Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

1 members and 3,112 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Threaded View

Thanks

To adopt or not?

Hi all! My family and I got our first two ball pythons (a Butter Ball and a Super Fire) in 2019, and have gleaned such valuable guidance from these forums about how to care for them properly. They're thriving in their current set-ups!

My question is about adopting a third ball python, and whether I'm taking on more than I can handle with her.

I happened across one on Craigslist, she's a 4 year old normal, about 4' long, that's been with her current family for about a year. They've got two young kids and she doesn't fit with their lifestyle anymore. I was definitely not in the market for a new snake, but something about her calls to me.

Her set-up seems not optimal -- she's in a huge fish aquarium (48"!) with plexiglass lids that don't lock (they're just weighed down), they've got two heat lamps *inside* the enclosure, manual thermometers and hygrometers that aren't that accurate, and propped-up terra cotta saucers for hides that don't allow her to completely tuck herself in. All of these choices were made for budget reasons, which I absolutely understand, and I'm also concerned that she might have some chronic stress happening because of these factors.

I think they've also been overfeeding her - one medium rat every week, which seems like a lot at 4 years old.

I met her yesterday and she seems a total sweetie. She felt really hot when I first held her, which is probably because their mats don't have thermostats attached. I also noticed that she felt a little on the squishy side, and her tail was a little chunky; it didn't taper down like our other two, instead it was like chunk-chunk-chunk-sudden-little-tail. No mites, no bubbles, nothing else to indicate trouble. She did have a little bit of stuck shed on her face, but that seems correctable with better humidity monitoring and control.

After I met her, I did some research and figured out that she's probably a little overweight. I didn't know to look for scale spreading, so I'm not sure how bad it is. It's possible that she was also about to poop soon? Her tail does look like the one in this graphic under "obese physique" - https://www.reptifiles.com/ball-pyth...ealth/obesity/

In all, she'd need a gradual transition to a smaller enclosure and steadier temps to fit into our husbandry practices. And we'd want to space out her feeding more to make sure she's not carrying excess weight.

Given all this information, does this seem like a lot to take on with a 4 year old snake?
    Or is it pretty average when talking about adoption/rehoming?
    Or am I misreading something about her situation altogether?

Thanks!
    Jennifer
    Last edited by neonresidue; 02-12-2020 at 03:04 PM.