Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,126

1 members and 3,125 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: New to breeding

Thanks

New to breeding

This is my first year breeding snakes, ive got a life time of breeding everything from chickens to dairy cattle but snakes is new an im excited to start this year i have picked up some young males to raise and 2 breeding females one for next year but i started with my banana enchi and spider to get into it right away wasnt cheap to jump in this fast. So i started pairing my male an female in Oct and was pairing them atleast once a month until last month as i was unsure if my male had a RI thats another topic but the female went off food awhile ago an the male went off almost right away. They locked every time visually saw it. I dont have any way of taking an ultra sound how can i tell if shes building i mean she looks thick for eating for a month or two and when i am putting her back i let her slither back into the rack and feel her belly as she does and the last 1/3 of her feels like there may be some lumps like eggs but i cant tell for sure, ive watch video lots of them but size can be hard to judge on a screen so im not sure if she is build like ones in the video for a bit she was near the cool side and stretched out an around the water dish some but now shes on the hot spot and shes going into shed could i have just missed the ovulation and this be the pre lay shed? when i bought her the breeder said she tried pairing her with a pied but never saw a lock so im wondering if maybe that triggered her into the building of folices and as soon as i started pairing she was ready for him like i said i started in Oct and paired 1-2 times a moth up til beginning of Dec.

Thanks
    Difficult to say without any pictures. My best advice would just be patient and wait to see. Keep track of this shed just in case it is a pre lay shed. DO you have an incubator set up already? If not it might be time to look into that, just in case!

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: New to breeding

Quote Originally Posted by miller17015 View Post
    This is my first year breeding snakes, ive got a life time of breeding everything from chickens to dairy cattle but snakes is new an im excited to start this year i have picked up some young males to raise and 2 breeding females one for next year but i started with my banana enchi and spider to get into it right away wasnt cheap to jump in this fast. So i started pairing my male an female in Oct and was pairing them atleast once a month until last month as i was unsure if my male had a RI thats another topic but the female went off food awhile ago an the male went off almost right away. They locked every time visually saw it. I dont have any way of taking an ultra sound how can i tell if shes building i mean she looks thick for eating for a month or two and when i am putting her back i let her slither back into the rack and feel her belly as she does and the last 1/3 of her feels like there may be some lumps like eggs but i cant tell for sure, ive watch video lots of them but size can be hard to judge on a screen so im not sure if she is build like ones in the video for a bit she was near the cool side and stretched out an around the water dish some but now shes on the hot spot and shes going into shed could i have just missed the ovulation and this be the pre lay shed? when i bought her the breeder said she tried pairing her with a pied but never saw a lock so im wondering if maybe that triggered her into the building of folices and as soon as i started pairing she was ready for him like i said i started in Oct and paired 1-2 times a moth up til beginning of Dec.
    Here are a couple guides I used when I started breeding, they were very helpful.
    https://ballpython.ca/breeding/

And believe me its hard to miss an ovulation, they look like they ate a big meal even though they haven't eaten in a while.

A sign that they are building their follicles is being on the cool side of the cage almost constantly or even bowl wrapping. When they are done building and ovulate they will spend all their time on the warm side of the cage. The guide I provided in the link talks more about this too.

Keep track of this shed cycle, she may lay about 30 days after if its her prelay shed. Make sure you got an incubator up and running too.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk