Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

1 members and 2,830 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Is a 5ft vivarium too big?

So I’m going to upgrade my 2 year old bp from a 3ft vivarium as she is quite active, and always seems to be trying to escape her enclosure (has done this since she was small, not something wrong with setup). Should I go for 4ft or 5ft, as I am not sure if it would stress her out to put her in the larger one or not. Also I’m not exactly sure what I’d fill it with either, I’m just so used to two hides, a fake plant and a water bowl! I know it is not necessary to upgrade to a 5ft enclosure but as I only have a very small collection of reptiles, so I want to give lots of space when I can. Thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Is a 5ft vivarium too big?

I’ve got a Royal in. 5’ x 2’ x 2’ wooden viv - no issues at all .

Just fill it with loads of branches ( from the local woods or parks) have a few caves / hides / quiet spots plus fake foliage ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-27-2020),snake girl 123 (01-27-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Is a 5ft vivarium too big?

Quote Originally Posted by snake girl 123 View Post
    So I’m going to upgrade my 2 year old bp from a 3ft vivarium as she is quite active, and always seems to be trying to escape her enclosure (has done this since she was small, not something wrong with setup). Should I go for 4ft or 5ft, as I am not sure if it would stress her out to put her in the larger one or not. Also I’m not exactly sure what I’d fill it with either, I’m just so used to two hides, a fake plant and a water bowl! I know it is not necessary to upgrade to a 5ft enclosure but as I only have a very small collection of reptiles, so I want to give lots of space when I can. Thoughts?
    Mine are in 4’ AP enclosures. The T8 is on sale but I suggest the T10 for cleaning purposes and its easier to get the snake in and out with taller doors. I went with T12’s for a higher enclosure for my sake.
    I have xl Reptiles Basics hides and a 5qt water bowl from Tractor Supply. That leaves about 1 foot of open area on each side of the water bowl. A healthy Ball Python has no problems with this type of setup. There will be a ton of people that try to say this is way too big for a ball python and what I find are these are mostly people that have gotten a ball python from a pet store or from a bad breeder. Those snakes have a tendency to be nervous, unhealthy and finicky eaters. With that said those types of ball pythons have a problem in almost everything except for a rack system.
    Both of mine have been in these since hatchlings. I just changed the size hides as they like to be in a fitting hide. Each night they come out and they stay hidden all day. There are times of year where they have odd behavior, however thats each year like clock work not because of the enclosure size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-27-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Thanks, nice to know others have a 5ft, will definitely get a couple of branches

Thanks

Thinking this myself. Bought a 5x2x2 last month whilst on sale and wondered if my ball could go in there once it gets abit bigger. Glad to know it’s ok!

Thanks

Also, the AP enclosures are not really available to me in the UK, but I’m sure there are similar ones somewhere. Not sure exactly where she came from to be honest as she was a rescue, apparently the last owner didn’t know that ball pythons don’t stay hatchling size forever, however she’s not too nervous and she does make the most of the space she has at the moment.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to snake girl 123 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-29-2020)

Thanks

Also, the AP enclosures are not really available to me in the UK, but I’m sure there are similar ones somewhere. Not sure exactly where she came from to be honest as she was a rescue, apparently the last owner didn’t know that ball pythons don’t stay hatchling size forever, however she’s not too nervous and she does make the most of the space she has at the moment.
    I’m in the uk too and I got the vivexotic viv. Was looking at exoterra but settled on vivexotics. I already owned one which my corn snake is in and I do rate these vivs.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Thanks, nice to know others have a 5ft, will definitely get a couple of branches
    The more the merrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro