Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,927

3 members and 2,924 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Which species should live in the new 20gal?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kenyan Sand Boa

2 28.57%
  • Rosy Boa

4 57.14%
  • Neither!

1 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Rosy or KSB? And General Info

With the new year having came around, I finally decided it was time to listen along to my family and re-arrange my room. Apparently, I had much more wasted space than I originally thought, because with this sudden new cleaning, I had space to finally set up the extra 20gal stand that I had laying around collecting dust. Of course, now that I have the space, I just HAVE to use it! Doing some basic research, I have really begun to fall in love with Rosy and Sand boas, though even through comparing many of the pros and cons of each I still am unsure of which I should pick. I really wanted to see, from other keepers especially, what they personally prefer, and which have been more fun to care for. Along with this, I was curious if anyone had any other ideas for species I might have fun keeping in a 20gal, since it is a limited space. So far I have figured out the enclosure setup of both species by googling around online and seeing some old threads, but I was curious if anyone had some updated info to look at.

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    My vote isn't exactly impartial, as I've never kept a KSB but have bred, raised & even rescued quite a few rosy boas. While I love the KSB's appearance, I have the
    impression that they hide (burrow) more, so that's why I voted as I did...I prefer the more "sociable" snakes.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Rosy or KSB? And General Info

I was originally researching rosy boas for my first snake, but when it came time to buy, wouldn't you know I couldn't find a rosy, and there were KSB's all over the place. I didn't really like the patterning on them, but I ended up with a paradox albino sand boa, and he is awesome beyond words. I still wouldn't turn down a rosy, though. Love those racing stripes.
    He does just fine in a 10 gallon tank. It's a little hard keeping the temps up right now but I manage with a UTH and a heat lamp overhead. When spring comes, I'll ditch the heat lamp, probably.
    Last edited by Spicey; 01-27-2020 at 05:51 PM.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

Thanks
    "New Flash"- those racing stripes don't make rosy boas any faster, lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    My vote isn't exactly impartial, as I've never kept a KSB but have bred, raised & even rescued quite a few rosy boas. While I love the KSB's appearance, I have the
    impression that they hide (burrow) more, so that's why I voted as I did...I prefer the more "sociable" snakes.
    The high activity is one of the main reasons i've felt more inclined to go for a Rosy, but i suppose it also depends on whether or not I can find them. As with Spicy, im HOPING that I can find them at the expo that I intend to purchase at, though it will be quite a bit smaller than the original expo where ill be gathering prices/misc supplies. Fingers crossed if thats the decision I come to, I suppose I always have Morph Market if I need it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks
    Either way, both are small but appealing pets. It never hurts to keep an open mind for that "gut feeling" if you happen to end up with options.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I had a KSB. It was a beautiful snake... But it hid herself in the substrate all the time. Sometimes I had to look for her by poking around to make sure she was still alive. I was annoyed that for a pricey morph, you barely ever see out until feeding day.

For a 20gallon long, my suggestions are: male gray banded kings, leopard gecko and children python (29 gallon long, same amount of length just taller).

Or stack yourself some T's. They are getting pretty popular in the exotic pet trade.

Or don't get another pet. Extra space don't mean you got the extra expense for vet care and other needs or the time to maintain its enclosure.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-28-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I had a KSB. It was a beautiful snake... But it hid herself in the substrate all the time. Sometimes I had to look for her by poking around to make sure she was still alive. I was annoyed that for a pricey morph, you barely ever see out until feeding day...
    That's why I love rat snakes, including corn snakes. They'll hang out in-on branches, + they're nosy, & more active. And my Aussie spotted python (similar to Children's
    python, as far as I know) is also very observant & likes to bask. Kings are more energetic too, as are the whole pituophis family (gopher, bull & pine snakes) but they need much larger cages.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-28-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks

I have a female sand boa that I bought as a male haha I’ve had her close to 20 years now. She was the first snake I got and by far the easiest pet I’ve ever had. It’s true that you never see them but you can decorate the tank so it’s not so much an eye sore. Also don’t get a morph the wild type is beautiful and SUPER affordable. They’re fun to pull out and chill with occasionally but not good to watch. Although come on... realistically most snakes aren’t. Pretty much every species is going to hide whether it’s under the sand or in a hide. So overall if you can get past never seeing it unless you take it out they’re cheap and easy to keep. There are definitely other options too so don’t be afraid to look around before deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-28-2020)

Thanks

That’s all you’ll ever see at best You can use aspen or sand in my experience. I’ve used both feeding in the enclosure and never had issues, so if you don’t like the look of aspen sand is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-28-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast