Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 453

15 members and 438 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 67,144
Threads: 241,773
Posts: 2,509,884
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, zackbalbin
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    BPnet Veteran Blitzjg's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-01-2013
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    Corn snake vs BP enclosure contents

    While browsing the threads here I realized I may not be providing my BP with an ideal enclosure.

    My corn snake has been in a traditional petshop style vivarium with aspen shavings, two hides, water dish and an artificial branch log that is almost the height of the cage 18ish inches or so.

    My BP is in a T8, has been on cypress mulch, however I am transitioning to butcher paper, with two hides and a water dish. Thats it aside from some fake short plants I added for asthetics.

    I'm starting to think that the artificial branch may get more use with my BP. I don't think my corn spends much if any time climbing, unless the top is off of the cage, and if I remove it he will have more ability to burrow.

    I've noticed my BP climbing the walls/sides of his enclosure, in fact, he actually dislodged the fluorescent light bulb that is in there by climbing/exploring (although I imagine this is hunting behavior).

    Should I give him the branch? Or get more objects for him and leave the corn with his piece?

    Edit: I could also just not be noticing if/when my corn climbs.
    Last edited by Blitzjg; 02-12-2020 at 06:11 PM.

    1.0 Link, my Abbott Okeetee corn snake
    1.0 Pit, my Yellow-belly ball python
    1.1 Ramza and Midna, my kittens

  2. #2
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,081
    Thanks
    4,339
    Thanked 5,168 Times in 2,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Corn snake vs BP enclosure contents

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzjg View Post
    While browsing the threads here I realized I may not be providing my BP with an ideal enclosure.

    My corn snake has been in a traditional petshop style vivarium with aspen shavings, two hides, water dish and an artificial branch log that is almost the height of the cage 18ish inches or so.

    My BP is in a T8, has been on cypress mulch, however I am transitioning to butcher paper, with two hides and a water dish. Thats it aside from some fake short plants I added for asthetics.

    I'm starting to think that the artificial branch may get more use with my BP. I don't think my corn spends much if any time climbing, unless the top is off of the cage, and if I remove it he will have more ability to burrow.

    I've noticed my BP climbing the walls/sides of his enclosure, in fact, he actually dislodged the fluorescent light bulb that is in there by climbing/exploring (although I imagine this is hunting behavior).

    Should I give him the branch? Or get more objects for him and leave the corn with his piece?

    Edit: I could also just not be noticing if/when my corn climbs.
    BP's are ground dwellers. They can climb and explore, but in nature, they like to burrow in rat holes and wait for dinner.

    What do you have for hides for you BP? Snug, and identical warm and cool side? I think having more places to hide would make a happier BP than a branch, but I don't think the branch can hurt. Having said that, make sure the branch is very secure as an adult BP is strong and heavy compared to an adult corn. You BP could easily knock it down and on his/her self.

    Also, they are all very adaptable as long as their temp, humidity, and hide requirements are met. My corns spend most of the day hiding and cruise at night for food. Neither has climbing items in their tank but both come out for "exercise." Same with my BP.

    I believe that done up cages are more for us as keepers, in general, than for the snakes. I keep simple tanks, with paper substrate, that meet the needs of my animals, but are easy to clean, but not nice to look at. I have 13 tanks and it's much easier to maintain a large number of tanks with needs being met, but not going crazy with decorations.

    I imagine your corn would use the branch more than the BP, but being active late and early, you might not see it, or he/she prefers to hide.

  3. #3
    BPnet Veteran Blitzjg's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-01-2013
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    Re: Corn snake vs BP enclosure contents

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    BP's are ground dwellers. They can climb and explore, but in nature, they like to burrow in rat holes and wait for dinner.

    What do you have for hides for you BP? Snug, and identical warm and cool side? I think having more places to hide would make a happier BP than a branch, but I don't think the branch can hurt. Having said that, make sure the branch is very secure as an adult BP is strong and heavy compared to an adult corn. You BP could easily knock it down and on his/her self.

    Also, they are all very adaptable as long as their temp, humidity, and hide requirements are met. My corns spend most of the day hiding and cruise at night for food. Neither has climbing items in their tank but both come out for "exercise." Same with my BP.

    I believe that done up cages are more for us as keepers, in general, than for the snakes. I keep simple tanks, with paper substrate, that meet the needs of my animals, but are easy to clean, but not nice to look at. I have 13 tanks and it's much easier to maintain a large number of tanks with needs being met, but not going crazy with decorations.

    I imagine your corn would use the branch more than the BP, but being active late and early, you might not see it, or he/she prefers to hide.

    Thank you, great response.

    My BP has these, not sure if its the exact product, but yea one on the warm side and one on the cool side.

    1.0 Link, my Abbott Okeetee corn snake
    1.0 Pit, my Yellow-belly ball python
    1.1 Ramza and Midna, my kittens

  4. #4
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,718
    Thanks
    14,781
    Thanked 8,622 Times in 5,509 Posts
    As already noted, BPs are NOT big on climbing (but corn snakes ARE), so that makes me wonder if your BP has the proper temperatures or sense of security...snakes
    often try to escape when they're either hungry, or uncomfortable for some reason (such as too hot, too cold, hides don't feel secure enough, humidity too low, etc).

    Please double check your temperatures (hi & low) with accurate measuring device. Is the heat controlled by a thermostat? Very important. Also, your BP would likely
    be happier on mulch (rather than paper), as the mulch retains some humidity they need.

    BTW, my corn snakes do most of their climbing at night... I like to attach a basket to their branches- they'll often sleep in it, like a tree house. It's pretty cute.


    You mentioned a fluorescent light in the BPs cage? Very few snakes enjoy being under bright lights...BPs surely do not, that's another reason he may want out.

    It's also risky to swap furnishings between snake cages, as one may harbor germs they are resistant to, & then you'll be sharing them with the other snake who may not be. Same reason it's best not to "re-offer" food items, especially among different kinds of snakes or snakes that came from different sources. Branches can also harbor & "re-home" mites...I'm hoping you've checked your snakes though, & know they're mite-free? (I mention this not knowing how long you've had them, for "best practices" advice.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-13-2020 at 06:30 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    wnateg (02-13-2020)

  6. #5
    Registered User wnateg's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-25-2019
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    454
    Thanks
    414
    Thanked 445 Times in 232 Posts

    Re: Corn snake vs BP enclosure contents

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I like to attach a basket to their branches- they'll often sleep in it, like a tree house. It's pretty cute.
    That's a great idea.
    0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    0.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"
    -----
    0.0.1 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"


  7. #6
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,718
    Thanks
    14,781
    Thanked 8,622 Times in 5,509 Posts

    Re: Corn snake vs BP enclosure contents

    Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    That's a great idea.
    Thanks, & what's more, you can find a HUGE variety of baskets in thrift stores very cheaply...just make SURE there are no holes your snake can get stuck in.
    I keep rat snakes too (Florida & Trans Pecos, etc) and they love their baskets also. You can find "baskets" that are more like a platform...my bigger (Florida) rat snakes prefer those.

    I generally spray "used" baskets with my chlorhexidine spray (or F10) & let them dry to kill any germs before I install them. I use pieces of coated wire to attach to branches, or for more permanent attachments (or rowdy snakes) zip-ties are handy also.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-13-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  8. #7
    BPnet Veteran Blitzjg's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-01-2013
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Great advice.

    Can you post an example picture or two of your basket setup? I'm having a hard time picturing something sturdy enough that would fit in mine.

    Both snakes are adults that I've had for almost 5 years, > 5 for the corn. Never have had any health issues other than a bad shed once or twice. I will double check the temps, I was switching away from the mulch because the humidity was a bit higher than ideal.

    Regarding the light fixture, it was more for viewing (for guests/friends) and cleaning purposes. It is never on outside of those instances. He is generally not very active, so it is probably hunting / hunger related, but again Ill double check tonight.

    1.0 Link, my Abbott Okeetee corn snake
    1.0 Pit, my Yellow-belly ball python
    1.1 Ramza and Midna, my kittens

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1