Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,860

1 members and 2,859 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Wanted: Pig cuddlers!

I guess there's something for everyone? (Giant snakes need NOT apply...LOL)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/01/us/pi...rnd/index.html

An animal sanctuary is seeking volunteers to cuddle with their pigs

By Caroline Catherman and Christina Zdanowicz, CNN
    Updated 5:20 AM ET, Sat February 1, 2020

A volunteer gives a grateful pig a belly rub.

(CNN)A South Carolina animal sanctuary is asking for volunteers to cuddle their rescue pigs.

In December 2018, Cotton Branch Farm Animal Sanctuary rescued 225 abused and neglected pigs from a property in Kentucky, according to CNN affiliate WIS.
    Its goal is to place more than 100 of the pigs in households as pets. In the last year, 75 of the pigs have been adopted, the sanctuary told WIS.
    But some of the remaining pigs need to develop a better relationship with humans before they are ready for adoption.

"These pigs weren't socialized because they lived in such large numbers," said Joshua Carpenter Costner, the sanctuary's director of operations, "We noticed how quickly a lot of them were coming around when we spent time with them, and in order to find them homes, we thought it was a good idea to have people start coming out."
    Cotton Branch Farm Sanctuary@cottonbranch

Does loving-on sweet little faces like these seem like a good time? Then we have some GREAT news for you! We need piggy cuddlers!

Visit https://qoo.ly/344ivc to sign up!

Can't come visit? You can still make a difference in their http://Cottonbranch.org/give http://paypal.me/cottonbranch

7:02 PM - Jan 28, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

22 people are talking about this

The sanctuary decided to ask volunteers to prepare the pigs for domestic life by playing with them, feeding them treats and giving them belly rubs, according to a Facebook post.
    The adfor "piggy cuddlers" explains that "even just talking to our pig friends can get them ready for their new home."
    Volunteers all over the world are eager to help.
    "We actually had to create more time slots for socialization today because they were all filled for the next few months," Carpenter Costner told CNN on Friday.
    For those who may be skeptical about playing with pigs, Carpenter Costner's husband, the sanctuary's executive director Evan Costner, explained that he could relate.
    "My husband wanted a pig for Christmas. At first, I thought the idea was strange," Evan Costner wrote on the sanctuary's website. "When we brought Oliver home, things started to change. I began to notice that this animal was able to experience and express emotions like the dogs and cats I grew up with."
    If you have an interest in cuddling rescue pigs, you can sign up here.

Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-01-2020 at 03:14 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (02-01-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Wanted: Pig cuddlers!

We used to have. A couple of pot bellied growing up deidre and Cyril, as soon as they grunted my kids would run straight up the path back inside, lol

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I've never personally known any pigs, but for anyone thinking about adding one to the family, be sure you check local zoning laws where you live first...they're not
    allowed in many towns or cities for good reason...homes are closer together & they need to use the yard, but when they go, that smell is pervasive to the neighbors.

They're not allowed inside the town limits where I live, even though this is a rural area that has some farms. My next-door neighbors tried to get away with keeping
    a pig...that's how I know about the barnyard smell. Just one pig...at first I looked the other way, but it got much bigger & so did everything else, meaning the odor.

There was no hiding it anymore, & btw, they knew better from the start but they got away with it far longer than most people because of their "connections"- happily
    "Miss Piggy" now has a more suitable home on farm property. I don't miss that smell...even from the middle of my yard there was no mistaking it. I don't doubt they
    are smart & have personality...they even wag their tails when you talk to them. But not good for residential neighborhoods. If they could have potty trained her, like
    to use an indoor litter box, it could have worked, lol- because they kept her in the house virtually all the time except to go potty.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)