Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

2 members and 2,965 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Help getting tub temps higher

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    Idk if your opposed to using a CHE but i hang one over my tub enclosure to help bost air temps. I live in a very cold house at times and this helps keep things warm. You could also run a space heater in the room to help bost the over all air if you don't have central air/heat.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk
    I’m not opposed to a CHE, I just wasn’t sure if the heat would penetrate through the lid of the tub. We do have central air/heat, but don’t want the entire house to be 80 degrees...which would be uncomfortable, inefficient and expensive during the winter months. We also don’t have a spare room that we can heat separately, just to house the snake. With that said, I am tossing around the idea of concerting a closet to be a “reptile room”. However, there is no lighting or power in that closet, so I would have to run power to it, and there wouldn’t be a natural day/night lighting situation happening in there. I was thinking about putting some insulation around the outside of the bin, to see if that would help retain some warmth inside. I also have a second stat coming, with the idea that I could put another UTH on the other side, and have the temps over there set to the low 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aaron

1.0 Spider, Orange Dream, Yellow Belly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly76 View Post
    When you went back to tanks, how did you manage humidity levels? I had a BP in a tank in NJ, and really struggled with humidity levels. I ended up making my own fogging system out of a humidifier. I had to leave him there with a friend when I moved to MN. However, we are in the process of getting a new one.
    I live in NJ where the winters are cold as well. To keep my bp’s ambient temps around 80F I have 3 CHE’s running in thermostats in addition to the UTH. As you pointed out, this requires a more sophisticated humidity controlling system since the CHe’s dry out the air. I customized me enclosure with a reptile humidifier, a humidistat, some drilling, and some pvc plumbing hardware to make the humidity easy and accurate to control despite being a class enclosure and 3 Che’s running during the winter.

I have some pictures in my thread here... https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-new-enclosure

Registered User Bumblebee my snake's Avatar
    Thanks
    If You do switch over to a tank, or if you just use a mesh screen and use a heat lamp, i suggest using a ceramic heat lamp to heat up the air temps. They (from my experience) don't get as hot and don't have light. Ball pythons, being nocturnal, will probably silently thank you for not giving them extra light Also i use aspen snake bedding for my bps!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bumblebee my snake For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (02-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee my snake View Post
    If You do switch over to a tank, or if you just use a mesh screen and use a heat lamp, i suggest using a ceramic heat lamp to heat up the air temps. They (from my experience) don't get as hot and don't have light. Ball pythons, being nocturnal, will probably silently thank you for not giving them extra light Also i use aspen snake bedding for my bps!
    I already moved back to the tank, and took advantage of Petco’s $1 per gallon sale. I’m will get a CHE bulb to replace the red light that is currently installed. Isn’t aspen dryer, and therefore, harder to maintain humidity with?

Aaron

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan.Hiker View Post
    I live in NJ where the winters are cold as well. To keep my bp’s ambient temps around 80F I have 3 CHE’s running in thermostats in addition to the UTH. As you pointed out, this requires a more sophisticated humidity controlling system since the CHe’s dry out the air. I customized me enclosure with a reptile humidifier, a humidistat, some drilling, and some pvc plumbing hardware to make the humidity easy and accurate to control despite being a class enclosure and 3 Che’s running during the winter.

I have some pictures in my thread here... https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-new-enclosure
    I will look into the humidistat with humidifier setup, as I am back to messing with humidity in a tank. I will also continue to play around with the tub, as I realized the thermometer reading I was watching was the base unit outside the tub, rather than the probe reading inside the tub (had to hit a button to switch it over). Perhaps I will be able to get the tub going later, after spending some time getting everything set up...just need to wait a bit to purchase additional thermometers, as I have spent a lot, in a short amount of time, to get where I am now.

Aaron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12