Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,671

2 members and 2,669 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegan dog food?

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Vegan dog food?

Any one feed their dog this way? My girlfriend and I went vegan and now she wants to feed our animals accordingly. Snakes will always get rodents. After reading a little on the topic the cats are not going vegan, ever! Lots of info stating dogs can, however the concern of malnutrition with protein, B and D vitamins as well as vital aminos. So supplements are used?
    Personally I’m not on the bandwagon because far to many people brag about there dogs health and the vegan diet on social media But I am not convinced it’s the way to go. I don’t eat meat because of my issues with animal cruelty. That’s my moral choice. I have chose to buy humane certified pet foods for my cats and believe that’s how the dogs should be dealt with as well.
    Not looking for a debate on the vegan lifestyle just solid facts for and against vegan dog food from people with some experience using it. I want to have the facts and truly understand the risks to the animal. The ASCPA refers to dogs as opportunistic carnivores but cats are considered obligated carnivores. I believe that’s how it’s stated.
    Honestly the whole concept really bothers me and manufacturers will skew the truth to promote sales leaving out things like side effects. What does a plant based diet do for dogs?

Thanks

Re: Vegan dog food?

I’m definitely not a vegan, quite the opposite actually. However, I think people should be allowed to eat however they like. I would never force my opinion on anyone so please don’t take it that way.
    But dogs are naturally carnivorous animals. I think forcing a dog to eat a vegan diet is going to be extremely bad for their health. Can it be done? Sure. Should it be? Probably not. I’d ask any number of vets and I’d bet you’d get the same answer from all of them. “No”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lew-e For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (02-20-2020),MissterDog (02-19-2020)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Already with miss information. Dogs are omnivores eating both plant and animal for nutrition. Not at all like the gray wolf they share ancestry with. Please only some one that has gone down this road or at least seriously considered it.
    Not looking for a debate, believe me I know this is a powder keg of opinions and I will have to feed these dogs this way unless I get a real legitimate reason not to. Legitimate to my girlfriend not me. These are her dogs and her belief, I’m not so extreme.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

I've seen TV shows where people have had their dogs on Vegan diets. They add supplements to offset what cannot be produced metabolically. The dogs seem fine overall (at least in the shows).

If it is something you are really interested in: I would recommend you conduct this diet under the regular examination of a Veterinarian. Different dog breeds will have different metabolic intake requirements.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

I'm a vegetarian (Alibet quiet new) and I keep my consumption of animal products fairly low. I don't think I would ever go vegan/ vegetarian for my dogs. However I am always willing to consider something before writing it off completly. I must admit I've never thought too much about changing my dogs diet. I assume you/ your girlfreind have done quiet a bit of research on the topic and would be interested to read any sites you may have found on the topic.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Already with miss information. Dogs are omnivores eating both plant and animal for nutrition. Not at all like the gray wolf they share ancestry with. Please only some one that has gone down this road or at least seriously considered it.
    Not looking for a debate, believe me I know this is a powder keg of opinions and I will have to feed these dogs this way unless I get a real legitimate reason not to. Legitimate to my girlfriend not me. These are her dogs and her belief, I’m not so extreme.

Based on some research you will need a pretty strong vitamin and supplement regiment. Looks like it can be done but you run a very big risk if not done correctly. If you don’t care, or would prefer to not put the dogs on a vegan diet, explain it to her that way. I mean you’ll find every answer you could want on line and every different opinion. Regardless I wish you and your dogs the best of luck.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Lots of info stating dogs can, however the concern of malnutrition with protein, B and D vitamins as well as vital aminos.
    They could eat anything with enough supplements, you could feed them your shoes if you added enough supplements. Where are those supplements coming from? Who is testing the batches, how often? Do any of the companies run feeding trials? How long have they been around? What's the protein, fiber, carb, sugar, load compared to a dogs needs? What's the protein source? I see many are using pea protein heavily which is linked to DCM and other health issues in dogs, tbh it looks like most of these foods are dried peas,corn, potatoes plus massive supplements.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

lew-e (02-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Dogs are omnivores eating both plant and animal for nutrition.
    There's your reason.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-19-2020),lew-e (02-19-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (02-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Any one feed their dog this way? My girlfriend and I went vegan and now she wants to feed our animals accordingly. Snakes will always get rodents. After reading a little on the topic the cats are not going vegan, ever! Lots of info stating dogs can, however the concern of malnutrition with protein, B and D vitamins as well as vital aminos. So supplements are used?
    Personally I’m not on the bandwagon because far to many people brag about there dogs health and the vegan diet on social media But I am not convinced it’s the way to go. I don’t eat meat because of my issues with animal cruelty. That’s my moral choice. I have chose to buy humane certified pet foods for my cats and believe that’s how the dogs should be dealt with as well.
    Not looking for a debate on the vegan lifestyle just solid facts for and against vegan dog food from people with some experience using it. I want to have the facts and truly understand the risks to the animal. The ASCPA refers to dogs as opportunistic carnivores but cats are considered obligated carnivores. I believe that’s how it’s stated.
    Honestly the whole concept really bothers me and manufacturers will skew the truth to promote sales leaving out things like side effects. What does a plant based diet do for dogs?
    Just beware that it may take the dog a few days for its system to get used to vegetation dog food !!

Many years ago I spent some time working at an animal sanctuary.. we had around 200 dogs at any one time including the old fogeys and puppies..

I was responsible for 60 dogs ...

One day we got a free delivery of hundreds of tins of Linda McCartneys Vegetarian dog food ..... can you imagine how much diarrhoea 200 dogs can produce !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2020),lew-e (02-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

On a different note .. the other day I was frying bacon and the wife was making a salad ... our dog was stretching up trying to get at the .... tomatoes !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2020),NewmanLovesSnakes (02-20-2020)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast