Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,814

1 members and 2,813 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: The dreaded anthropomorphism topic....

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I've got no issue whatsoever with things like putting hats or sweaters on snakes. Not my thing, but it causes the animal no harm, so for those who enjoy it have fun, I'll probably even "like" your pics if you share them./
    Wouldn't stress be considered harm? I'm not saying that costuming snakes is inherently stressful to them, but I can imagine it often would be.

1.0 Link, my Abbott Okeetee corn snake
    1.0 Pit, my Yellow-belly ball python
    1.1 Ramza and Midna, my kittens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blitzjg For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (02-13-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anthropomorphism is GOOD when people realize, that like us, animals can feel pain, discomfort, hunger, fear, and in many cases, joy or comfort. Caring about an animals well being and taking responsibility for that is good as is understanding that how we treat creatures that rely on is (and even children and adult friends and family) matters.
    I don't think I would call it anthropomorphism, but compassion and empathy which do not require one to attribute human characteristics/feelings to an animals to be expressed
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-12-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-12-2020),dr del (02-13-2020),wnateg (02-12-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzjg View Post
    Wouldn't stress be considered harm? I'm not saying that costuming snakes is inherently stressful to them, but I can imagine it often would be.
    I wouldn't think it causes any stress, especially for such docile species like BPs. But you raise a good point. But in my experience I can't imagine my BPs (or any of my snakes actually) displaying any signs of stress if I were dress them up (again, not my cup of tea).
    But with no hands on experience, I may be wrong. Just an educated guess based on my experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzjg View Post
    I think it would depend greatly on the snakes as individuals & how accustomed they are to handling. And as Craig said, most BPs in particular are quite laid back, and while I agree that stress is harmful, it's also very hard to measure in snakes. If you're going to avoid doing anything that stresses them, I assume you'd not buy them at all, just leave them to be wild, which is stress of a very different kind (surviving temperature extremes, going without food or water for long periods of time, & being preyed upon).

Personally I have no desire to dress any of my pets, other than my 2 older dogs that have short hair & happily wear coats when we take walks in cold weather, but we've had photos shared here by someone who takes very adorable pics with her posed BPs...I see no problem with that. The stress is mostly on the photographer, she said it takes a lot of effort to get it right (& make it look effortless), especially when the snakes keep toppling the props. It's basically a self-punishing pursuit...

One good way to quickly assess stress in snakes is whether or not they feed regularly & easily: I've kept many snakes for many years, and I'm not a "hands-off" type. I also assume that stress negatively affects their immune system. Of course, you can only confirm that after your snakes live long healthy lives as most of mine have & still do. In my opinion, it comes down to the snake owner having empathy (it takes practice to read snake's body language but it can be done) so as to keep and handle snakes in ways that they feel safe & never feel they have to bite to defend themselves. Keeping snakes for me is a study in patience, careful observations & gentle touch, and as such, it is very rewarding. I've cared for a number of wild caught and rescued snakes that eat well for me too...that's another clue that one is doing things the "right" way. As I often tell the new keepers, "eating is job one".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-12-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,964 Times in 1,130 Posts
    My opinion is that there is safe anthropomorphism and unsafe anthropomorphism.
    Example of safe: My snake has a stocking on Christmas and gets a species appropriate gift, such as substrate or a climbing opportunity!
    Unsafe: My snake ‘enjoys’ being out with me all day and out of the enclosure, he’s only in there at night/I take my snake to walmart with me so he doesn't get lonely

Its okay to treat pets like family, as long as you take their care, safety, and species into account.
    That being said, I believe putting little hats and costumes on snakes can be beneficial not to the individual snake per-say, but to snakes as pets/a hobby as a whole. The more people that see snakes as 'cute' and 'friendly', the more likely in the future the laws on keeping snakes will remain as they are, or get better for us. A quick photo-shoot with a small hat that can go viral, for a few minutes of very mild to no-stress, is for sure worth it. I do the little hats for my snakes, and have been told by 100+ people both in person and online that "I used to be afraid of snakes but your little snakes in hats helped me overcome my fear/phobia"

^^ This for example.
    Last edited by spazhime; 02-12-2020 at 09:22 PM.
    i-m-snek on tumblr
    Spazhime on reddit
    Hardy Reptiles on facebook

The one and only

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazhime For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-12-2020),dr del (02-13-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spazhime View Post
    My opinion is that there is safe anthropomorphism and unsafe anthropomorphism.
    Example of safe: My snake has a stocking on Christmas and gets a species appropriate gift, such as substrate or a climbing opportunity!
    Unsafe: My snake ‘enjoys’ being out with me all day and out of the enclosure, he’s only in there at night/I take my snake to walmart with me so he doesn't get lonely

Its okay to treat pets like family, as long as you take their care, safety, and species into account.
    Very well said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12