Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,783

0 members and 2,783 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

The dreaded anthropomorphism topic....

The other day I got an email with a link to a great article I thought was worth sharing. Many of you know I can be a bit outspoken when it comes to anthropomorphism, but the bottom line is as keepers it's our responsibility to put the animals needs first.
    I really like how this article breaks down anthropomorphism into three categories. And I found it important that the article mentioned how quickly "neutral" can turn into "negative" anthropomorphism.

I've got no issue whatsoever with things like putting hats or sweaters on snakes. Not my thing, but it causes the animal no harm, so for those who enjoy it have fun, I'll probably even "like" your pics if you share them.

My issue is with those who put on blinders and then wonder why there snake isn't eating, or seems sick or lethargic. Those who take their snakes out on excursions or adventures, those who say "well he looked lonely so I took him out", those who ask for help and then disregard facts in favor of their personal emotions....

Anyway, it's a good read worth checking out.

https://www.reptifiles.com/reptile-a...ile-husbandry/

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Aerries (02-05-2020),Bodie (02-05-2020),Bogertophis (02-05-2020),cletus (02-05-2020),dakski (02-06-2020),jmcrook (02-05-2020),Kira (02-07-2020),MarkL1561 (02-06-2020),MissterDog (02-05-2020),richardhind1972 (02-05-2020),Toad37 (02-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    It used to bother me a lot but I ignore it these days. I just take extended breaks from the forums. lol The one thing that does make me crazy though is when I see people carrying around their snakes outside in cold weather. I saw a guy with 2 large boas on full display at the Riverwalk in San Antonio during Christmas time. Granted we don't have "cold" winters, but it was still in the 50s. If that was you and you frequent this forum and are reading this, shame on you for trying to be cool at the expense of your animals. If you just don't know any better, get educated.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-05-2020),Bogertophis (02-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-05-2020),dakski (02-06-2020),jmcrook (02-05-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Re: The dreaded anthropomorphism topic....

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    It used to bother me a lot but I ignore it these days. I just take extended breaks from the forums. lol The one thing that does make me crazy though is when I see people carrying around their snakes outside in cold weather. I saw a guy with 2 large boas on full display at the Riverwalk in San Antonio during Christmas time. Granted we don't have "cold" winters, but it was still in the 50s. If that was you and you frequent this forum and are reading this, shame on you for trying to be cool at the expense of your animals. If you just don't know any better, get educated.
    I've definitely taken a step back. I was letting other people rent space in my head and realized I've got to step back. I can't fix stupid. And I can't help that sometimes good advice falls on deaf ears.
    Deborah often shares a saying I've been using for years as well "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink". So true....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

cletus (02-05-2020),dakski (02-06-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have always been saying that human emotions when it comes to reptiles are the worse, it works against the animal when a problem arise and it always does you cannot reason to the person, it's like speaking 2 different language.

Worse is a lot of people do not realize that they are doing it.

Emotions are obviously stronger than reason in those cases.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

cletus (02-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-05-2020),jmcrook (02-05-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    I have always been saying that human emotions when it comes to reptiles are the worse, it works against the animal when a problem arise and it always does you cannot reason to the person, it's like speaking 2 different language.

Worse is a lot of people do not realize that they are doing it.

Emotions are obviously stronger than reason in those cases.
    Yeah, it took me a while to realize some people just don't understand. No matter how many facts you drop in their lap they're just not gonna get it.

Thanks

The problem with stigmatizing anthropomorphism is that some people who pride themselves on their “advanced” understanding of reptiles use it as an argument to unconsciously obstruct progress in the industry. Does any of this sound familiar?

“Reptiles don’t care about how much space they have as long as they can move around a bit, thermoregulate, and have enough to eat.”

“Reptiles don’t have emotions.”

“They’re just reptiles – they don’t care what you put in their viv.”

And so instead of helping, ignorant cries of “anthropomorphism!” — much like “witchcraft!” — can obstruct any improvement in our understanding of reptiles and their husbandry. We are so afraid of being accused of anthropomorphism in our various forums and communities that we have reduced these beings to stupid animals that don’t think and don’t need anything but the bare necessities of survival. This has justified harmful practices such as surgery without postoperative pain medication in the past, and minimalist keeping in the modern day.

I think we hear a whole lot of the above passage on this forum. Repeatedly and often rudely!

I think this was a great article and I hope a lot of people on here read it. I especially like the parts about creating better more enriching enclosures for our reptiles. Enclosures that at least attempt to mimic the animals natural habitat.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Snakemom85 For This Useful Post:

Absololol (02-05-2020),Bogertophis (02-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-05-2020),dakski (02-06-2020),lew-e (02-13-2020),MarkL1561 (02-06-2020),OkamiFlautist (02-05-2020),Toad37 (02-05-2020)

Thanks
    Emotions and pets are a delicate balance - I hated dealing with two types of owners as a vet assistant. The ones who were too emotional - (making decisions for their benefit and not the animal to prolong life to its detriment, or willing to bankrupt themselves and their children to add maybe a miserable year to a pet's life) - and the ones who were not emotional enough - (which led to not caring if the animal was in a bad situation until it was far too late to fix).

If a little anthropomorphism gets people to care about their pets welfare, great. If too much of it leads to ignoring the animal's needs, that needs correcting.

Kids hug cats because they don't know any better - they love hugs, so of course cats must too. Fortunately most kids outgrow that self centered viewpoint and learn better - realize that cats are not human. Usually after a sharp lesson or three. But I still got grown adults who claimed their cat was "mean" or "dangerous" because it scratched a toddler who grabbed it up off the floor and squeezed.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meghenebk For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-05-2020),dakski (02-06-2020),Toad37 (02-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meghenebk View Post
    Emotions and pets are a delicate balance - I hated dealing with two types of owners as a vet assistant. The ones who were too emotional - (making decisions for their benefit and not the animal to prolong life to its detriment, or willing to bankrupt themselves and their children to add maybe a miserable year to a pet's life) - and the ones who were not emotional enough - (which led to not caring if the animal was in a bad situation until it was far too late to fix).

If a little anthropomorphism gets people to care about their pets welfare, great. If too much of it leads to ignoring the animal's needs, that needs correcting.

Kids hug cats because they don't know any better - they love hugs, so of course cats must too. Fortunately most kids outgrow that self centered viewpoint and learn better - realize that cats are not human. Usually after a sharp lesson or three. But I still got grown adults who claimed their cat was "mean" or "dangerous" because it scratched a toddler who grabbed it up off the floor and squeezed.
    Not to get too far off of herps, but this applies to dogs as well. As an owner of a dog who doesnt really care for being touched by strangers, it gets frustrating for parents to just let their kids manhandle other people's dogs and get all huffy when that dog acts like dogs do when they are stand-by growling.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quick thoughts and thank you Craig for posting. I saw this idea as part of another article by the same person, I think, but it was late a few nights ago and might have been that I read two articles.........................

Anyway.

Anthropomorphism is BAD when we people put their emotions and feelings onto their pets, of any kind, and assume they think like us OR that emotions rule and logic and scientific knowledge doesn't apply, or we put ourselves first and not the animal we are caring for.

Anthropomorphism is GOOD when people realize, that like us, animals can feel pain, discomfort, hunger, fear, and in many cases, joy or comfort. Caring about an animals well being and taking responsibility for that is good as is understanding that how we treat creatures that rely on is (and even children and adult friends and family) matters.

I think big people care for those that need caring, not neglect them or hurt them.

Don't forget the Golden Rule for the sake of being a good human being, not for reciprocities sake.

Not to say we don't get much from our animals in return, but it isn't exactly Quid Pro Quo. My dogs have yet to buy or cook me dinner, for example . Although they have brought me treasures from the back yard, so maybe they are trying, I just don't want them.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-06-2020 at 06:00 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-06-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Quick thoughts and thank you Craig for posting. I saw this idea as part of another article by the same person, I think, but it was late a few nights ago and might have been that I read two articles.........................

Anyway.

Anthropomorphism is BAD when we people put their emotions and feelings onto their pets, of any kind, and assume they think like us OR that emotions rule and logic and scientific knowledge doesn't apply, or we put ourselves first and not the animal we are caring for.

Anthropomorphism is GOOD when people realize, that like us, animals can feel pain, discomfort, hunger, fear, and in many cases, joy or comfort. Caring about an animals well being and taking responsibility for that is good as is understanding that how we treat creatures that rely on is (and even children and adult friends and family) matters.

I think big people care for those that need caring, not neglect them or hurt them.

Don't forget the Golden Rule for the sake of being a good human being, not for reciprocities sake.

Not to say we don't get much from our animals in return, but it isn't exactly Quid Pro Quo. My dogs have yet to buy or cook me dinner, for example . Although they have brought me treasures from the back yard, so maybe they are trying, I just don't want them.
    Great reply Dave. Thanks for sharing your insight. The only gifts we get from our pets is the occasional mouse...Our cat, Nala will catch one a few times a year and will bring it onto the bed, still alive, then drop it as if to say "look what I brought you!!!!" Ugggggh....

There's no denying we ALL anthropomorphize...from the moment we give our snakes names. We all know they're aren't going to hear us, nevermind respond or obey commands. I'm sure most of us, myself included, talk to our snakes on some level. I do all the time. Whether chilling with a snake in my lap and telling them "you're a good boy/girl" or if they're roaming a bit too far i may say "hey, where do you think you're going?"

That being said, I take pride in putting my animals needs ahead of mine. My thought process is simple. When I bring an animal home, that animal doesn't get a choice. I do. That animal relies 100% on me to not only keep it alive, but to thrive. My choice. So I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure that animal has a long, healthy life in my care. I owe it to that animal.

Of course there are times I wish the snakes could be more "interested" or "interactive". Sure it might be fun to take the snakes along for a walk on a nice summer night...
    But....they simply aren't built that way. Therefore, I put their needs ahead of mine and care for them accordingly.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-12-2020),dakski (02-06-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast