Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,999

3 members and 2,996 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Which species should live in the new 20gal?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kenyan Sand Boa

2 28.57%
  • Rosy Boa

4 57.14%
  • Neither!

1 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Rosy or KSB? And General Info

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's why I love rat snakes, including corn snakes. They'll hang out in-on branches, + they're nosy, & more active. And my Aussie spotted python (similar to Children's
    python, as far as I know) is also very observant & likes to bask. Kings are more energetic too, as are the whole pituophis family (gopher, bull & pine snakes) but they need much larger cages.
    I saw a pine snake at the pet store last week. It has an almost human like eyes. Large pupils, watching my finger moving side to side in front of him. Not like a corn, can't describe it... What is the difference between the gopher, bull and pine? What is their temperament like?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    I have a female sand boa that I bought as a male haha I’ve had her close to 20 years now. She was the first snake I got and by far the easiest pet I’ve ever had. It’s true that you never see them but you can decorate the tank so it’s not so much an eye sore. Also don’t get a morph the wild type is beautiful and SUPER affordable. They’re fun to pull out and chill with occasionally but not good to watch. Although come on... realistically most snakes aren’t. Pretty much every species is going to hide whether it’s under the sand or in a hide. So overall if you can get past never seeing it unless you take it out they’re cheap and easy to keep. There are definitely other options too so don’t be afraid to look around before deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is not entirely true. The colubrids will keep you entertained.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-28-2020)

Thanks

I have a Corn Snake and a BP. Between the two I typically see the corn more but not by much. Snakes, as a whole, like to hide. I'd just pick the one you like the most, and if you like them equally try to find an individule snake you'd be happy with.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I saw a pine snake at the pet store last week. It has an almost human like eyes. Large pupils, watching my finger moving side to side in front of him. Not like a corn, can't describe it... What is the difference between the gopher, bull and pine? What is their temperament like?
    I've never kept a pine snake but I've both bred & kept gophers & bulls, & as far as I know the pines have a similar "out-going" personality, since all are active diurnal (daytime) hunters in the wild, & all are easy to feed (not fussy eaters, they'll consume rodents or birds in the wild). Of the 3, bull snakes are probably a little more feisty (especially the hatchlings, they're big & can be sassy nippers until they learn we're "safe"), but apart from that, I found them easy to handle without bites. They're also smart enough not to confuse you with food, at least the ones I knew were. I've even picked up wild gopher snakes that didn't bite (to move them to safety)- much depends on your approach & the "vibe" you give them. (ie. don't grab for head or tail, & if you gently touch mid-body & you'll probably get a few shoves without any nips attempted before they accept) The wild adults are great bluffers: they can hiss very impressively & will vibrate their tails vigorously- in dry brush, many mistake them for rattlesnakes, but it's the dry brush making the sound.

You'll know you're dealing with a really "aware" serpent...but generally one without malice unless you've earned it. Keep in mind these are not snakes you can keep in a "tub"...they're big & active, they'll rub their noses raw trying to escape if they don't have enough space, and they're strong, so furnishings can & will be easily moved unless you find creative ways to anchor them. Great snakes, I love them. I recommend a large aquarium w/ screen top. They can push pretty hard but I never had any escapes- I made my own screen tops of 1" x 2" pine & chained the 4 corners (w/ spring aka "dog leash" clips) to the cabinets their tanks sat on. Of the 3, bull snakes generally get the largest...a pine snake would be a great pet, IMO. (they'll also appreciate substrate to burrow in and something like Carefresh works great) I recommend using UTH at one end, & a water bowl big enough to soak in if they want to.

Sorry folks, this is off-topic...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-28-2020 at 01:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

That is not entirely true. The colubrids will keep you entertained.
    That’s why I said most I’m not a huge colubrid guy though because they’re often squirmy. There are lots of arboreal snakes that make for amazing display but aren’t great at handling. Most of the commonly kept chill snakes hide a lot. I’ve heard that hognose snakes are more active and they’re a little more thick than a corn or something which is nice. Might be a species worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I had a KSB. It was a beautiful snake... But it hid herself in the substrate all the time. Sometimes I had to look for her by poking around to make sure she was still alive. I was annoyed that for a pricey morph, you barely ever see out until feeding day.

For a 20gallon long, my suggestions are: male gray banded kings, leopard gecko and children python (29 gallon long, same amount of length just taller).

Or stack yourself some T's. They are getting pretty popular in the exotic pet trade.

Or don't get another pet. Extra space don't mean you got the extra expense for vet care and other needs or the time to maintain its enclosure.
    Thanks for some of the extra ideas! Don't even get me started on T's, I currently have 6 species staring at me as I type from the other side of the room! Inverts have quickly become a growing hobby of mine next to the reptiles. I also have my male leo already as well, who's going to actually be chilling in the tank next door, though the king snakes and children python are certainly contenders! I think i've really starting leaning towards the Rosy as of late, just because of their high activity. Being the first snake that im keeping in glass instead of on my rack, having it out and about seems nice, but im certainly going to do some research on the two you listed. Kings have always been an interest of mine though I never owned a colubrid myself, and haven't actually heard of a childrens python before, so I suppose its time for some late night research!
    Last edited by Slicercrush; 01-30-2020 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Grammatical errors

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slicercrush View Post
    Thanks for some of the extra ideas! Don't even get me started on T's, I currently have 6 species staring at me as I type from the other side of the room! Inverts have quickly become a growing hobby of mine next to the reptiles. I also have my male leo already as well, who's going to actually be chilling in the tank next door, though the king snakes and children python are certainly contenders! I think i've really starting leaning towards the Rosy as of late, just because of their high activity. Being the first snake that im keeping in glass instead of on my rack, having it out and about seems nice, but im certainly going to do some research on the two you listed. Kings have always been an interest of mine though I never owned a colubrid myself, and haven't actually heard of a childrens python before, so I suppose its time for some late night research!
    FYI, Australian spotted pythons are a close relative to Children's pythons, both stay small & are available c/b, just not so common as corns & BPs & kings...

All snakes have pro's & cons- my very young rat snakes are still pretty squirmy (& being so slender & small, can be hard to hang onto), but each has their own personality-one is bold, fairly active (the first hatched) & I just had her out for some handling & thought she looked hungry so I thawed a fuzzy & she ate it calmly from my fingers while being held in my hands.

That's not something you can do with all snakes. Her 2 siblings, one is feisty & defensive still, the other is calm & likes the pocket on my shirt. So it's one thing to generalize but snakes of all kinds are individuals too. Keeps it interesting. (Just like some kings are very food-focused, but not all.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-30-2020 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks

Thought I should tie this up with the conclusion!

After looking at many breeders sites, only ONE had rosy boas. After talking with the breeder, I ended up with this amazing girl, a het Hypo Long Canyon! Everyone, meet Rosalina!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slicercrush For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-10-2020),MarkL1561 (02-11-2020)

Thanks
    She's beautiful! Glad you gave us an update too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Rosy boas are so lovely. Grats on the new pet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12