Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,225

2 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New setup not working well? Also is my snake okay?

Hello,

I posted a bit ago and ha e taken a lot of ideas and changed up my snake terrarium. However, one thing I do not know is if the ground is getting hot enough. I setup a thermos stat probe under the soil where my new heat mat is (from bottom up is heat pad, glass, probe, soil) but the thermostat is reading it's 90 degrees but when I touch the soil, it doesn't feel like it's 90 degrees. It's a bit warm but I don't think it's 90. Any idea what's wrong? I have a little pocket size temp checker (Reptitemp is what it's called and it's a digital infrared thermometer) and it says my warm side top soil is more like 85 degrees rather than the 90 something the thermostat reads. So I'm just confused.

Also, I've adopted this snake so Idk if she is a healthy weight or not. She's young measuring 18 inches about and weighs 66 grams I believe. I think she's under weight but input is appreciated. I also do see her spine a bit but I've never had a python ever so I'm not certain if this is ok for young snakes. She eats fine but only takes live. She also is handled very other day for 1 hour and is actually quite comfortable it seems. She even pooped and peed on my back without me knowing till I put her away!
    Last edited by Sandaconda; 02-28-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks

Re: New setup not working well? Also is my snake okay?

You're going to want to put the thermostat probe outside the tank, sandwiched between the heat mat and the glass. This is safer because inside the tank it can get wet and read a lower temp than it actually is, causing your heat mat to get too warm. Also, since we are 98° normally, 90° is not going to feel especially warm, so trust your infrared thermometer. The temperature of the soil is irrelevant, you want to be taking the temperature of the glass as your snake is likely to push the substrate around and burrow down to the warmth. I'm newer to the hobby as well, but that's what I have learned here as well as from my research outside of the forum.

I'll let the more experienced members chime in about body condition but that does sound skinny to me....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-29-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-29-2020),GoingPostal (03-03-2020),Zincubus (02-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    You're going to want to put the thermostat probe outside the tank, sandwiched between the heat mat and the glass. This is safer because inside the tank it can get wet and read a lower temp than it actually is, causing your heat mat to get too warm. Also, since we are 98° normally, 90° is not going to feel especially warm, so trust your infrared thermometer. The temperature of the soil is irrelevant, you want to be taking the temperature of the glass as your snake is likely to push the substrate around and burrow down to the warmth. I'm newer to the hobby as well, but that's what I have learned here as well as from my research outside of the forum.

I'll let the more experienced members chime in about body condition but that does sound skinny to me....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    ^ all of the above ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Southpaw91 (02-29-2020)

Thanks
    I check my digital thermometer from time to time shooting it on the wall right next to my furnace thermostat, those are usually pretty accurate. Remember your body temps should be well over 90 degrees so a 90 degree surface might not feel warm to the touch. Once you know your digital thermometer is accurate trust it not your touch. Get the inside floor surface to the desired temp and then cover with the substrate. They will burrow down to get to the temp they want to be at. Sometimes mine sits on top of the substrate in the hot side, sometimes he moves down to the glass. Don't worry about what the substrate temps are as long as the floor temps are correct.

Also don't rely on the thermostat readout. My hot side stays at 95-95 to keep the floor at 89 degrees. The cool side sits at 80 and keeps the glass at 80.
    Last edited by Midwest; 02-29-2020 at 10:43 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-29-2020)

Thanks
    Okay so I should reposition the thermos probe and trust it? I just ordered it and the heat mat so its new tech for me. The probe is currently technically under her hide right now since it's her favorite spot but I haven't seen her move from there to the cool side since the remodel. Im just concerned for heats sake since I don't want her to get sick.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaconda View Post
    Hello,

I posted a bit ago and ha e taken a lot of ideas and changed up my snake terrarium. However, one thing I do not know is if the ground is getting hot enough. I setup a thermos stat probe under the soil where my new heat mat is (from bottom up is heat pad, glass, probe, soil) but the thermostat is reading it's 90 degrees but when I touch the soil, it doesn't feel like it's 90 degrees. It's a bit warm but I don't think it's 90. Any idea what's wrong? I have a little pocket size temp checker (Reptitemp is what it's called and it's a digital infrared thermometer) and it says my warm side top soil is more like 85 degrees rather than the 90 something the thermostat reads. So I'm just confused.

As stated, use an IR temp gun to get the proper ground temps and adjust thermostat accordingly.

Also, I've adopted this snake so Idk if she is a healthy weight or not. She's young measuring 18 inches about and weighs 66 grams I believe. I think she's under weight but input is appreciated. I also do see her spine a bit but I've never had a python ever so I'm not certain if this is ok for young snakes. She eats fine but only takes live. She also is handled very other day for 1 hour and is actually quite comfortable it seems. She even pooped and peed on my back without me knowing till I put her away!
    What size prey are you feeding her and how often?

Why on Earth on your handling her so much? She does sound thin and needs to be eating and resting not spending energy being handled.

A young BP should be handled for 5 minutes at a time or so, every few days, if healthy. They stress easy and again, are often pet rocks when not being handled, so they do not spend a lot energy normally.

I recommend basically leaving her alone and getting some weight on her and then worry about handling.

On the live vs. F/T issue, you might be able to switch her at a later date, but right now you need her eating, so give her what she will eat.

EDIT: I realize this may sound a little harsh, but we are here to help. There can be little margin of error with young snakes and we want your BP to thrive.

Feel free to ask for clarification on anything.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-29-2020 at 01:19 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2020),GoingPostal (03-03-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Okay so I should reposition the thermos probe and trust it? I just ordered it and the heat mat so its new tech for me. The probe is currently technically under her hide right now since it's her favorite spot but I haven't seen her move from there to the cool side since the remodel. Im just concerned for heats sake since I don't want her to get sick.
    Nope, you reposition the probe OUTSIDE the enclosure and then check temps with your temp gun.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2020),dakski (02-29-2020),MissterDog (02-29-2020)

Thanks
    Once I got the thermostats set on my UTH's I use the temp gun to check the temps. I check them once a day and I adjust accordingly based on what the temp gun says, not what the thermostat reading says. After I got them dialed in I have only had to adjust one of them one time since November. The heat in that room stays constant so I assume that helps as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Take no notice what the temp the stat says ... it’s just a very rough guide .

The hot spot surface temps should be taken using either a digital temp gun or digital thermometer ( with a wired probe- not a stick on thermometer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Okay so I've repositioned her temp probe but I still can't get the temp high on the substrate. Even the glass below the substrate isn't too high. The glass gets to maybe 92 degrees on a good day. The substrate over the glass gets to a max of 85 on the hot side. The thermostat is at its highest setting so I'm not certain what to do now. Any tips?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast