Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,052

0 members and 2,052 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Mucus balls

Thanks

Mucus balls

Fed my 8 month old bp 2 days ago and he swallowed a chunk of reptichip in the process. I didn't see it happen,but I saw him out and about this afternoon. His mouth wide open with a big white glob of something in it. I scooped him up and he tail wrapped my arm and hung down. What was in his mouth dropped out. Reptichip heavily coated in mucus. I also found another bigger blob of mucus he must have gotten out earlier. Is this how they expel material? Is there any thing I should watch for? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Lucky he got that out ok (with your help). Snakes cannot cough, the mucus was just your snake's body trying to deal with an irritant. He's probably fine now, but
    for future reference, I'd feed him on a "plate" of some kind from now on, so he doesn't swallow substrate that he cannot digest. (it can get stuck in his intestines)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Mucus balls

Thank you for your suggestion and insight Ms. Tophis. I tried the plate trick and he struck and constricted on it but when he arranged it swallow it he of course moved it off the plate. A partial victory. Onward thru the fog...

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Re: Mucus balls

Quote Originally Posted by Zspook View Post
    Thank you for your suggestion and insight Ms. Tophis. I tried the plate trick and he struck and constricted on it but when he arranged it swallow it he of course moved it off the plate. A partial victory. Onward thru the fog...
    A box lid (like from a shoebox, that has a 1" "lip" on it) also qualifies as a "plate"...just saying. I've been feeding a countless # of snakes for many years, I'm well aware
    that snakes tend to move & thrash around when having dinner...sometimes you need to stand by with tongs to fix things while they're in the process...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)