Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 480

6 members and 474 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 67,144
Threads: 241,772
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, zackbalbin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My first ball python!

Hey guys! I bought my first ball python a week ago at petco. I did research quite a bit before I got her, but have been doing tons of research since I got her. I put her cage in the corner of my bedroom, and covered the back and sides with cardboard, I can also open a closet door to cover the front to offer more privacy if Iíd like.. I have a UTH on the left side with a thermostat set to 92. I also have one of those nocturnal red light bulbs. (which I tried to replace with a 100w ceramic heating lamp yesterday, but it wasnít getting the ambient temperature high enough, so I ordered a 150w ceramic heat lamp, which will arrive at my House tommorrow, and I will replace the red light.) the lamp is also on a thermostat set to 90 degrees. I covered the top of the screen with tin tape, the kind you use on vents, like on the back of a dryer. For the substrate I used eco earth, and forest floor cypress mulch.

Thanks

Re: My first ball python!

Thanks
    Sorry I wanted to put everything on one post, but my fingers and my screen aren’t working together very well. But also I’ve tried to feed her twice, with no success, but I’ve been working on the tank a lot over the week, and haven’t really given her a week of 100% peace. But after I put the ceramic heat lamp on the tank, that’s exactly what I’m going to do. I will only get in the tank to change the water, and maybe occasionally spray some water. Oh, and also I’ve been trying to keep the humidity around at least 50-60. But I usually have to spray a couple times a day to achieve that.

but one of my concerns is about her weight. She looks really skinny to me, am I right, or am I worrying a too much? Also she hasn’t struck at me once the few times I’ve picked her up, I think she hissed at me once, but that’s it. Could that be a sign somethings wrong? Is she supposed to be more defensive?
    Last edited by Rpelfrey; 02-09-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    By the way her name is Daisy

Thanks
    UPDATE. I got my CHE in the mail, and just put it on the tank, I also got a infrared heat thermometer to check everything more accurately, and a scale to weigh her after sheís had a while to relax more. Because of the tanks placement to the window, I put a small hole/flap in the cardboard on the side to let in some daylight, just to help her with the day/night cycle.

If she doesnít eat the next time I offer her some food, I will do the small tub method Iíve seen on here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

anyways hereís a new picture of the tank. Sheís currently hiding somewhere inside the tank, I didnít want to disturb her to find out, but last time I saw she was poking her head out of her warm side hide, the tree stump.

Registered User Serpentine_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks

She looks lovely! I just recently got a pastel lesser ball python (January)! I'm sure you will take good care of Daisy, and I did the same thing: research for a long while and then once I got him I was like freaking out so I have been doing some more research.

Thanks
    You can try mixing some sphagnum moss in with the substrate to stabilize humidity, or just put some sphag moss in a low, wide bowl and keep it moist.

I wonder whether your snake is feeling secure enough to eat - they like hides that touch their back and sides, so you might offer her something that can do that, and perhaps add a little more clutter to the tank. Then give her several days of peace and quiet before offering food.

This stickied post by Deborah still comprises the best advice I've found about how to persuade a reluctant youngster to eat: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101
    1.0 BEL Ball Python 'Sugar'
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    0.1 Children's Python 'Miso'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    You can try mixing some sphagnum moss in with the substrate to stabilize humidity, or just put some sphag moss in a low, wide bowl and keep it moist.

I wonder whether your snake is feeling secure enough to eat - they like hides that touch their back and sides, so you might offer her something that can do that, and perhaps add a little more clutter to the tank. Then give her several days of peace and quiet before offering food.

This stickied post by Deborah still comprises the best advice I've found about how to persuade a reluctant youngster to eat: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101
    I forgot to mention that I already had spaghnum moss in the tank, do you have to keep taking it out and resetting it? It seems to dry out, and then the humidity returns to ~40 in a couple days. It might not evaporate as much now that I have a CHE Instead if the red lamp though, and maybe I was messing with the tank too much, opening the lid and letting the humidity out?. I also cut a cardboard box that the red bulb came in in half, and cut an opening in it, and then glued them secure making 2 small hides. They seem big enough for her to barely just fit in. Would it be hard for her to get in, and move her body around to get comfortable though?

and I want to try frozen thawed rats, and a live rodent first, but if those donít work, I will happily go by deborahs advice.

Thanks
    Those small cardboard hides were meant to be temporary, to see if she wanted somewhere a smaller, but sheís done nothing more than stuck her head in them and leave, and is just chilling in her tree stump when she wants to be on the warm side. The cold side hide is one of those wood half logs, but it broke in half, so I leaned it on the glass, and secured it with substrate. And put it in the corner where the outside of the cage is covered, so itís one way in and one way out, and a very tight space, and also the coldest spot in the cage. She goes under there when she wants to cool off, but she spends most of her time in the tree stump on the warm side. She does tend to stay in the front side of the tree stump, where I canít peek in and see her.

Thanks

Although this doesnít seem reassuring, I recently got my first bp a month ago and I worried day and night nonstop because she wouldnít eat + other diseases I were scared of. However, after maybe 6 times of failure, she had a great feeding response for the first time last week and even bit me, thinking I was food (I had only seen her calm and docile, so her biting me made me happy and surprised, meaning she was hungry) I think itís best to be patient and do the absolute best you can husbandry wise but after a few weeks as she calms down and becomes more comfortable, she should eat fine in no time. Remember ball pythons arenít like humans, so patience and perfection is key. The most you can do is the most you can do! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast