Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,339

0 members and 1,339 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

BP finally ate!!

Got my Male Normal het pied BP two weeks ago and he was due a feed within the first week. He refused that. Wasn’t too worried as I know they can be fussy settling in to new homes. Got to this week and I started thinking, with the last time he was fed at the shop, plus the two weeks I’ve had him, it’ll be coming close to 4 weeks without a meal. But tonight finally, after trying twice over the past fortnight, he finally striked at the f/t mouse I dangled in there. I had to though, pierce a hole in the mouses skull which alerted my BP (called Ivar). He kept looking interested, then hiding his head back away as soon as the mouse got close. In the end, I literally had to pretty much annoy him by bopping this mouse constantly infront of him until he got that annoyed at it, he struck! Just glad he’s finally enjoying his first meal at home. Was slightly worried about my little fella!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    I'm glad you talked him into eating for you. I've had to use the "annoyance tactic" now & then, it can work, but isn't the preferred method long-term; however
    he's still very new to his new home with you, & feeding usually gets easier as snakes feel more settled in. Now you can relax some, & so can he.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: BP finally ate!!

Yes, to be honest I didn’t like ‘annoying’ him with it but I thought I’d mimic a scared mouse running around him in the hopes that struck at it. Finally can relax now knowing he’s having a nice snooze in his hide with a nice full tummy.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: BP finally ate!!

Quote Originally Posted by NebulaJam View Post
    Got my Male Normal het pied BP two weeks ago and he was due a feed within the first week. He refused that. Wasn’t too worried as I know they can be fussy settling in to new homes. Got to this week and I started thinking, with the last time he was fed at the shop, plus the two weeks I’ve had him, it’ll be coming close to 4 weeks without a meal. But tonight finally, after trying twice over the past fortnight, he finally striked at the f/t mouse I dangled in there. I had to though, pierce a hole in the mouses skull which alerted my BP (called Ivar). He kept looking interested, then hiding his head back away as soon as the mouse got close. In the end, I literally had to pretty much annoy him by bopping this mouse constantly infront of him until he got that annoyed at it, he struck! Just glad he’s finally enjoying his first meal at home. Was slightly worried about my little fella!
    Next time ... wait until he’s settled
    in his hide , give the mouse a blast with a hairdryer then instantly dangle it in front of the hide entrance... don’t blink !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro