Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,785

1 members and 2,784 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Ball python always willing to eat...?

So my ball python has been a great eater, missed two weeks when transitioning to rats but other than that always wants to eat... so I fed her last monday, then fed her yesterday so 5 days apart.. today I come home and she sees me and come out of her hide stretches out of her cave, I put my hand by the tank and she gets all excited tongue flicking and comes straight towards my hand.. shes roughly 300 grams and ive been feeding her 25-29 gram rats.. should I up the size a little or is she just an opportunistic eater? Not sure what to think.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=feeding+guide

Most snakes are always on the look-out for food, instinctively, because in the wild (where they rely on instincts) food isn't always available
    "on schedule", it's a matter of always being ready to grab it when the opportunity arises. This doesn't mean you should feed them every
    time they act like they want or need it. They're a bit like growing teenagers...always wanting to eat...but better to stick to the schedule
    & always allow at least 5-7 days to digest...& more as the prey is older (it's harder to digest). You don't want to risk a regurge by feeding
    before the last meal is digested.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-03-2020 at 12:37 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-03-2020)

Thanks

Re: Ball python always willing to eat...?

Yeah, I didn't plan to feed again and have always stuck to at least 5 days between.. just wondered were his meals not big enough, or do I just have a good eater who always thinks its time to eat.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mppeasle View Post
    Yeah, I didn't plan to feed again and have always stuck to at least 5 days between.. just wondered were his meals not big enough, or do I just have a good eater who always thinks its time to eat.

I’ve had some very poor eaters and some absolutely amazing eaters !!

Royal / Ball pythons are a law to themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-03-2020)

Thanks

I feed my BP once a week. He has never missed a meal and is now just under 400g. He comes flying out as soon as the hair dryer hits the rat. He switched back and forth between mice and rats no problem. He could care less what he is eating as long as he gets to eat. I was feeding live rat fuzzies, then switched him to ft mice when I could no longer do live and was having trouble finding small enough frozen rats locally. I few weeks ago I finally found a supply of appropriate sized frozen rats and he had no issues switching back. He is the best eater and I am so glad. I think your prey size is fine at the moment but might want to consider upping it a little bit after a few more feeding. Also I find it best to feed every 7 days, you don't want to over feed.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I'll just add that most BPs are good feeders when young...it's after they're a couple years old they often start getting fussy & take breaks from eating. Just do the best
    you can, & be glad while it lasts; don't over-feed- that's a disservice to their health. And don't be surprised if they do some fasting as adults...they may be thinking of
    "other things" so at that time, try to assure they're healthy (by ruling out other health issues)...in other words, "go with the flow".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (02-04-2020),lew-e (02-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'll just add that most BPs are good feeders when young...it's after they're a couple years old they often start getting fussy & take breaks from eating. Just do the best
    you can, & be glad while it lasts; don't over-feed- that's a disservice to their health. And don't be surprised if they do some fasting as adults...they may be thinking of
    "other things" so at that time, try to assure they're healthy (by ruling out other health issues)...in other words, "go with the flow".
    Isn’t there a ‘theory’ that they slow down on eating when they hit 1Kg ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro