Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

2 members and 3,275 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Radiant heat panel issues

I recently set up a 48x20x15 pvc enclosure for my BP. I have a 75 watt pro products rhp mounted on the far right with the probe on the cool end about half way down. Thermostat is set to 78. The warm side is right where it should be, at 85-90. The middle temps are about 80, acting more as the cool side right now, while the actual cool side is in the low 70’s. I can’t bump up the thermostat without the warm side getting too hot, is there something I’m missing? Bob from pro products recommended I mount the panel to one side for a larger gradient but those low temperatures don’t seem appropriate. Should I try moving the probe somewhere else?

Also, I’m having an issue keeping the humidity up. I finally got it to 70 but that’s the highest I’ve been able to get it. I use a mix of eco earth, cypress mulch, and sphagnum moss.

Thanks
    Who makes the cage? Sounds like you may need to block some vents off. I put my probes hanging from the ceiling, about an inch away from the heat panel, hanging an inch below the panel, on the backside between the panel and the wall and adjust accordingly to give me my hot spot. Their in their own heated room now that stays between 77-79, but when they weren’t they were upstairs where the ambients of the room were 63-64 and it kept the cool side at 77. But I had to block off half the vents to achieve this. I’m using animal plastics cages. 4’x2’ with a pro products radiant heat panel in it...75 watt I believe. You only need your humidity around 50-60%. Mine stays 70-80 with only one vent blocked off currently (5 total vents) but I have a huge water bowl in the center of the cage, partially under the heat panel, as the setup is for a green anaconda.

Thanks

Re: Radiant heat panel issues

One way to look at your problem is that it is less of a heating issue and more of a heat loss issue.

We have several 2'x3'x12" RBI cages (with UTH and 80W RHP) that are stacked in front of a large window. We live in New York and in the winter we have to keep the curtains closed. If we don't, the heat loss through the window is so great our that we run in to the same problem you are experiencing. And you've got an extra foot of caging to deal with.

My advice is to try to reduce heat loss. Try covering one or more sides of your cage with foam insulation and see if that helps.

A side benefit of reducing heat loss is that your RHP won't have to work as hard and you'll save a few dollars on your utility bill.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to larryd23 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (01-24-2020)

Thanks

Please post pics of your enclosure and I am sure someone will be able to help even more?

Sometimes over night my cool side will get to the low 70s also. Insulating the enclosure has helped. At night I have my RHP a little hotter as the light is off. It is a balancing act.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by larryd23 View Post
    My advice is to try to reduce heat loss. Try covering one or more sides of your cage with foam insulation and see if that helps.
    If you don't have foam insulation on hand, a small blanket or large towel will work if you want to test this solution.

Some of my racks are in cooler rooms during the winter. I've covered them with a light blanket when the ambient room temp can drop down to 70*F and it does help bump up the ambient temp in the tubs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
    Who makes the cage? Sounds like you may need to block some vents off. I put my probes hanging from the ceiling, about an inch away from the heat panel, hanging an inch below the panel, on the backside between the panel and the wall and adjust accordingly to give me my hot spot. Their in their own heated room now that stays between 77-79, but when they weren’t they were upstairs where the ambients of the room were 63-64 and it kept the cool side at 77. But I had to block off half the vents to achieve this. I’m using animal plastics cages. 4’x2’ with a pro products radiant heat panel in it...75 watt I believe. You only need your humidity around 50-60%. Mine stays 70-80 with only one vent blocked off currently (5 total vents) but I have a huge water bowl in the center of the cage, partially under the heat panel, as the setup is for a green anaconda.
    I got it from a guy at an expo, there’s only one vent. The room is pretty cool, around the low 70’s. There’s definitely cool air coming in through the windows. I’ve tried blocking them off with towels and hanging heavy curtains.
    Last edited by _chelseaaa; 01-24-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _chelseaaa View Post
    I recently set up a 48x20x15 pvc enclosure for my BP. I have a 75 watt pro products rhp mounted on the far right with the probe on the cool end about half way down. Thermostat is set to 78. The warm side is right where it should be, at 85-90. The middle temps are about 80, acting more as the cool side right now, while the actual cool side is in the low 70’s. I can’t bump up the thermostat without the warm side getting too hot, is there something I’m missing? Bob from pro products recommended I mount the panel to one side for a larger gradient but those low temperatures don’t seem appropriate. Should I try moving the probe somewhere else?

Also, I’m having an issue keeping the humidity up. I finally got it to 70 but that’s the highest I’ve been able to get it. I use a mix of eco earth, cypress mulch, and sphagnum moss.

The panel is going to heat the same regardless. I use the probe on the cool side as well with zero issues. I will agree with what someone said on here is that you are losing heat. Curious as to how you are checking the temperatures throughout the enclosure? heat gun or digital stats? When you bought the panel did you tell bob everything about that specific set up?

Big things are:

Enclosure size
    Ambient room temperatures
    Is the cage on a concrete floor or close to one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    The panel is going to heat the same regardless. I use the probe on the cool side as well with zero issues. I will agree with what someone said on here is that you are losing heat. Curious as to how you are checking the temperatures throughout the enclosure? heat gun or digital stats? When you bought the panel did you tell bob everything about that specific set up?

Big things are:

Enclosure size
    The ambient temp in the room was a main concern so I made sure to mention it to him. The enclosure is on a carpeted floor. I’ll try blocking off the windows with something. There’s only one vent and it’s not very big but I’ll also try covering part of that and see what happens. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post

Big things are:

Enclosure size
    The ambient temp in the room was a main concern so I made sure to mention it to him. The enclosure is on a carpeted floor. I’ll try blocking off the windows with something. There’s only one vent and it’s not very big but I’ll also try covering part of that and see what happens. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by _chelseaaa View Post
    I got it from a guy at an expo, there’s only one vent. The room is pretty cool, around the low 70’s. There’s definitely cool air coming in through the windows. I’ve tried blocking them off with towels and hanging heavy curtains.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the cold air leaking in through the windows makes the floor area colder than the rest of your room.

This is a terribly "redneck" solution, but I use clear plastic pieces cut from a painter's drop cloth, and clear packing tape, to seal up/cover my remaining old, poorly-insulated, single-pane windows remaining in my house (I'm slowly replacing them as finances permit). For under $10 in supplies per winter I figure I'm saving $40-50 monthly on heating bills by eliminating those drafts.