Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 923

5 members and 918 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question BP resting half outside of hide + humidity question

I got a new BP about a week ago, and (despite days-long texas rain bumping up the humidity levels) he seems to adjusting quite nicely. He was a very curious and calm snake when I first held him at his breeders’ home, but i’m still waiting a few days to handle him just to be thorough. Around the third day of me having him, he stopped roaming his cage and would hide during the day like I figured he would, and around 6pm-8pm (almost on the dot lol), he comes out of his hide but only half or a quarter of the way out, and just props his head on top of or on the incline of his hide, with the rest of his body curled inside or against the front of the hide. obviously I don’t know if he moves beyond that because i’m sleeping, but is it typical for BPs to just stick half of their bodies out and just chill? I’ve seen people saying their BPs will relax with their noses or heads out, but mine sticks out more than just his head.

He doesn’t seem to be as startled by my presence anymore; he just stays where he is if I happen to walk by and he’s out of his hide, and in the mornings when I change his water he’s in his hide usually, but he’ll notice something is happening and stick part of his head out and watch my hand. Sometimes the time doesn’t really matter though, because it’s 11:12 and his head is still inclined against the outside of his hide. Just wondering if that’s maybe just a thing he does or if it’s something else.

Lastly, I live in Texas, and especially lately the humidity has been insane because of constant rain. I’m using a tub to house my BP and it’s been difficult to get the humidity to go below 84 percent and i don’t want to risk an RI when I just got him. I have poked quite a few holes, but do I just keep adding more? Thanks in advance.

Edit: here are a few photos.
    https://flic.kr/p/2iiX6ZM
    https://flic.kr/p/2ij1FCM
    https://flic.kr/p/2ij1FDo
    Last edited by enchidiot; 01-23-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks

Re: BP resting half outside of hide + humidity question

Looks pretty normal to me. Cute snake by the way! Very pretty colors! Mine will do this when she is waiting for food. Usually for the couple of days before feeding day she will have progressively more of her body out of her hide.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-23-2020),enchidiot (01-23-2020)

Thanks

mine does that too! i also think it’s because he’s anticipating food but i also think he just likes to look around sometimes

5. The Following User Says Thank You to miatb For This Useful Post:

enchidiot (01-23-2020)

Thanks

Also placing a fan near the enclosure can help bring your humidity down.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

enchidiot (01-23-2020)

Thanks

Thank you!

Thanks

ahaha yeah i think he’s still a little bit unused to me, especially because i haven’t properly handled him beyond cleaning and changing water, so he might still be a bit nervous and wants to keep an eye on me & whatever i’m doing? i’m probably disappointing him by not having food though

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I too think he's just waiting for his next meal...when did he eat last? I'm NOT suggesting that you should have fed him right away, even IF he was due to feed;
    it just helps to know "where he's coming from" & to me, it just looks like he's looking for "room service" & I wouldn't worry...giving him some time to settle into a
    new home is preferable to feeding too soon.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I too think he's just waiting for his next meal...when did he eat last? I'm NOT suggesting that you should have fed him right away, even IF he was due to feed;
    it just helps to know "where he's coming from" & to me, it just looks like he's looking for "room service" & I wouldn't worry...giving him some time to settle into a
    new home is preferable to feeding too soon.
    I believe he ate a week before I brought him home, and tomorrow it will be a week since I've had him under my care.