Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,677

0 members and 2,677 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,023
Threads: 248,488
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, fishguts

Thread: Flies/Nats

Thanks

Flies/Nats

I have notice that latey I have alot of flies/nats. I don't have any dead rats laying around. Anyone have an idea to why all of a sudden I am having this issue. Anyway to resolve it?

Thanks

Re: Flies/Nats

Probably because of dirty bedding. I have this problem with flies around my rabbits.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Thanks
    How often do you change the bedding? I can't say I've had an issue like this so I'll share my schedule with you, if it helps.

Every week I change the whole bedding. Regardless if a new litter is born or anything, I change it every Thursday or Friday. Beginning of each month the tubs are sprayed down with diluted bleach and rinsed out well before new bedding is put back in. When I change the tubs each week I wear gloves so I can really scrape off the corners where they urinate the most. It tends to stick to the pan.

My guess is the corners are really wet which is attracting the gnats. Or double check your water system, make sure it's not leaking. Even a few drips a minute can add up to a really moist substrate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Naginii For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,737 Times in 11,796 Posts
    I use a wide "paint scraper-putty knife" when I clean my rodent cages...it's fast & easy to dislodge debris from the corners & helps me steer it into the trash bag- without
    getting my hands in it......then I spray with diluted chlorhexidine & wipe dry w/ paper towels.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naginii View Post
    How often do you change the bedding? I can't say I've had an issue like this so I'll share my schedule with you, if it helps.

Every week I change the whole bedding. Regardless if a new litter is born or anything, I change it every Thursday or Friday. Beginning of each month the tubs are sprayed down with diluted bleach and rinsed out well before new bedding is put back in. When I change the tubs each week I wear gloves so I can really scrape off the corners where they urinate the most. It tends to stick to the pan.

My guess is the corners are really wet which is attracting the gnats. Or double check your water system, make sure it's not leaking. Even a few drips a minute can add up to a really moist substrate.
    I change it every 2 weeks, but I'll try your schedule out. First time I have noticed so many flies and gnats though since I have been breeding. Thanks for the reply!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    My rodent cleaning days are every Monday. I do Mondays because my trash gets picked up on Tuesday mornings. That way used bedding isn't staying around any longer than needed. Even if a trash bag isn't full it will still get taken out.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

BRD (01-27-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BRD View Post
    I change it every 2 weeks, but I'll try your schedule out. First time I have noticed so many flies and gnats though since I have been breeding. Thanks for the reply!
    No problem! I would recommend when you change it next to spray with a little bleach mix if you can, just so that if there is any issue that it gets taken care of. I hope it goes away for you though! Coming from a 2 week cleaning to every week you might be able to use less substrate too. I use just enough to cover the bottom of my tubs and make sure to change it more often, compared to using more substrate and letting it go longer. Just something to think about anyways.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Naginii For This Useful Post:

BRD (01-27-2020)

Thanks

Besides cleaning more often, you could try hanging or setting sticky traps around your cages. When I get a sudden infestation of insects, it's usually because one gravid female bug decided to slip in and lay her eggs somewhere. The sticky traps will attract the gnats/flies and stop them in their tracks, so to speak. Good luck!
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

BRD (01-27-2020)