Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,051

1 members and 3,050 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Threaded View

Thanks

Very Underweight Ball Python, Will there be lasting effects?

Hey everyone,

In the fall of last year I took over care of my roommate's ball python. We became roommates in November of 2019, but I took over care of her female ball in September/October of 2019 after seeing the condition she was in. She was purchased from a show in January of 2019 and I have no information on her age/etc when she was purchased. However, I am guessing she was a 2018 September or October baby by her size etc. I didn't see the snake after it was purchased until September, and when I did she was not much bigger than when I saw her at purchase, and she was very thin and had that "triangular" look. Unfortunately I didn't have a gram scale until October, and when I weighed her (after I had already gotten 3 or 4 meals in her) she was only 170g. I know that snake was only MAYBE 100g when she was purchased. The snake would strike at the glass and anything that came near her until I got her on a good feeding schedule, and now looking back, I wonder if it was out of desperate hunger and less aggression or fear strikes.

Before everyone rags on my roommate, I will say that she did TRY to do right by the snake, putting her in a suitable enclosure and spent upwards of $200 for supplies. I would ask about her all the time and she did periodically tell me that she was refusing food. Anytime that I would ask if she needed me to come check on her, our schedules didn't line up right and it never happened. She worked night shift and I worked day shift. I can honestly say, knowing my roommate, that the snake did not become emaciated because she didn't care. I think life just overtook her and she couldn't get the snake to eat. It's not an excuse, but I did want to say that this was not a case of malicious neglect.

Now, present day, I have managed to get the snake up to 456g as of today, 02/15/2020. She is on a frozen/thawed large weaned rat every 7 days and eats for me with no issues, with the exception of 2 weeks ago when she was in shed, which I'm not mad about. She looks really good now; healthy muscle tone and shape. My question is she going to have lasting effects from her lack of nutrition at an early age? We have no issues getting her to take food now, and she gains weight every week. I have never dealt with a snake that had a rocky start to life as far as nutrition is concerned. Should I worry about her growing slower, or having health issues down the road? This snake is a het albino female, and I do intend to use her in my breeding program at some point, but only if there is no ill health effects. If she is going to have issues, I will purchase another het or a visual for my program.

Thanks in advance for your input everyone,

~Ghost
    Serpens Reptiles EST 2019
    I spent the first 23 years of my life, living in fear of snakes. I want to help others see the beauty and power of these amazing animals, and give them the chance to see reptiles with wonder and love rather than fear and hate.

1.0 Normal (Hubble)
    1.0 Pied (Oberon)
    1.0 Albino (Jupiter)
    1.0 Vanilla Het Clown (Cassini)
    0.1 Het Albino (Minerva)
    0.1 Lesser Het OG 66% Het Clown (Saturn)
    0.1 Het Pied (Ophelia)
    0.1 Spider (Shatter)
    0.1 Mojave (Alya)
    0.1 Mystic Leopard (Pandora)
    1.0 Amelanistic Corn Snake (Salazar)
    1.0 Okeetee Corn Snake (Panic)
    0.1 Chocolate Albino Leopard Gecko (Perry)

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" J. Canfield

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GhostEchoes92 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-15-2020)