brings.

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Looking for an echo chamber apparently
    Or a legitimate response. Do you have any experience with vegan dog food? How did it affect your dog? Did you get the same results as the manufacture?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Or a legitimate response. Do you have any experience with vegan dog food? How did it affect your dog? Did you get the same results as the manufacture?
    But you realize that by demanding only responses from those using vegan dog food, you're limiting the feedback to only those that support your opinion (an echo chamber). Instead of hearing from another perspective, i.e. someone that hasn't used vegan dog food, despite them being educated on the subject.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2020),GoingPostal (02-19-2020),MissterDog (02-19-2020),Sonny1318 (02-19-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the main issue with specific diets is always the long term effects.

Years back when the trend was to feed grain free because it was better, many went for it, now after some long studies, vets and universities have realised that heart issues are on the rise like they were never before and it has been attributed to the grain free diet. Ironically while the subject came up with my vet my vet 3 years ago (she knows I am a NERD when it comes to medical studies especially pertinent to dogs diet) it really has only surfaces in the media in the past year.

Personally I believe in a more omnivorous diet when it comes to dogs and it's not always easy considering one of my dogs has a very specific health condition which requires me to be on the top of her diet.

Ultimately I would recommend that you talk to your vet about your dog's diet plan.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-19-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2020),Jakethesnake69 (02-19-2020),wnateg (02-19-2020)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

I’m not looking for opinions. I want to know how the dog responded. My opinion by the way is not to feed vegan. Now had you read that you would see I’m not looking for some one to sell me on something I already believe. Because I don’t. I also have zero feedback on the contrary to vegan dog food being good. Just a sideways poke at my personal choice. And one sincere successful vegan swap. I think dogs need meat, just not as much as we think. I also think that feeding them the correct diet trumps my beliefs. However people feed dogs vegetables only, put them in purses. Dress them. I only want one really good failure to prove my point. It’s open to either. Not really clear how eating bacon fits into this, it doesn’t.

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    I think the main issue with specific diets is always the long term effects.

Years back when the trend was to feed grain free because it was better, many went for it, now after some long studies, vets and universities have realised that heart issues are on the rise like they were never before and it has been attributed to the grain free diet. Ironically while the subject came up with my vet my vet 3 years ago (she knows I am a NERD when it comes to medical studies especially pertinent to dogs diet) it really has only surfaces in the media in the past year.

Personally I believe in a more omnivorous diet when it comes to dogs and it's not always easy considering one of my dogs has a very specific health condition which requires me to be on the top of her diet.

Ultimately I would recommend that you talk to your vet about your dog's diet plan.
    my fear with going to a vet is she would seek one out that tells her what she wants to hear and less of what she needs to hear.
    I’m all about the animals well being and things like Taurine can be made synthetically and as a capable person decide if I’m going to eat it. My animals get the choice I make for them and that means the good and bad like it or not. I don’t believe enough has been studied to make any claim but I do know dogs have done very well with meat incorporated in the diet. Same with cats. I think another bad idea is the raw meat diet for dogs but that’s another thing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast