Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,860

0 members and 2,860 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cursed?

Thanks

Re: Cursed?

Hey I appreciate that. I ordered some large black hamsters and some extra large black rats from Rodent Pro last night, so I will give those a try with the new thaw method, one at a time to not waste them. Appreciate all the help here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cee Jay For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-13-2020)

Thanks

Not sure if anybody still reads these threads, but here's an update. Got rats and XL hamsters from Rodent Pro and thawed them in cold water. Offered one to each, since the Variegata has eaten jumbo rats, but seems smaller now after not eating for so long. My jungle was not interested in food, but the Variegata was more than usual. I was flailing this hamster around so much trying to simulate it being alive, which got him excited as he went to sniff it once, but no go.

Anyway, this morning I woke up to my Jungle doing something I haven't seen him do since I got him and around the time he ate. He was up on the glass just posted up. Picture below. Since he just denied food, would you all wait to feed him, or try again with him being on the glass like that? He has since moved, but just wanted to see what you all thought. Happy Sunday.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cee Jay View Post
    Not sure if anybody still reads these threads, but here's an update. Got rats and XL hamsters from Rodent Pro and thawed them in cold water. Offered one to each, since the Variegata has eaten jumbo rats, but seems smaller now after not eating for so long. My jungle was not interested in food, but the Variegata was more than usual. I was flailing this hamster around so much trying to simulate it being alive, which got him excited as he went to sniff it once, but no go.

Anyway, this morning I woke up to my Jungle doing something I haven't seen him do since I got him and around the time he ate. He was up on the glass just posted up. Picture below. Since he just denied food, would you all wait to feed him, or try again with him being on the glass like that? He has since moved, but just wanted to see what you all thought. Happy Sunday.

When my Carpets are in this position I have learned to not even bother offering food. Even if they are “scheduled” to eat or past due. It’s as though all they have on their mind is coming out of the cage or just watching me, or just plain o’ herp derping.

There have been times when they are in hunt mode all day, so I defrost the rats. By the time I get them ready they snapped out of hunting mode and only have a jail break on their mind. The rats are never wasted though, there’s always someone in the room who will eat it.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-15-2020),Cee Jay (02-24-2020),EL-Ziggy (02-24-2020),RickyNY (04-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

If any of my snakes refuse food they have to wait at least 2 weeks before I offer again. Two of my carpets are starting to eat consistently again. The other three are still hit or miss. I agree with Reinz. Your Jungle looks more like he wants out of the enclosure than he is hungry. My carpets are usually perched and poised to strike when they're hungry.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-27-2020),Cee Jay (02-24-2020),Reinz (02-25-2020),RickyNY (04-16-2020)

Thanks
    I wish I had snakes that ate! Mine go to the coyotes in the valley!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cee Jay View Post
    I wish I had snakes that ate! Mine go to the coyotes in the valley!
    So you're not a failure then, you just have the wrong 'pets' in the house?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-24-2020 at 11:15 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reinz (02-25-2020)

Thanks

Could very well be, smart ass...hahahaha

Thanks
    I have a carpet x gtp cross and he has been off feed for about 2 months. I still offer every 3 weeks or so.

Thanks

Re: Cursed? Double shed during a fast?

Been a while, everybody. Hope everybody is spending some quality time with their snakes in our current state of affairs. If any of you have followed along with this, my Jungle finally ate a small rat for the first time in probably 5 months, so that is a good thing. My Variegata still hasn't eaten, but is still acting normal. What's really crazy is that she has shed completely 2x since not eating, one of those was today, which has me completely mind blown. The heat spot by the RHP was just turned up to 94-95* from 93, with the cold side around low 80s. Humidity stays at 65% and I really think the husbandry in both enclosures, which run on the same thermo, is as spot on as anything.

Really not terribly worried yet, but hoping the warmer temps that were just increased, induced the other shed. She did a random poop about a month ago, so it's all just really weird at this point. It was really moist and relatively normal considering the extended time without food. She's "leaner" but not emaciated looking. I suppose a snake that hasn't eating in some time isn't going to be as beefy as when normal feeding. Would love to hear any experience with this anybody has had and any words of advice. Thnx.

CJ

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

As long as my husbandry is on point, and I don't think the snake is sick, I don't worry about them not eating anymore. I do think your temps are just a little high. I keep my carpets with a hot spot of 88-90 max and ambient temps in the mid 70s to low 80s. A few of my carpets go off feed seasonally. All but one of them are eating again now and it looks like that snake is prepping to shed even though she hasn't eaten since December. Now that your jungle has had a meal hopefully she's back on track. Your other critter should catch on again soon too. My Coastal didn't eat all of January or February but has eaten the last two times I've offered food. My Bredli has been hit or miss since December but he ate a jumbo mouse in late March. I'll probably have to give him jumbo mice or scented rats until he's eating normally again. Keep offering food every 2-4 weeks and they'll get with the program eventually. The hunger ALWAYS wins in the end
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Cee Jay (04-19-2020),jmcrook (04-16-2020),RickyNY (04-16-2020)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast