Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,729

1 members and 2,728 guests
Fini,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

I'm back with another Mowgli update

I don't know if anyone remembers my rescue snake Mowgli, and how her previous owner neglected her to the point she had two layers of stuck eye caps.
    Well after her recent shed since with me, I was having problems getting it off her eyes (the second time/after her shed) , after numerous soakings, putting her in a wet pillow case, putting a cloth over her head etc... I took her to the vet for help. Because it was going on for like a week, a week and a half and that's just too long to stress her out soaking her everyday and fiddling with her head.
    Anyways, they couldn't get it off, it's determined the scarring from those stuck eye caps when I got her is so bad, she'll never properly shed her eye caps again.
    So after many attempts to save her eyes, she's been scheduled for surgery next week to have them removed. No ifs, ands or buts about it since it's her only option to be healthy and live a happy life without distress or discomfort
    I've been "training" her to use all her other senses to "see" in the meantime and she's doing amazing! So when she does have her eyes removed, she'll adapt, or well that's my theory and hope
    Last edited by Kodayin; 01-22-2020 at 05:22 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodayin For This Useful Post:

Bodie (01-22-2020),Bogertophis (01-22-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    God blesss u and we've got our fingers and tails crossed for Mowgli.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Kodayin (01-23-2020)

Thanks

Re: I'm back with another Mowgli update

Good luck. Looks like Mowgli is in excellent, loving hands
    Last edited by Bodie; 01-22-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

Kodayin (01-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Sorry that she has continued to have eye problems...seems you don't have too much choice though, & I think she'll adapt pretty well. Sounds like she hasn't been
    seeing more than shadows at the most anyway? And BPs really rely on their heat sensing pits a great deal anyway.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kodayin (01-23-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Sorry that she has continued to have eye problems...seems you don't have too much choice though, & I think she'll adapt pretty well. Sounds like she hasn't been
    seeing more than shadows at the most anyway? And BPs really rely on their heat sensing pits a great deal anyway.
    Thank you everyone! And yeah sadly she hasn’t been able to see a lot for a long while now. For a short time after getting the first set of eye caps off from the previous owner, she could see, but it wasn’t took long after that, that she went into shed, so of course making it where she can’t see again.
    The bright side about that is it in a way also trained her to not have eyes
    but again thank you!

Thanks
    Update (what like 100 million now? Lol)
    I got Pinky's at the vets recommendation to sprinkle with calcium powder to again get her nutrition up from her previous home
    And she took the pinky, striked it even! I wasn't expecting it, because normally even pulling her rats out of the pail to feed her, she could sense the heat through the glass and would get excited, but with the pinky she barley reacted til I went to go set it down (expecting to brain it to get her going). Then bam! She striked and pulled the pinky in.
    Which is excellent, because she's still proving she's a fighter

Which actually brings me to a question; is this normal? I mean in your opinion to spend this much time, money and whatever resources you have to save a snakes life
    I'm asking because several of my friends and family have asked "Why are you doing this?" "Why are you spending all this money", and of course "Why don't you just put it down?"
    Put her down? The thought has never occured to me as an option and still doesn't register as one, so I'm curious, do you guys feel the same? Would you spend all the time, recourses and money you can muster to save a snake?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodayin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

I would absolutely spend all the time, money, and resources I could to save a snake's life. Our snakes are our pets and our responsibility, and they should be afforded the same love, care, and dedication any other pet would be afforded. Reptiles aren't disposables pets. I wish more people would realize that.

The lengths that you're going to for Mowgli are admirable. She should be able to adjust just fine to life without her eyes on her own -- she has her other senses to lean on. I would keep her enclosure on the simple, more sterile side for a while post-surgery to ease her recovery.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-26-2020),Kodayin (01-26-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    I would absolutely spend all the time, money, and resources I could to save a snake's life. Our snakes are our pets and our responsibility, and they should be afforded the same love, care, and dedication any other pet would be afforded. Reptiles aren't disposables pets. I wish more people would realize that.

The lengths that you're going to for Mowgli are admirable. She should be able to adjust just fine to life without her eyes on her own -- she has her other senses to lean on. I would keep her enclosure on the simple, more sterile side for a while post-surgery to ease her recovery.
    I agree, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same way. They become family. Sure they don't show love like a cat or dog, but having a snake trust you is the equivalent to love from a reptile in my opinion.

And yes, I've been constantly cleaning her cage even now. Til her surgery, I have to do everything to keep an infection from occuring (if one does), but thank you for the advice!
    I'm also going to be switching her to a new enclosure a bit tinier, and getting her new stuff that I've been wanting to set up (then keep it how its set up - not moving anything to a new spot). So again after her surgery she'll already have memory of placement of things and it'll be easier for her to move around and get to her water dish, hide, etc

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodayin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    You're definitely not the only one who feels this way about our pets, those with or without fur or legs or feathers...they're all our "family".

Plenty of people don't & may never understand...but I feel sorry for them, it's their loss.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)