Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,907

1 members and 2,906 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Thank you for the advice everyone! I got Kallari's lab results back and it was reported her pancreas, liver, a section of intestine, and spleen were all normal.

I admit I was disappointed her heart was not sent despite it being noted to be "large for her body".

My biggest disappointed and upset was this;

"Submitting the brain may have given us more information regarding Kallari's neurologic status, but we could not do that and preserve her skeleton as you requested."

I wish they told me this. I did request to take care of her skeleton IF POSSIBLE, because I wanted her body back to have her skeleton preserved. They could have atleast informed me that meant restrictions and skipping out on the brain being submitted all together.

If I was told this from the beginning, I would have told them it was fine to do so because knowing the truth and what happened to Kallari was a higher priority.

They just assumed and didn't even ask, just told me after the fact. Even when I got her body back I wasnt told this.

Very disappointed and upset. Never going to that exotic vet ever again.

In regards to Tapioca, since Kallari's digestive organs were fine, is it safe to assume Tapioca's green urate is unrelated? When I mentioned I had another snake they only said to watch for any "neurological signs."

With this new info, should I still have Tapioca seen (by a different exotic vet) or wait since I don't have any feces/urate samples to give right now. (The green one was stupidly lost)

My husband thinks I should hold off taking Tapioca to the vet until he passes his next urate or feces to see if it's green again.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MissterDog; 02-13-2020 at 07:13 AM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: HELP! Green urate!

Preserving your pets skeleton? Dark stuff--I like it!

As for necropsy results: There is a wide variety of skill levels between necropsy technicians. It is good to know what they think, but, unless there is something obvious...I wouldn't risk the health of another pet on their results.

Bringing the snake to the Vet without a sample may not be productive unless there is something that can be spotted/palpated. If there is nothing obviously wrong with the snake I personally would check all of my heating elements to make sure they are functioning properly and wait for the next sample with fingers crossed that it comes out 'normal'. If you get another weird excretion: I recommend you refrigerate (don't freeze the sample) and make an appointment.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-13-2020),MissterDog (02-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post

As for necropsy results: There is a wide variety of skill levels between necropsy technicians. It is good to know what they think, but, unless there is something obvious...I wouldn't risk the health of another pet on their results.

Bringing the snake to the Vet without a sample may not be productive unless there is something that can be spotted/palpated. If there is nothing obviously wrong with the snake I personally would check all of my heating elements to make sure they are functioning properly and wait for the next sample with fingers crossed that it comes out 'normal'. If you get another weird excretion: I recommend you refrigerate (don't freeze the sample) and make an appointment.
    Thank you for your thoughts!

Yeah, Kallari's goodbye was tragic but I want her memory to be beautiful. She was very dear to me, and I feel having her bones preserved would in a way, have her reborn and be at peace.

I'm beyond furstrated at this vet and will not risk going back to them again! It also rubbed me the wrong way I never got a single "sorry for your loss." Or any sympathetic attitude. Just make notes, ask what services I wanted and accepted payment. For record keeping the receptionist asked Kallari's name but when I handed her body the receptionist just said 'Okay I will take your snake now".

Yet, she referred to other people's exotic pets (parrots, and a bearded dragon) by their name when they saw her.

It's just added insult to the injury :/
    Last edited by MissterDog; 02-13-2020 at 08:15 AM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Ha! I thought the same thing!!! I think it's a really cool idea and preserved would make a really cool tribute.

As for what to do regarding a vet visit...
    I think I would be inclined to err on the side of caution, but like mentioned above without a sample it's probably worth waiting.
    I will defer to those more experienced with illness and vets though, as my experience there is limited to research and no first hand experience regarding illness and vets.

Best of luck. You're in my thoughts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (02-13-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12