Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

0 members and 2,840 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Columbian Redtail Boa Help

Hi there any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated, I recently acquired this redtail with a collection of ball pythons I purchased a while back, I owned two others when I was a kid but never got super into the boas. I was wanting to know his morph and maybe about what he's worth? I cant really seem to nail it down I've been told he is a pastel but that doesn't seem accurate? I'm looking to rehome him and while I'm not really looking to make money off him I don't want to get swindled and if he pays for some BP food for a bit I wouldn't mind.

Thanks!
    IBP

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Hello!
    Pastel is not a morph in boas like it is in BPs. There are lines called different pastels that are line-bred animals but it's not an actual morph, just a normal variation that can be refined through selective breeding.
    Yours looks like a nice normal with thin saddles.
    Hope that helps!
    For the Horde!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2020),Gio (01-23-2020)

Thanks

Re: Columbian Redtail Boa Help

Sounds about right to me, thanks for the confirmation. Just didn't want to look too stupid on craigslist. He's at a good home now!

Thanks
    How is is temperament? And where are you located?

Thanks

Re: Columbian Redtail Boa Help

Unfortunately the common boa imperator "red tails" aren't worth as much as the actual red tails. once you start getting into the crazy morphs and stuff like that they can be worth more money but just the normals people can get for fifty bucks. If they are bigger maybe a hundred to 150. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $100 for any of the common bi. Now the BCC red tails, can be worth some more money. I paid 600 for my Suriname redtail because she was already older and larger so she was worth more. And I got my small Suriname and my Guyana together and they have high peaks and are really clean so I got them together for 900. I had someone offer me 1300 for the pair of the other day and I said no. My Colombian bi I would be lucky to get anything over a hundred bucks for. the pet stores sometimes sell them between 150 and 200 and tell people that they are red tails when red tails are a completely separate species. And people say crap about people that try to correct and explain the differences but the reason that a lot of people do that is because unfortunately the pet stores sell these animals as red tails and once you break down the species and learn the difference is, you find out they generally aren't worth as much as you thought. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the boa imperatorI've had three, but without getting some of the nice morphs, the normals just don't go for that much money.