Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,007

0 members and 3,007 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Possible bleeding/scale damage during shed

My BP Leo started shedding yesterday, and he was sitting out of his hide today half way through shed when I noticed pink patches.

I took him out for a closer look and it seems he has damaged himself somehow, although none of the effected area seems sensitive. I wonder if he might have caught himself between bark/stone in his viv possibly. He also has what looks like bleached scales which I think may be new and related to this shed, though not 100% on that.

Nothing is obviously bleeding and he seems fine in himself (given mid shed). What would people advise doing... Watch and wait?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    It does appear to have bled, though minimally, so I'd be inclined to either dab it with Betadine (povidone-iodine solution) or use Vetericyn (topical water-based antiseptic
    designed FOR reptile use- can find online or in many pet stores) just to help preclude infection, especially since the damp & very warm environments that your BP lives in
    also promotes plenty of harmful pathogens ("germs").

May I ask what is the humidity in his enclosure? I see that he also has stuck shed....
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-22-2020 at 04:32 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-29-2020)

Thanks

Re: Possible bleeding/scale damage during shed

Thank you for the advice, Vetericyn ordered.

Leo's cage is normally 50-60% humidity, although I have upped it for the last couple of weeks spraying water throughout the viv every day or so. It's been 70-90% most of the time since he started going pale pre shed.

This is the third shed in a row that's been a bit stuck and come off in pieces. Not sure what else I can do to improve his shed...

Thanks
    Try offering a "humid hide". What substrate are you using? One that retains humidity better works WAY better than misting. And don't feed when you see he's
    going into "blue" (shed cycle), as both digestion & shedding utilize a snake's hydration & many can't do both at the same time very well...it can cause stuck sheds.

Antiseptics are most effective with immediate use...I'm glad you'll have some on hand for next time, but it's more important to prevent infection now, so use a little
    Betadine* or even a small dab of Neosporin (designed for human use, it's safe for snakes but ONLY the kind without pain relief; use sparingly because it's petroleum
    jelly based, which can negatively impact future sheds). (*that's a brand name, generic is povidone-iodine, available in every drug & most grocery stores)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (01-22-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are a few things to address here in addition to the previous post.

First remove whatever may have caused the injury.

Second you need to provide proper humidity, I know this is harder in the winter however, bad shed obviously means poor humidity which likely means your reading are not accurate.

Third until fully healed (and I will say it will take one or two sheds) change your enclosure to something minimalist and use paper towel to keep the wound clean.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2020),dr del (01-29-2020)

Thanks

It's a bioactive enclosure, so going to something sterile would mean moving him to a rub... Not sure if this would be appropriate?

I have a humidity sensor right in the middle (put in after taking this photo) it's at ground height and leo spends about half his time under Cork bark and half basking up high so it's possible that it's less humid up high I guess.

I can't figure out what's caused the problem... Unless he's been claiming over the lights (Jungle dawn LEDs) and their fittings perhaps.

Thanks

Do you think savlon might be OK? (the only antiseptic in the house)

Thanks

Helpful advice re eating pre-shed. I will cut that out to maximise available hydration.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThinkSta For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSta View Post
    Do you think savlon might be OK? (the only antiseptic in the house)

I can't say for sure (-I have no information as to safe use on snakes so PLEASE call a local vet & ASK them if it's safe for a snake?), but for anyone who's wondering what this is: (this is from a search for HUMAN use & I can only recommend what I know for sure to be safe on a snake)

The active ingredients in Savlon products are two antiseptics, cetrimide and chlorhexidine gluconate. ... Savlon is commonly sold as an antiseptic liquid. It is used for cleansing and prevention of infection in skin lesions, including small cuts and blisters and minor burns, and is useful in first aid kits.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-22-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSta View Post
    It's a bioactive enclosure, so going to something sterile would mean moving him to a rub... Not sure if this would be appropriate?

I have a humidity sensor right in the middle (put in after taking this photo) it's at ground height and leo spends about half his time under Cork bark and half basking up high so it's possible that it's less humid up high I guess.

I can't figure out what's caused the problem... Unless he's been claiming over the lights (Jungle dawn LEDs) and their fittings perhaps.

That really complicates things, being bioactive with such a complex home, as moving him to a safe & fairly sterile tub on white paper towels might help him heal, only to
    mess up his feeding due to stress for such a big change.

Those dark green plants in the roughly the middle of the photo (just slightly left of center & right below the snake): I'm seeing little "teeth" on those plants??? Ouch!!!
    Betting that's the culprit right there, although there may be other objectionable things. (you mentioned the lights?) And there's another plant at the lower right that seems to have "fangs" too??? I'd lose anything like that, they can easily catch on a snake's skin & snakes don't know not to crawl over them, especially when they're trying to "undress".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-22-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast