Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,887

3 members and 2,884 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lights and BPs

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Can't speak for the effects (or lack thereof) of black or red lights on BPs, since I don't currently keep BPs, but have a number of other snakes, some of whom appear
    to love the nightly basking (they always have UTH too) under these "lights" (dimmed, of course). I've been using them for many years for snakes that like & use them,
    I see no issues whatsoever. Personally I'd ignore their hysteria, & avoid posting about whatever brings it on.

BTW, I know of no "official" research on the subject...only people's opinions. My snakes tend to live long healthy lives too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-06-2020 at 06:05 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (02-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-06-2020),O'Mathghamhna (02-10-2020),Sonny1318 (02-06-2020),SquirmyPug (02-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I personally have been using red or infrared light bulbs for close to twenty years easy. I can post pics and weights of my four boys. I doubt highly it has any negative effect on them whatsoever. That’s my two cents, a couple others seem to think like minded. Did notice Che’s zap humidity just as if not faster then a bulb. Peace.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (02-07-2020),Bogertophis (02-07-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-06-2020)

Thanks

Re: Lights and BPs

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    I personally have been using red or infrared light bulbs for close to twenty years easy. I can post pics and weights of my four boys. I doubt highly it has any negative effect on them whatsoever. That’s my two cents, a couple others seem to think like minded. Did notice Che’s zap humidity just as if not faster then a bulb. Peace.
    I agree. I also found CHE to get rid of humidity more than my red bulb does.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naginii For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2020),Sonny1318 (02-07-2020)

Thanks
    Yeah, I just got booted from that same Fb group for telling another member a red or blue bulb on a dimmer switch is perfectly fine... I understand if people choose not to use lights, but forcing that mentality on people when it may be perfectly harmless (and appears to be harmless for most experienced keepers who have no issues) is wrong to me. I have read the peer-reviewed scientific journal that specifically states UV/UVB lights are unnecessary for BPs, but I can't find a single article or scientific study saying simply that any light whatsoever causes them stress. Thanks everyone for weighing in!
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to O'Mathghamhna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-08-2020),Sonny1318 (02-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    Yeah, I just got booted from that same Fb group for telling another member a red or blue bulb on a dimmer switch is perfectly fine... I understand if people choose not to use lights, but forcing that mentality on people when it may be perfectly harmless (and appears to be harmless for most experienced keepers who have no issues) is wrong to me. I have read the peer-reviewed scientific journal that specifically states UV/UVB lights are unnecessary for BPs, but I can't find a single article or scientific study saying simply that any light whatsoever causes them stress. Thanks everyone for weighing in!
    Getting booted is pretty rude, but it sounds like you got the better end of that deal...you're free of them. I sure wouldn't let it keep me awake nights.

And by the way, one of the kinds of snakes I keep that LOVE basking under dimmed black lights are my Trans Pecos rat snakes. They are nocturnal hunters in
    the wild, & most of the time there'd be some moon-light, so I don't understand the big deal at all. They have options (hides with no heat or heated with UTH)
    yet they prefer to sleep in their baskets that are wired to branches & right under the dimmed black lights. Clearly not "disturbed" by this & BPs are similar in that they too are nocturnal hunters. My Australian spotted python is also a black or red bulb fan...she prefers to bask on her driftwood+ over her UTH heated hide also. My adult Florida rat snakes also like to bask. So to that FB group, lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-08-2020 at 06:41 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (02-10-2020)

Thanks

Yeah, no real love lost re: getting kicked out of the group. The other group I'm a member of actually has a "rule" that you aren't allowed to refer to your snake as a "noodle" because "it's stupid and we are tired of hearing it."

I always defer to this place. Not only is there vast knowledge and experience here, it is almost always delivered compassionately and constructively. <3
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to O'Mathghamhna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2020),Mike Beaulieu (02-10-2020)

Thanks

I've been keeping critters for decades. The subject of lighting and the myths continue.

Aside from uncontrolled heating elements of any type, the only thing to be concerned about is if the animal can see a particular wavelength of light. I don't believe BPs have spectral sensitivity into the red, at least not to any significant amount if memory serves.

I've used the moonlight bulbs for eons with no problem. They simulate a nice blue hue that one sees at night in the wild.

People are stupid, and FB is full of junk.

People that own exotics especially seem to think these animals will fall apart at the slightest incident, not true.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to viper69 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2020)

Thanks

I dont use any lights other than the natural light of the room. He has a good sense of when its day and night just with that so I think hes good with just that.

Thanks
    The fact there is debate on this subject shows you how stupid people are. They are probably the same people buying tons of toilet paper for a virus that does NOT cause a human to poop abnormally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viper69 View Post
    I've been keeping critters for decades. The subject of lighting and the myths continue.

Aside from uncontrolled heating elements of any type, the only thing to be concerned about is if the animal can see a particular wavelength of light. I don't believe BPs have spectral sensitivity into the red, at least not to any significant amount if memory serves.

I've used the moonlight bulbs for eons with no problem. They simulate a nice blue hue that one sees at night in the wild.

People are stupid, and FB is full of junk.

People that own exotics especially seem to think these animals will fall apart at the slightest incident, not true.

I couldn't agree more. I love moonlight bulbs, they are perfect for so many types of critters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast