Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,013

2 members and 3,011 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy I'm about to give up.

This ball python I bought is really underweight (its like 75g-80g, I can see extra skin folds, and she syncs with her tail almost perfect I know they're suppose to be much thicker)and it' NOT EATING. It only ate twice out of the two months its been here. I'm honestly starting to lose my mind. All the temperatures are good as well. At this point I feel like it's trying to starve itself. Any ideas? Should I be worried? Ahhhhhhhh
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-19-2020 at 10:35 AM. Reason: TOS

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: I'm about to give up.

Need more info. Do you know anything about it like the age? Aprox how long is it at 75 grams? What kind of enclosure do you have? Is it quiet where you keep it? Any Pics so we can see its overall condition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Have you tried offering her something different to eat? Like if you're giving her live, then f/t? It could be that she doesn't like what's being offered to her. Or It could be that she's just fasting. Many BP's tend to go into a fasting period during the winter months.

If that isn't working then it may be that she isn't feeling well. Have you taken her to see a vet yet?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do this to a T https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101

And if you can't or don't want to, surrender the animal to someone with experience when it comes to young BP

If an animal is that frustrating think that you will experience the same frustration for the next 30 years, maybe not something you are ready for.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-19-2020),dakski (02-19-2020),GoingPostal (02-19-2020),jmcrook (02-19-2020),Lord Sorril (02-19-2020),wnateg (02-19-2020)

Thanks

Hey, it's a little under six months. Approx. 20-25 in. I have it in a 10 gallon tank. I covered 3 sides of the tank to try and make it feel more secure with two hides and couple fake vines hanging around. I put in the dining room because I'm usually in my room and there is little to no traffic there so it is fairly quiet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to G0tti215 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

If the snake has eaten twice in 2 months then it's not starving itself. I've never seen a healthy snake starve itself to death even though I've had a few stubborn eaters. Do you have a picture of your setup? What are your temps like and are they being regulated by a thermostat? Some snakes take a little longer to acclimate to new surroundings and BPs are notorious for taking long, unexplained food breaks. I had one BP that went 8 months, and another that went a full year, without eating and they were both fine. Try to stay patient and focused on solutions. They all eat eventually. You can try feeding live, braining, scenting, or a different prey type. I don't think that's necessary just yet though. If temps are dialed in accurately then just keep offering food every 2 weeks until he starts to eat. The hunger always wins in the end.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-19-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    In order to help you we need more info....

What are your temps?
    How are you heating the enclosure?
    How are you measuring temps?

Are you handling the snake at all?

What size prey are you offering?
    How often are you offering??

Answering these questions will help us help you and your snake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    If the snake has eaten twice in 2 months then it's not starving itself. I've never seen a healthy snake starve itself to death even though I've had a few stubborn eaters. Do you have a picture of your setup? What are your temps like and are they being regulated by a thermostat? Some snakes take a little longer to acclimate to new surroundings and BPs are notorious for taking long, unexplained food breaks. I had one BP that went 8 months, and another that went a full year, without eating and they were both fine. Try to stay patient and focused on solutions. They all eat eventually. You can try feeding live, braining, scenting, or a different prey type. I don't think that's necessary just yet though. If temps are dialed in accurately then just keep offering food every 2 weeks until he starts to eat. The hunger always wins in the end.
    This. Above.
    Also at 24” or so 75-80 grams is not terrible. Give him sometime and do not try to feed every week. Try every 2 weeks. Refusing can become habit forming and stressful of they do not want to eat.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    This. Above.
    Also at 24” or so 75-80 grams is not terrible. Give him sometime and do not try to feed every week. Try every 2 weeks. Refusing can become habit forming and stressful of they do not want to eat.

At a little under 6 months it is actually terrible (basically hatch weight) that needs to be addressed fast before the animal reached the point of no return but husbandry changes must be done. Especially considering the physical description along with the weight

At that size and age the animal should be voracious if it's not it means the current husbandry is not working (among other thing)
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-19-2020),GoingPostal (02-19-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    At a little under 6 months it is actually terrible (basically hatch weight) that needs to be addressed fast before the animal reached the point of no return but husbandry changes must be done. Especially considering the physical description along with the weight

At that size and age the animal should be voracious if it's not it means the current husbandry is not working (among other thing)
    Well you have a lot more hatchling experience Deb, Ive only owned about 8 total Constrictors within 32/33 years of keeping and a couple I got as sub adults.
    The 2 Balls I have now were around 59-70 grams if I can remember correctly and I got them around 3 - 6 months old. Even though they were from reputable breeders I believe the 6 month old was maintenance fed.
    Most take to eating right off the bat without trouble so something is going on with this lil guy.
    I haven’t seen the 10 gallon setup that is being used and do not know if heats regulated or what ambient is. If that was mentioned in another thread I missed it. Also wondering if there are hides provided. All my Balls eat with just their heads sticking out of a hide to this day at 2500 grams and years old.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast