Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 388

13 members and 375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 67,152
Threads: 241,789
Posts: 2,510,037
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, robertbarryjr
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    5,768
    Thanks
    2,174
    Thanked 3,658 Times in 2,304 Posts

    Anyone have a Royal / Ball that only ate thawed chick HEADS !?

    This is a serious question !!

    I have a Royal that was off his food for ages age ages but then after months of trying mice , chicks , rats , hamsters , gerbils and even multimates ... he finally wolfed down two , thawed day old chick HEADS !!
    Then a few successful feeds of two whole chicks ..

    So fast forward a couple of months of not eating / refusing chicks and mice and tonight he ate two chick heads again !!


    What the hell is going on ?

    Why refuse all those other things yet eat thawed chick heads ??

    Could it be something like leaking brain matter / smell ??




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro




  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-27-2018
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 86 Times in 36 Posts
    Try braining a chick next feed. I wouldn’t think there would be a whole lot of nutrients in just the head.

  3. #3
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    5,768
    Thanks
    2,174
    Thanked 3,658 Times in 2,304 Posts

    Re: Anyone have a Royal / Ball that only ate thawed chick HEADS !?

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
    Try braining a chick next feed. I wouldn’t think there would be a whole lot of nutrients in just the head.
    Why does he prefer chick heads to whole chicks or all those other things I’ve tried though ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro




  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-27-2018
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 86 Times in 36 Posts
    Maybe it is something with the brain smell. How big is the prey item
    compared to the snake?

  5. #5
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,734
    Thanks
    14,807
    Thanked 8,640 Times in 5,522 Posts
    If the chick heads he ate weren't 'brained', why would that be the smell he's after? I think he likes "chick-breath"...

    Truly, no idea...that's just so freaking strange!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  6. #6
    Registered User Meghenebk's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-20-2011
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts

    Re: Anyone have a Royal / Ball that only ate thawed chick HEADS !?

    Even if they weren't brained, severing the spinal cord to get the heads off would have released some tiny bit of cerebrospinal fluid, just like braining. Maybe that's it?

    Or he's a zombie. Braaaiiins.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Meghenebk For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (01-23-2020)

  8. #7
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,734
    Thanks
    14,807
    Thanked 8,640 Times in 5,522 Posts

    Re: Anyone have a Royal / Ball that only ate thawed chick HEADS !?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    This is a serious question !!

    I have a Royal that was off his food for ages age ages but then after months of trying mice , chicks , rats , hamsters , gerbils and even multimates ... he finally wolfed down two , thawed day old chick HEADS !!
    Then a few successful feeds of two whole chicks ..

    So fast forward a couple of months of not eating / refusing chicks and mice and tonight he ate two chick heads again !!


    What the hell is going on ?

    Why refuse all those other things yet eat thawed chick heads ??

    Could it be something like leaking brain matter / smell ??




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    So how old was this snake when you got him, & how long have you had him? Is is possible that's what he was raised on before you got him????
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  9. #8
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    5,768
    Thanks
    2,174
    Thanked 3,658 Times in 2,304 Posts

    Anyone have a Royal / Ball that only ate thawed chick HEADS !?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    So how old was this snake when you got him, & how long have you had him? Is is possible that's what he was raised on before you got him????
    He’s a few years old .. 1.5kg and fed on jumbo mice and rats

    It is confusing you’re right


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 01-24-2020 at 01:19 AM.




  10. #9
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,734
    Thanks
    14,807
    Thanked 8,640 Times in 5,522 Posts
    You know, even humans can have weird eating disorders. Maybe she has a snake-version of 'pica'- that's sometimes thought to be related to mineral or nutritional
    deficiencies, or just psychological. Maybe you can make a deal with a butcher, & stick chicken heads on all your rodents for her, lol.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  11. #10
    Registered User Gocntry's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-28-2019
    Location
    Northern Va.
    Posts
    351
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 449 Times in 211 Posts

    Re: Anyone have a Royal / Ball that only ate thawed chick HEADS !?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    .....Maybe you can make a deal with a butcher, & stick chicken heads on all your rodents for her, lol.

    Too Freaky.......


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (01-24-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1