Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

0 members and 2,840 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

After my ball python escaped...

My ball python escaped the other night because I didnt secure the lid correctly. I found my little man in a trash bag, he was cold but not injured thankfully. Ever since then he is constantly trying to escape. I can hear him all night long bumping the lid or moving his hide box. Hes 7 months old, will he ever stop this behavior? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: After my ball python escaped...

I take him out of the tank for an hour or so every day and he didnt behave like this then. I made 6 or 7 home made hides and I would place them on the bed. I made a barrier out of the blankets so he couldn't easily fall off and I let him explore. My wife said I lost my mind lol but even after doing this, he never tried to escape. This is my 2nd ever ball python and my first one I had was over 15 years ago. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    I think we need to know more about your husbandry. Are you able to post a photo of his current setup? Mine is never on the move unless shedding or pooping/peeing, but it took some time to get her husbandry just right.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to O'Mathghamhna For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-06-2020),Damien79 (02-06-2020)

Thanks

I will post some pics this evening when I get home from work. The set is basic at the moment. I have a warm side and a cool side, a hide on the cool side and his favorite plant on the warm side. I'm using the brown carpet like stuff that Petco sales, water bowl and that's about it.
    Thank you for your reply.

Thanks
    Post exact temps on each side as well as how you are measuring them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-06-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damien79 View Post
    I will post some pics this evening when I get home from work. The set is basic at the moment. I have a warm side and a cool side, a hide on the cool side and his favorite plant on the warm side. I'm using the brown carpet like stuff that Petco sales, water bowl and that's about it.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Agreed, we'll need to know more about temps and how you're measuring temps.

Also, you should have at least two hides, one on each end, so the snake can hide and thermoregulate as needed.

He's likely trying to find somewhere to hide that also suits his temperature requirements.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I agree with the others, we need exact husbandry info (temps. etc), because his "wanderlust" could be several things...dissatisfaction with his current set-up, but also
    snakes DO learn their way around, & in my experience, when they find a way to escape, they do remember that & keep trying. Hopefully, if you get his home more to
    his liking, he'll forget in time & settle down. Restlessness can also be hunger-related, or in mature snakes, related to breeding desire. So help us to help you...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Sorry I've been away from the forum. I feed him that evening and the behavior I mentioned stopped
    I guess he was just letting me know he needed food. I feed him twice a week and it had been 4 days since his last meal. I use one of the double thermometer/humidity gauges. Usually stays around 80 and the humidity is low in the morning but I fix that when I wake up. He seems fine now. Thank you to everyone who replied back to my post.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damien79 View Post
    Sorry I've been away from the forum. I feed him that evening and the behavior I mentioned stopped
    I guess he was just letting me know he needed food. I feed him twice a week and it had been 4 days since his last meal. I use one of the double thermometer/humidity gauges. Usually stays around 80 and the humidity is low in the morning but I fix that when I wake up. He seems fine now. Thank you to everyone who replied back to my post.
    Feeding twice a week!? You must be feeding prey that's on the small side for him, & anything more appropriately-sized would risk a regurgitation (which is to be avoided,
    as it can truly harm a snake). Best to feed not more often than once every 6-7 days to allow adequate digestion, & go longer when the prey size increases. Most captive
    snakes are OVER-fed...consider they eat far more often than the typical wild snakes whose meals are not reliably-scheduled. You mentioned he's 7 mos. old, so here's a reliable chart, once you have gotten his accurate weight.

Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-08-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-08-2020),Danger (02-08-2020)

Thanks
    I'm feeding him hopper mice which I do think is on the small size. When I go through the rest of what I have I'm going to move up a size. I think 4 hoppers left. I need to weigh him soon so I feed him correctly. Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by Damien79; 02-08-2020 at 05:51 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Damien79 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-08-2020)