Hello, I’m seeking some advice on feeding my ball python. I was given a ball python for Christmas. I’ve had one other ball pythons before, but I got him as an adult, so this is my first time with a juvenile ball python. Since getting him on Christmas morning, I’ve had some difficulty with feeding my new snake.
So far, I have not had any success feeding him. He was purchased from Petsmart and had always been fed frozen “fuzzies.” I finally was able to talk to the person who cares for the snakes. He said that they have always fed him in a separate container. In all my previous attempts, I have tried to feed him in his own enclosure. Last weekend, I tried feeding him in a separate container, with no success. I feel like I only stressed him more. I know it’s not ideal, and I did not intend to stress my snake, I just want him to eat. I would prefer to feed him in his enclosure. Any tips/tricks to “train” him to do this successfully?
Also, I have noted that he seems rather fearful of me. I think that my presence during feeding is a deterrence. I would like to make him realize that I’m not a threat, but according to everything I’ve read, handling should be a minimum until he feeds. But, if he is not eating because he is scared of me, should I try to handle him more?
Sorry if I seem ignorant. Because he was a gift, I don’t have any of his previous records. I’ve tried to do so much research and I’ve tried several different ways of feeding. It’s just hard because my old snake had such a great eater and was always super friendly. I never had any difficulties with him. I am getting mildly anxious, because my ball python hasn’t fed for me yet since I got him. I just want the best for my new guy. I would value any input into my feeding situation. Thanks!