Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,839

1 members and 2,838 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Another lesson about retained sheds

I hold my ratsnake quite often, and I check her sheds for completeness. Therefore I feel pretty bad about missing this one. The shed before last I noticed Noodle's very tip of her tail had a bit of extra skin, just the tiniest bit, and I tried to pull it off but it didn't come off. The rest of the tail looked fine to me. I decided not to force it and just left it alone. She shed again a few days ago. I admit I was busy this week and I didn't inspect her or the shed until yesterday, and was horrified to see that her tail looked awful, and the very tip looked dead! I then inspected the shed and found that the tip of the tail skin looked like at least a couple layers had shed at once. I swear I never noticed extra skin that far up after her last shed.

So off we went off to the exotic vet. The vet says the tail tip is still alive for now, just very raw. There is some infection going up towards the body already but not too bad. The vet drew a line around her tail with marker below the infection, and if that gets worse or spreads I need to bring her back immediately.

It does look like she really pulled off a bunch of skin and some scales along with the shed. I am dipping her tail in iodine twice a day and we are watching to see if it dies or not, requiring amputation. It looks better this morning (the infection part) so I'm hopeful the tail can be saved, but only time will tell.

I consider myself a very attentive and good snake owner and we only have 3 snakes in the house. I guess this goes to show it can happen to anyone.

Last edited by FollowTheSun; 01-25-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

aurum (01-26-2020),Bogertophis (01-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    This can happen much faster with snakes like colubrids (rat, corn, king, milk snakes, etc) because their tail tips are so skinny, but really this can happen with any kind
    of snake if you're not paying close attention. Just a few layers of retained shed can constrict the already-minimal blood supply in the tail tip, causing it to die & require
    removal due to infection. Thanks for sharing your photo...I sure hope Noodles tail tip recovers ok.

This is why we long-time snake keepers "nag" about checking over your snakes after they shed. I'm sure it happens to wild snakes too, but they're more active & old
    skin tends to get rubbed off, plus our houses are often lacking humidity, whereas a wild snake often spends time underground where there's residual moisture.

It's even harder to spot a bit of retained shed on a tail-tip when your snake is light colored like Ms. Noodles, and they sure don't sit still for you to check either, so
    you really just have to gently insist upon checking.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-25-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (01-25-2020),O'Mathghamhna (01-31-2020),richardhind1972 (01-25-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Another lesson about retained sheds

Hope all goes well,
    I think it's important to share bad things as well as good things. it may help a fellow keeper in future prevent done thing with there own snakes

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (01-25-2020),FollowTheSun (01-25-2020)

Thanks
    Keep in mind these images are bigger than real life...a little shed left on a tiny tail tip is truly very hard to see, so use a magnifier if you need to. My snakes don't
    "appreciate" me messing with their tail tips if any shed is stuck, but I've never had one bite me for doing so, they just get squirmy & try to leave town. You have
    to be the grown-up.

On the top photo you see a darkened area, but at first, you won't see that at all...just a bit of shed left on the tip. It's important to get the old shed off before it gets
    to this point, because if the tip dies &/or becomes septic, it's a bigger deal, a vet may have to surgically remove the tip so the infection doesn't become systemic (thru-
    out the snake's body).

That's a very helpful post, for sure...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

I recommend above 60% humidity, it seems anything less can cause dry sheds.

Kaos Balls

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Update-- her tail is okay!! It appears to have mostly healed and is still alive all the way to the tip. That was a close call!
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 01-31-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

aurum (01-31-2020),Bogertophis (01-31-2020),Spicey (01-31-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Update-- her tail is okay!! It appears to have mostly healed and is still alive all the way to the tip. That was a close call!
    I'm so happy to hear that. No matter what kind of snakes we keep, it helps to remember where they live in the wild- what the climate (& humidity) is like, & any habits they have that may affect the humidity they experience (like burrowing into termite mounds & rock piles, or occupying the burrows of other animals). All our houses remove the natural humidity via A/C & heating, but it also matters if we live in the desert, versus living in areas that receive lots of rainfall. There isn't a "one size fits all" answer, we just have to pay attention to what our captive snakes seem to need, & provide those options.

I'm so glad you posted about this...tail tips can be lost so quickly...it's something we all need to watch for.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-31-2020 at 12:47 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (01-31-2020)