Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

3 members and 2,905 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

I've been saying this for a long time.

Reticulated pythons are semi arboreal and more arboreal than a lot of other semi arboreal snakes.

I have also stated that MOST snakes in captivity are over fed.

I'm glad to see that some folks that actually visit the natural habitat of the species concur with what I have found out through my own research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSIfov45U5o

80% of the time my retic is perched.

If I had the space I would provide an even larger setup for this guy.

Retics are supposed to be lean and active.

I actually don't recommend them as pets for the most part. The SD version is a good option but once you get into the larger sizes you have provide for them.

The video link has great info and DM Exotics has the same or slightly different version of this on the TUBE as well.

Give the retics some ceiling!!
    Last edited by Gio; 02-02-2020 at 09:21 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

aurum (02-02-2020),Bogertophis (02-02-2020),Caitlin (03-01-2020),CALM Pythons (02-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-03-2020),EL-Ziggy (02-03-2020),jmcrook (02-02-2020),Reinz (02-03-2020),richardhind1972 (02-03-2020),Starscream (02-03-2020),Team Slytherin (02-06-2020),WhompingWillow (02-03-2020),wnateg (02-03-2020),WrongPython (02-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    That's an excellent video...I truly hope anyone considering keeping one of these (or anyone who already is) will incorporate all the suggestions he made. I find it
    really sad to see ppl who cannot resist buying such a snake & are then unable to provide an optimal enclosure of the size & height recommended, also with a serious
    water feature. I guess this is why I think most of these beautiful captive giants belong in a zoo where they can be afforded a room-size habitat...I know some keepers
    can manage this kind of set-up, but not most. Nice to see some really lean retics too, the way they should be.

Retics aren't the only snakes that dig being in the trees, & if retics are too big for you, or impractical for your budget, how about a nice rat snake? One that gets
    about 6-7' (or even 9-10') is much easier to provide for & manage, & a good many rat snakes love the tree branches too. Arboreal snakes are fun to watch.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-03-2020),Reinz (02-03-2020),richardhind1972 (02-03-2020),Starscream (02-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: I've been saying this for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Reticulated pythons are semi arboreal and more arboreal than a lot of other semi arboreal snakes.

I have also stated that MOST snakes in captivity are over fed.

I'm glad to see that some folks that actually visit the natural habitat of the species concur with what I have found out through my own research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSIfov45U5o

80% of the time my retic is perched.

If I had the space I would provide an even larger setup for this guy.

Retics are supposed to be lean and active.

I actually don't recommend them as pets for the most part. The SD version is a good option but once you get into the larger sizes you have provide for them.

The video link has great info and DM Exotics has the same or slightly different version of this on the TUBE as well.

Give the retics some ceiling!!
    I agree completely with this. Retics need space to roam and climb and swim. I think Carpets and Olives as well as burms fall into this as well.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-05-2020),Gio (02-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Wallace looks amazing Gio. Cool video too. It's great to see these animals in their natural habitat but try as we might we just can't replicate nature. While it would be great to have a 20x10x10 enclosure it's just not very practical for most people. My largest snakes should max out at 10-12 ft. when they're fully grown. I can only give them 8x2x2 or 6x2x4 enclosures. I don't think they're being mistreated but I'll admit I sometimes feel badly for keeping them confined to such a small space and have asked myself if it's selfish to do so even though most times they're just laying on a perch or shelf waiting for food. I do try to get them out for some exercise at least once a week and I recently had a 4x2x6 pvc jungle gym built so they can climb a bit more.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 02-03-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-03-2020),Gio (02-03-2020),GoingPostal (02-04-2020),Reinz (02-03-2020),wnateg (02-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Wallace looks amazing Gio. Cool video too. It's great to see these animals in their natural habitat but try as we might we just can't replicate nature. While it would be great to have a 20x10x10 enclosure it's just not very practical for most people. My largest snakes should max out at 10-12 ft. when they're fully grown. I can only give them 8x2x2 or 6x2x4 enclosures. I don't think they're being mistreated but I'll admit I sometimes feel badly for keeping them confined to such a small space and have asked myself if it's selfish to do so even though most times they're just laying on a perch or shelf waiting for food. I do try to get them out for some exercise at least once a week and I recently had a 4x2x6 pvc jungle gym built so they can climb a bit more.
    I agree Zig.

I'm at the max with Wallace. His water area is unfortunately not a swimming area and I just can't provide one. He's fairly topped off and likely between 8.5 to 10 feet. He uses his cage, every bit of it and does cruise through the water now and then.

They are very active when they are lean.

I like seeing videos like this. I often check for boa constrictor videos in the wild and find a lot of them show the boas in trees.

I'm really looking forward to reading Nick Mutton's new book. I'm sure the arboreal habits of carpets and scrubs will be mentioned in it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (02-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

I agree Zig.

I'm at the max with Wallace. His water area is unfortunately not a swimming area and I just can't provide one. He's fairly topped off and likely between 8.5 to 10 feet. He uses his cage, every bit of it and does cruise through the water now and then.

They are very active when they are lean.

I like seeing videos like this. I often check for boa constrictor videos in the wild and find a lot of them show the boas in trees.

I'm really looking forward to reading Nick Mutton's new book. I'm sure the arboreal habits of carpets and scrubs will be mentioned in it.
    My retic sits in the water constantly. I'm moving her into her 6x2x2, so I'll update whether or not that changes when she has more room to roam. Personally, I wonder if they like a smaller water section so they can soak in a coil and feel support on the sides? I mean rocks in a bigger water section would probably accomplish that too though.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

...I often check for boa constrictor videos in the wild and find a lot of them show the boas in trees...
    I'm not surprised by that either...what a great place to bask in semi-sunshine & catch birds. When I had a BCI & strolled my back yard with her, she always wanted to climb from my shoulders into my trees, but sadly I couldn't allow it, they're way too big. Climbing also affords them a chance to maintain & build healthy muscle tone.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-03-2020 at 07:04 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    My retic sits in the water constantly. I'm moving her into her 6x2x2, so I'll update whether or not that changes when she has more room to roam. Personally, I wonder if they like a smaller water section so they can soak in a coil and feel support on the sides? I mean rocks in a bigger water section would probably accomplish that too though.
    I work hard to make sure my retics can swim or climb. I am starting on a huge enclosure that will be 15 ft by 10 ft and 8 ft high (10 high walls in the house so will be 2 ft space between cage and roof). I will divide it between my 2 girls so that they can not interact. Will give large swimming area combined with climbing trees and basking rocks. I cant do zoo quality but going to get as close as I can. Hope they both are healthy for a long time.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-05-2020),GoingPostal (02-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I work hard to make sure my retics can swim or climb. I am starting on a huge enclosure that will be 15 ft by 10 ft and 8 ft high (10 high walls in the house so will be 2 ft space between cage and roof). I will divide it between my 2 girls so that they can not interact. Will give large swimming area combined with climbing trees and basking rocks. I cant do zoo quality but going to get as close as I can. Hope they both are healthy for a long time.
    That's huge. Cant wait to see it.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    That was a good video about retics, and Dav is pretty cool to hang out with.

I do agree that they really aren't for everyone and probably a large percentage of the ones in captivity are over fed and under exercised. My male is pretty active and normally gets 20-30 mins of free roam time each day. My female is pretty content on just perching and watching most of the time. They really are a species that requires a lot research, training, handling, and space.

I have to wonder if the reason they like being near water is because they enjoy water or is it since they are food motivated, the water draws in other animals which could potentially be eaten?
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast