Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,244

3 members and 3,241 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Possible Kidney Failure

Hello,
    My BP is 2.5 years old and recently started losing some weight. He's been eating and I thought he was fine until I noticed a slight bulge forming above his tail and vent (not right on top but further up the body not to the middle though), I researched where their organs are located and the bulge seems to fall where the kidneys are. He went a long time without pooping and recently has been pooping and peeing more frequently. I tried to research what could be causing this but I've had a difficult time getting answers. I don't know what to do besides call his vet in the morning. I feel absolutely terrible and am in a bit of a freak out mode. Any information regarding his possible condition or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SirBarlesLee For This Useful Post:

Damien79 (02-18-2020)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Possible Kidney Failure

You might be describing the notorious 'sausage butt', or it could be an obstruction. You could try soaking the snake in 'warm' (85F) water and see if that gets things moving. Without a photo--we would just be guessing.
    *.* TNTC

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-18-2020),Bogertophis (02-18-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I had a boa pass away from kidney cancer (necropsy confirmed it). The first outward symptom was that the smell of her urine changed; it became really rank, almost like it was burned.

What size feeders has your snake been eating and how often is he fed?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    You definitely should talk this over with your vet: the weight loss (if & when eating OK) can suggest cancer, & snakes can get tumors just like anything else, but that's
    by NO means a diagnosis. If the bulge is further up (not right above the cloaca) it does suggest maybe an obstruction* of some kind rather than "sausage butt" (needing to eliminate), but do get the help of your vet...we can kick ideas around here but it's not the same as being seen.

Hope it's nothing as serious as you fear. How much of a weight loss are you talking about? Do you weight your snake regularly or is this just a guess? And just because the swelling is "near" the kidneys doesn't mean they're involved for sure. If he's possibly just "backed up", it wouldn't hurt to soak him as Lord Sorril suggested, but also in something that allows him to "swim" in place with you supporting him (like your bath tub)...that motion combined with the warmish water will help a snake to eliminate. (sometimes "explosively"- so don't wear your best silk shirt when you do this, lol)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-18-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Damien79 (03-08-2020)

Thanks

It's not the sausage butt (I wish it was) the bulge is higher up unfortunately. I did try the soaking and I think it helped, he's peed several more times and had some small poops and the bulge seems to be getting smaller. I'm hoping he was just a bit constipated but I have a vet appointment for him next week just to be safe.

Thanks

He has been peeing more but that's not very unusual for him (he will typically go to the bathroom several times in the course of a few days and then go a period of time with nothing). I haven't noticed a burning smell the odor seems the same but today I noted no urates just a wet spot. I have a vet appointment for him next week so we can get everything looked at. He eats once a week usually a small rat or the biggest mouse my feeder has available.
    Last edited by SirBarlesLee; 02-22-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks

The weight loss is just speculation, he looks slightly thiner but he's always been on the small side (not just thin but small in length and structure). The bulge seems to be the kidney area which is what started my concern but it has gotten smaller the past few days (he'd gone number one and two every day for a few days in a row). I did try the soak and i think it helped (he peed lol) and honestly any excrement at this point I'll take after so many days of nothing. I have a vet appointment for him on Thursday and I relayed all of my concerns to them when I called.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

I would hold off feeding until after the vet appointment. If there's a blockage you don't want more stuff piled up behind it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Snakes don't typically "go" (either urates or feces) very often...it's not a daily thing, & often not even once per meal eaten, it can be less often than that & still be normal.

The bulge does suggest a possible blockage...he needs to stay hydrated (which it sounds like he's doing with help) & I agree with bcr229's post above ^ ^ ^ that now
    is NOT the time to feed him...wait & see what the vet thinks. It could be something else too, of course, but with any luck, the extra hydration might just let him pass it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Damien79 (03-08-2020)

Thanks

Yeah that's a good idea. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast