Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,759

0 members and 2,759 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Titantheballpython's Avatar
    Thanks

Ideas on tank enrichment items

I recently upgraded two tanks for my ball pythons that are larger than there previous enclosures in tubs. There is a lot of extra space any ideas on what I could possibly add to the tanks.

Also the breeder I got my older python from said hes never had a hide in his enclosure. Despite what he said I bought him a hide. Should I buy a second hide for the cool side of the tank? He usually just leaves his hide if he is to warm. My younger ball python has two hides.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Ideas on tank enrichment items

Quote Originally Posted by Titantheballpython View Post
    I recently upgraded two tanks for my ball pythons that are larger than there previous enclosures in tubs. There is a lot of extra space any ideas on what I could possibly add to the tanks.

Also the breeder I got my older python from said hes never had a hide in his enclosure. Despite what he said I bought him a hide. Should I buy a second hide for the cool side of the tank? He usually just leaves his hide if he is to warm. My younger ball python has two hides.
    The breeder likely had him in a rack. Since racks are already fairly snug and dark a hide is always needed.

But yes, you want to offer at least two.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Titantheballpython (02-08-2020)

Registered User Titantheballpython's Avatar
    Thanks

Also any picture of any of your tanks would be great just so I can get some ideas of how to place things in mine. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Hides for sure: one un-heated, one on the warm side, and also a "humid hide" is appreciated (somewhere between the warm & cool ones, filled with damp moss-
    & you want an enclosed bottom for this or the damp moss will dampen the other substrate as well, so cutting a doorway in the top of a clean food container with
    a snap on lid works great for a humid hide- re-dampen the moss periodically when it dries out.)

Snakes enjoy driftwood or tunnels of various kinds- just make sure to plug (permanently) any holes they might get stuck in (as they grow, or after eating, etc).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (02-09-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-08-2020),Titantheballpython (02-08-2020),vivi (04-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Just adding that I've noticed that every one of my snakes (except the GTP) seems to really enjoy having pieces of cork to climb on/around, and much love for cork hides. I've gotten to the point where I'd provide at least one cork hide for each of them if I could find the right array of sizes.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Ideas on tank enrichment items

Quote Originally Posted by Titantheballpython View Post

You just can’t go wrong with putting branches in there ( the more the merrier) ..they enhance the general appearance and every snake will enjoy climbing through them .
    Imagine being trapped in a rectangular cell with a bed and a glass of water

I get all my branches from local woods and parks - just after strong winds is a great time to go looking .
    I then cut and ‘jam’ them into place and secure with hot glue which is very strong and durable BUT can be cut and pulled away by YOU and not the snake .

Another nice touch is to attach loads of fake foliage to the branches using zip-ties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-09-2020 at 08:29 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2020),Titantheballpython (02-09-2020)

Registered User Serpentine_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hides for sure: one un-heated, one on the warm side, and also a "humid hide" is appreciated (somewhere between the warm & cool ones, filled with damp moss-
    & you want an enclosed bottom for this or the damp moss will dampen the other substrate as well, so cutting a doorway in the top of a clean food container with
    a snap on lid works great for a humid hide- re-dampen the moss periodically when it dries out.)

Snakes enjoy driftwood or tunnels of various kinds- just make sure to plug (permanently) any holes they might get stuck in (as they grow, or after eating, etc).
    Could you please give a example on how you could plug up a tunnel, because I have a resin log that has holes and I am not sure how to close up the holes. I don't want my bp to get stuck...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpentine_Queen For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2020)

Thanks

I've used 100% silicone (like for aquariums) or hot glue. Either a bead/blob of it to block small holes, or I'll seal a rock in blocking bigger holes. Give it a day or two to cure before you put it back in the tank.
    Last edited by Meghenebk; 02-09-2020 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine_Queen View Post
    Could you please give a example on how you could plug up a tunnel, because I have a resin log that has holes and I am not sure how to close up the holes. I don't want my bp to get stuck...
    I've used aquarium silicone sealant too, & used it to glue a cork into a larger hole, for example. If the hole is in driftwood, you can also glue a bit of wood in the hole to match.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Registered User Serpentine_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've used aquarium silicone sealant too, & used it to glue a cork into a larger hole, for example. If the hole is in driftwood, you can also glue a bit of wood in the hole to match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghenebk View Post
    I've used 100% silicone (like for aquariums) or hot glue. Either a bead/blob of it to block small holes, or I'll seal a rock in blocking bigger holes. Give it a day or two to cure before you put it back in the tank.
    I bought 100% silicone for my aquarium last week! I didn't know what it could be used for... could you paint on it or would that create toxic fumes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast