Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

2 members and 3,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cursed?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts

Re: Cursed?

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    When my Carpets are in this position I have learned to not even bother offering food. Even if they are “scheduled” to eat or past due. It’s as though all they have on their mind is coming out of the cage or just watching me, or just plain o’ herp derping.
    That's very interesting Reinz. My Bredli is still young so he has never refused a meal, even during winter.
    But my Ball Python will refuse 100% of the time if he's roaming about in his enclosure when is time to feed and like you I don't even bother to offer. He has to be in his hide with his head sticking out, and then I know he's ready to eat.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

Thanks

Re: Cursed?...We have two eaters.

All,

After probably five months, finally have two snakes eating again. Hopefully for anybody who reads this thread, realize that patience and consistency will likely pay off.

The method that finally worked was:

1. Thaw the rat in lukewarm water.

2. Bring water on stove to roughly 130* and also keep a bowl of about 110* water available.

3. When ready to feed, put rat in the warmer bowl of water and let sit for about 5 minutes. Pat dry. Get a cup of the hot water and dip the rats head in it for about 1 minute.

4. Quick-pay dry, offer and continue this process until it eats.

This variegata has no strike response and likes to smell all over the rat and still refuse. This has been the issue for months. Ended up dropping the whole rat in the hot water for about thirty seconds and laying it outside the hide and she finally ate. Will continue moving up sizes here and likely feed every couple weeks. Hope she continues to eat.

Thanks for all the advice.

CJ

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cee Jay For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (04-19-2020),GoingPostal (05-07-2020),vivi (04-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I'm glad your critters are eating again. I'm a firm believer that they all eat eventually. My last holdout took her first meal yesterday after a 4 month fast. I hope yours are back on track now.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Cee Jay (04-20-2020)

Thanks

Would you move up in meal size right away?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cee Jay View Post
    Would you move up in meal size right away?
    I actually feed smaller meals when they're coming off of a fast. If they were eating large/medium rats I'll give them mediums/smalls for a couple of feedings. Once I know their appetites are consistent and strong then I'll increase the prey size. My Bredli is really quirky. He normally eats medium rats. He won't touch rats right now but he'll slam jumbo mice. I'll let him have a couple of mice just to get him eating again then I'll start scenting the rats with a mouse. He'll refuse a couple of times and I won't feed him anything. After a few refusals he'll take a scented rat and in a couple of months he'll be eating unscented rats again. It sounds like your crew is heating up again. There's nothing wrong with giving them more food while they're taking it. I tend to feed my animals just a little bit more during the summer months. They eat more like every 2-4 weeks. My bullsnakes and Olive eat every 10-14 days.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 04-20-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Cee Jay (04-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thought I'd add to this "cursed" post, even this is more of a general question. After finally eating after months, my variegata has been sniffing and literally sort of looking down at a f/t rat for a couple hours now. The wife is home doing the feeding, but has anybody experienced this? I saw a thread about it years ago someone posted, but it seemed more like a "guarding the rat" type of situation. This is more like straight glaring down at it very intently...for a long time. Am I cursed?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234